• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#21 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:01 AM

Sparkmanshop if I'm not mistaken. Don't ask me which branch.

#22 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:01 PM

I'm getting quite serious about acquiring a labrador.

#23 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

Best dogs. Mine's been with me for 11 years. 

#24 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:11 PM

Quite a learning curve for me reading about them. I'll be picking from a litter of four. Purebred, with birth cert from Malaysian Kennel Association and implanted microchip. The litter is in Ipoh.

#25 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:42 AM

Today is a spdcial day. It's very rare to find a corporate/brand tagline that is remarkable. today, i may have just found one on the same caliber level as the Ultimate Driving Machine.

It's by the pet food manufscturer Purina. Here it is:

"Where our first ingredient is honesty."

#26 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:37 PM

I saw an ad yesterday about a Portuguese Water Dog for adoption. I had never considered this breed, and after some research, thought it would be a better idea than a Labrador. It doesn't shed. It is medium sized. It kept fishermen company on small boats, so is inherently people oriented. It loves to swim. Obama has one.

I went to the shelter/boarding house in Bukit Rimau, where I used to live, to see it, and the owner, a Spaniard, strongly pushed me away from the PWD. He told me to take the other dog he has for adoption, a Golden Retriever.

So here I am, sitting in my armchair, Surface in hand, with a sleeping Golden Retriever on the floor next to me. The very picture of bliss. Except it took the whole evening to get him to sleep.He is so much dog.

I'll be busy tomorrow buying pet supplies.

#27 Dano

Dano

Megatimer

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:41 AM

Congrats! A golden retriever is a wonderful people's dog. One of my favourite breeds.

#28 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:44 PM

It is comparatively very intelligent. I used to have a mongrel as a child. It was the gentlest creature ever. Loved it to bits. But it is almost comatose compared to this GR I have here. It learns so fast. It is so observant.

What dog do you have?

#29 Dano

Dano

Megatimer

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:20 PM

I never had my own dog before because my family did not allow dogs in the house, but I used to work with dog rescue. Mongrels are great, but the problem is that because they have never gone through generations of artificial selection, they exhibit a wide variety of temperament and intelligence level across individuals. You can get really sweet and smart ones, and you can also get really nasty ones. Some say the individuality is what makes them special. 

A golden retriever, on the other hand, is a nice combination of pleasant personality and intelligence. They just need sufficient mental and physical stimulation. 

How old is your golden retriever? 

#30 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:07 AM

When I saw him at the pet boarding house, I could not believe he is a purebred GR. "Aren't they larger?" I asked the Spaniard who runs the place. I was told he's about 1 year old and not yet fully grown. He was relinquished by 'an elderly lady who found him hyperactive.'

I am glad to report that I managed to tire him out today. We were out at 10am, after a short toilet walk, and reached home at 7pm. Went to collect spring water from nearby. Went down to Gombak to buy pet supplies. Walked him from Cap Square to Masjid India to the haberdasher, who found him fascinating. Waited for me while I picked up pants from trousermaker. Waited while I bought groceries. Then cloth distributor. Then shirtmaker. Then coatmaker.

Now, he's on the floor beside my bed and he can't sleep. He'd settle down, then minutes later start jerking and panting and wake himself up that way. When I was young, I too had difficulty sleeping after a stimulus packed day.

#31 NoName

NoName

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:16 AM

Try not to walk your dog on gravel after 9 am in this country, unless the area is fully shaded.

#32 urban

urban

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

I seem to recollect that Golden Retrievers do not cope well in our climate. Air-conditioning in the afternoons?

#33 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

J is so comatose it's up to me to be vigilant about the car.
IMG_4791_zpscc0c778d.jpg

It sure is nice not to be cooped up in the house.
IMG_4793_zps687b6279.jpg

Despite my size I'm still a juvenile dog, barely out of puppyhood.
IMG_4767_zpsdfab4760.jpg

#34 Dano

Dano

Megatimer

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

It might not be sleeping because it is still new to the environment. It will settle down once it gets used to the new home and routine. You do have to take a bit of care to ease it into your environment gradually. It is a gorgeous dog by the way.

So what happened after you took the last photo? It looked like it was flying towards you lol. 

#35 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:15 PM

He slept very well the first night he was here. It's the second night (last night) that he couldn't sleep.

Yeah he ran down the falls and the last meter he leapt at me. Camera sustained no damage.

Had the funnest time with him this evening. I brought him for a toilet walk (so that he doesn't defecate at home), but ended up playing with him for an hour. Man, I have so much work I should be doing instead of playing with a dog.

When I brought him home on Sunday, he was afraid of ascending stairs and totally would not descend them. He learnt to climb stairs very rapidly, within a couple of hours, but I'd still have to carry him down stairs. Until just now. After much coaxing over the last two days he finally learnt to descend stairs.

#36 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:34 PM

I seem to recollect that Golden Retrievers do not cope well in our climate. Air-conditioning in the afternoons?

It's the reason I wanted a Labrador with their shorter coat. It does sometimes pant a great deal. Its favourite place is on the terrazzo floor in the living room, directly under the fan. He prefers this over the air conditioned bedroom with the wood flooring. I think a cool flooring like terrazzo/marble is a big deal.

#37 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

Your Goldie is probably gonna be very active until it's about two years old. That was the case for our lab. In those 24 months he managed to destroy a variety of things, including a car's rear bumper, a teak door and several dropped mobile phones. But it looks like you're well placed to channel your dog's energy productively. 

#38 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:35 AM

He does have a chew drive. I give him a rawhide bone when I can't supervise him. I'm planning to get a Kong next. This is a rubber toy you stuff with treats. It's very popular. It engages them for about an hour.

#39 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:06 AM

We have had loads of those. We have now moved on to these, partly because of ageing and partly because he's no longer that interested in the other toys. Do watch out for hip dysplasia in your dog, it is a painful condition that tends to affect retrievers. Long term preventive measures can make living with it slightly easier. 

#40 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:48 PM

One of the first things I checked was the retrieving instinct of the dog. I threw a stick/twig. He trotted to it half-heartedly, sniffed it, and lost interest. Duh.

Then today I bought some tennis balls. It was like crack to him. Just the sight of the bright neon colour fascinated him, and when I bounced it off the floor he went wild.

I threw the ball and he chased after it, pounced on it, secured it in his jaws, and trotted back to me with it. We played fetch like this about 20 times today on the lawn. The perfect retriever.

It appears retrievers only retrieve objects of value, not any random sticks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users