shanecross

Trousers/Pant

Very nice hst! What are the prices like direct from Dugdale's?

You should be able to see the prices after you sign up for an account online. The linens are much lower priced than those from HFW.

Saw some super nice chinos at Uniqlo today. RM129.90. Light grey, RAF blue, pink, etc.

Which Uniqlo was that? I haven't seen any such chinos in the 1 Utama and KLCC ones.

Just finished drafting myself my trouser pattern. This is for chinos, so quite different from dress trousers. Gonna do a muslin fitting then have it made up this Saturday. The trousermaker is not that bright (the bright ones become coatmakers), but after working with him on two pairs of trousers I know he's teachable.

Trousermakers definitely make less than coatmakers. I spoke to the trousermaker today, I realise now that he is afraid of me. Shirking away in a corner, brows furrowed when I talked to him.

The hiearchy in technical skill is thus:

Coatmaker

Shirtmaker

Trousermaker

(add another 100 line breaks)

Alterations tailor

Notice I did not include "cutter" in the hiearchy. Maybe 98% of cutters in KL do not know how to draft a pattern, it is done by the coatmaker, who has never seen you so he uses a block pattern in your chest size.

The only qualification to be a cutter in KL is salesmanship, particularly of those cloths that pay the rent, i.e. Zegna & Loro Piana.

You may wonder if "cutters" are so bad, why don't coatmakers see customers and do it properly?

The two coatmakers I know who told me about their careers ... both had tailoring shops earlier in their lives. But they lack salesmanship, so one became a bankrupt (bank repossessed everything he owned) and the other basically starved for several years before giving up and becoming a coatmaker.

^^ I rather work with a skilled coatmaker than a slick salesperson. I could see how in the past they would struggle to survive, now with the Internet, word of mouth would definitely spread faster and wider.

Starting a corporate job tomorrow, as of now i have only 2 pairs or trousers that i deem formal enough for a work environment

i have a blue pair of dark blue navy wool trousers that was made up by AL my suit at the time and 1 pair of grey POW check chino's that i got from dockers awhile back,

looks something like this

CLASSIC POW CHECK SUITING WITH RED_jpg.jpg

I also have a pair of dark khaki coloured Slim Chino that im not sure would be very appropriate for workware.

I plan to commission 1-2 more pairs for rotation, any thoughts on colour or fabric

Im thinking maybe solid grey wool from TS and maybe another lighter shade of blue?

Totally regret missing out on the kerbau cloth now.

Thoughts?

My usual pant rotation looks like this:

a) navy

B) charcoal

c) mid grey

d) repetitions of the above in different cloths

e) polyester black pants (joking)

Something boring won't be noticed if you repeat them in the same week (or 2 days in a row). Its a different story for something striking, though. I've always thought chinos were too relaxed for the office environment, but this depends on where you work, and who you are in the organisation, I guess.