holymoly

A rekindled love of canvas bags

In Kyoto, I found Ki-Yan Stuzio http://www.ki-yan-stuzio.com/ which is right across the street from Yasaka Shrine (or more commonly referred to as Gion Shrine). http://www.yasaka-jinja.or.jp/ 

Ki-Yan Stuzio is an almost gaudy store full of symbolic Japanese caricatures. They have a collaboration with Ichizawa Hanpu. If the ordinary tote bags and briefcases are well, too ordinary for you and you are hankering for some Japanese graphics, these are just what Ki-Yan Stuzio offers. Link here: http://www.ki-yan-stuzio.com/?mode=grp&gid=626368&sort=n

Interestingly, the two outlets are so close to each other. They must have the difficulty persuading the other neighbouring occupants to sell their shops to them.

【所在地】〒605-0073 京都市東山区祇園町北側296
【TEL/FAX】075-746-3777
【営業時間】11:00~19:00
【定休日】不定休
【アクセス】京阪電車「祇園四条駅」から(所要時間 約8分)
      地下鉄東西線「東山」駅から(所要時間 約6分)
【駐車場】なし

【所在地】〒605-0073 京都市東山区祇園町北側292-2
【TEL/FAX】075-525-0625
【営業時間】11:00~19:00
【定休日】水曜日
【アクセス】八坂神社向かい
【駐車場】なし

There is now a good deal if you are in the market for a canvas duffel gym bag. Bespoke Post now offers a Blue Claw Co. lined canvas duffel bag in Midnight Navy, Dark Grey and Butter Tan as well as a lululemon microfiber gym towel for a mere USD$55 (or USD$45 if you join the program). 

https://www.bespokepost.com/box/sweat

The duffel bag usually sells for USD$145.

http://www.blueclawco.com/collections/all/products/hampton-duffel

Screenshot

ySAqi04.jpg

• Like 1

Brooks has presence in quite a few places in Singapore. However, the bags available are in leather and not canvas. The Hampsted Holdall kotmj shown is made of vegetable tanned leather. 

Filson 70256 'The Original Briefcase' vs ____ ? Looking for a 'business' briefacase for laptop and papers. I work in a casual setting but occasionally meet 'business' people for meetings. The Filson is my current top choice but appreciate any other suggestions. I also looked at the Chapman equivalent. 

I have a 256 and it pretty much meets all my requirements. I'm also expecting a Linjer briefcase in the mail, as an alternate, more business-like briefcase. Linjer is a start-up brand with briefcases in the USD 400 range, you can check out their thread on SF. 

• Like 1

Yeah 256 seems hard to beat. You have it in tan? I guess the black or navy ones make it more business-y by a notch. 

I have a Brady Monmouth and find it a more sophisticated briefcase in every conceivable way to the Filson 256. It's a very high end product. It costs a bit more than the Filson. Well, ok, almost double. But it's worth it.

the monmouth looks very chunky though. like, more chunky than the filson. but i like that it's a lot less cluttered with its details. 

Deciding between a olive Filson 257 and Monmouth.

Does the Monmouth stand on its own and thus not crumpling documents inside?

Filson's strap feels stiff and uncomfortable. Brady's strap feels softer but is it worth the price for a non leather strap?

They both will distress loose sheets of paper a little. It doesn't take much to distress paper. Put paper inside even a flexible plastic sheath and they will be fine. Or place paper next to laptop/tablet.

I haven't seen any broken leather tabs on SF's Filson thread. Filsons are pretty much indestructible.

i saw someone with a monmouth on the street the other day. it looked really nondescript. filson is much flashier. Leather and metal bits every where. 

Nowadays I use my Filson small duffel every day. Been doing so since at least a year, maybe longer. I bought it thinking it would be a weekend/ occasional use bag, but then found it to be perfect for daily use. Filsons are totally non-precious in build so invites a utilitarian approach to use and care, which is to say, you use it without thinking what scuffs and scrapes you cause it.

I have in my duffel my fitting kit (pins, snippers, measuring tapes), my button kit, phone charger, tea bags, camera, flash (Canon 430 EXII), notebooks, clothesbrush, toiletries bag, tablet, etc. The bag is like a bucket; it mostly stays in the car; I retrieve from it whatever I need for the moment. It goes into the hotel room with me nearly every weekend. I bring it along as carryon whenever I travel.

It works together with a Muji tote. The tote is more tactical. I transfer from the duffel to the much smaller tote what I need for a task. I carry the tote; the duffel remains in the car/room.

I mostly dislike the Muji tote and am looking for a better tote. I want something light, with longer handles.

I have talked to people, and some have the small duffel but want the medium, and some have the medium and want the small. My thoughts on this: only buy the small, never medium or large. The constraint is not volume, it is weight. A full small duffel can barely be shouldered without dislocating a joint or slipping a spinal disk. If you need to carry more stuff that what will fit in a small duffel, you need a bag with wheels.

BTW, I welcome suggestions of a duffel the same size as the Filson small duffel but with superior quality or functionality. It's something I use so often, I don't mind upgrading. The two problems that need solving are the darkness inside the bag which makes locating items difficult and a shoulder strap that has no non-slip padding.