holymoly

A rekindled love of canvas bags

Well, briefcases like the Monmouth are for office workers. I'm not an office worker.

More like a Brooks Hampstead in sand. Look at how transformable it is.

40196-1.jpg

40196-3.jpg

40196-7.jpg

Sand because it makes the interior of the bag brighter, thus easier to locate things. The LV bags have a dark brown light-absorbing interior -- impossible to find things.

Earlier there was a suggestion to review master-piece. http://master-piece.co.jp. Here are my 2 cents for what they are worth. Very well-made with quality fasteners and zippers. I especially like the swiveling pull tabs. Rather than broad nylon straps, master-piece prefers to use narrow nylon straps. Aesthetically more appealing as a casual accessory with the use of mixed materials in addition to canvas. Typified by this Hedge NO.01990 backpack. No padding though. Some level of padding on the shoulder straps. I am not sure I like some of the painted metal hook fasteners as I imagine the paint will come off at some point - see the two tiny blue coloured hooks used on the Hedge in the picture below. 

01990-d1.jpg

I found one lovely brand from Sweden called QWSTION. http://www.qwstion.com/. Nordic aesthetic, with functionality in tact. I especially like the tote. No explanation necessary - see pictures below.

qwstion_aw12_tote_wbl_co.jpg

qwstion_aw12_tote_wblk_w_co.jpg

The office totes and weekender bags are also very attractive. Some models come with padded interior for laptops.

qwstion_aw12_officetote_co_1.jpg

For those who want a utilitarian canvas bag that is not too expensive, I think this brand from Korea can perhaps be an option to consider. Monofold. http://www.monofold.com/eng/ Especially for those who like QWSTION's multifunctional bag but baulk at the prices, monofold does offer a City Carrybag that can be a tote/backpack/messenger.

http://www.monofold.com/eng/city-carrybag-series/

carry-color1.png

carry-slide-061.jpg

carry-bag_coolgrey1-600x800.jpg

carry-bag_coolgrey_111-600x800.jpg

carry-bag_coolgrey_511-600x800.jpg

carry-bag_coolgrey_321-600x800.jpg

Free worldwide shipping for orders > USD$50. 

Yes i got one, a collab with novark got it cheap from end which is 25% of top of sale price.still in store room yet to ultilize Actually busy looking for horween shell, gather i need a 4 to 5 piece to make bag. Better do it fast before someone beat me to it

The Chapman is so, soooo tempting. I checked and it is the exact same width as my Brady, so essentially the same bag, so wouldn't make sense for me to buy. Massdrop in general is fascinating, spent hours looking at stuff there last night.

Why would you rate the Chapman higher than the Brady? I thought the Brady will win because of its heritage.

The Chapman is so, soooo tempting. I checked and it is the exact same width as my Brady, so essentially the same bag, so wouldn't make sense for me to buy. Massdrop in general is fascinating, spent hours looking at stuff there last night.

I did not mean my post to make Chapman sound better than Brady. I found the Chapman at Massdrop's price to be very good value and wanted it. One can never have enough bags after all.

• Like 1

Tempted but i think the handle is overly long to be carried, and hope they offer the leather wrapped bottom, more resilient against daily wear.

Newly acquired Brady "Trout" bag - its around 13W x 11H inches. Used mainly to commute to/from work, and for short day excursions.

Stores a surprising amount of gear given its small size. Currently got a Macbook Air + charger, small bottle of water, kindle, lunch box, small umbrella (ahh the exciting life of an office worker). I would have liked to be able to fit a small shaker bottle in, but no dice. 

FullSizeRender_zpsp8lags8f.jpg

A great classic. I love the supple waterproof canvas. I went with the briefcase version for the grab handle and the removable shoulder strap.

Superlative piece of kit. Having handled a filson, I can attest that this bag is in a different league.

Yes a grab handle would have been nice. But the briefcase only comes in 16 inch width and I was looking for something smaller. Maybe an option in the future, once I sell my other kidney to fund the purchase.

A few weeks ago, an almost full bottle of water I was carrying got totally emptied whilst in the bag (I didn't screw on the cap properly).

Whilst the water resistant canvas performed more than admirably, eventually some water seeped out from the sides. After draining the bag and a short time air drying, the bag looks good as new.

I then wondered if I need to reproof the canvas down the road for it to maintain its water resistant properties. Thinking along the lines of Barbour wax cotton jackets; which need to be rewaxed every now and again for it to perform at its best in the wet.

Today I checked Brady's care instructions published on its website and it doesn't even cover the topic. Perhaps I will ask directly one day.