holymoly

A rekindled love of canvas bags

I don't think rewaxing is recommended for the triple layer canvas of Brady. Firstly, because it mostly comes from the rubber layer between the cotton canvas. And secondly, because the treatment of the cotton canvas is not wax-based.

• Like 1

Is there a "go to" brand for Japanese canvas bags? E.g. Filson for USA and Brady for Europe. Ichizawa seems to be the brand that everyone is most familiar with.

There's also Billingham based in the UK. 

Not surprisingly, it seems to me that Brady is far more popular in Japan than it is in the UK (based on internets presence as a judge).

I think an extensive list of canvas bag producers in the US, UK and Japan has been covered by Holymoly in the first posts of this thread. Perhaps he can weigh in on which Jap brands are regarded as "go to"?

Really it depends on where you are in Japan. Sometimes it is more about convenience, accessibility and the overall style of the bag you are going for. Definitely Ichizawa is probably the most well-known and has probably the longest history of the Japanese bag producers. It does provide customization. If you are in the vicinity, go check it out.  

I should also update that Sankodo Hinomoto Hanpu has shuttered the Ekimise store and that they have also shut down the http://gyuga.co.jp website. The new URL should now be at http://www.sankodo-sac.jp/.  Also Facebook https://www.facebook.com/%E6%97%A5%E4%B9%83%E6%9C%AC%E5%B8%86%E5%B8%83-753940884712066/

10-year old bag on the left vs a current bag on the right. Same exact style. It does have that Filson aesthetic, if that is what you are into. For what is worth, I had been demonstrated the water resistance ability of Sankodo Hinomoto Hanpu. On the other hand I am not sure if canvas used by Ichizawa Hanpu has been treated for water resistance to that degree. One thing of note, I will say that the majority of bags I see from hanpu producers do not come with laptop sleeve or padded laptop compartments. Generally if you lay the bag GENTLY, the laptop inside should be ok, especially if cushioned against all the other stuff in the bag. If on the other hand, you like tossing your bag, you might want to consider buying a thin polyurethane laptop sleeve. .  

hanpu_20160525_01.jpg

hanpu_20160525_05.jpghanpu_20160525_06.jpg

I don't think rewaxing is recommended for the triple layer canvas of Brady. Firstly, because it mostly comes from the rubber layer between the cotton canvas. And secondly, because the treatment of the cotton canvas is not wax-based.

Ah so its triple layer, thanks for the insight. 

Low maintenance, I like. 

6, cheers for pointing out Billingham. If that's true perhaps I might end up thrifting a Brady over in Japan with luck.

Holy, ah was a bit ambiguous but you read my mind. Durability was what I had in mind and I will keep Sankodo in mind! Thanks a lot. Your bag adventures remind me of those shoes adventures people do in Hungary. Lol.

Let us know how your thrifting in Japan works out. I did not find that bags in thrift ships were all that attractively priced from my previous attempts. Perhaps it is the currency exchange rate. I hope you will have much better luck than I did. If you are on a thrifting mission I suggest having a day trip to Shimokitazawa. https://tokyocheapo.com/locations/west-tokyo/shimokitazawa-2/

Just a tiny warning to those consider Billingham and Brady rubberized canvas as somehow better than the other types of canvas available elsewhere. I have handled older Billinghams and they do show delamination. Billingham has acknowledged this in the past (circa 2011?) that the rubber will delaminate in older bags, and will harden/crack/deteriorate over time. In our climate, this process is likely to be more accelerated. Once you see delamination, it is likely that the bags will not be waterproof (or stormproof as Billingham calls it). Also, if you do buy Billingham camera bags, the warranty is on the bag itself and not on the foam inserts. The foam inserts will disintegrate and you will need to replace them on your dime. 

Here is the new Hadley One. The Hadley now has a carrying handle. The shoulder strap comes with a shoulder pad. The laptop sleeve is now fixed but still lightly padded. The camera inserts can be fastened down. The rear zipper is a YKK rainproof one. Importantly, it now has a luggage pass through for luggage handles so that one can have brief moment of respite for those aching shoulders while trying to look cool jetsetting. I hope I resist the temptation to go to the store to see it. 

mg_0100.jpg?w=1536&h=1025

Let us know how your thrifting in Japan works out. I did not find that bags in thrift ships were all that attractively priced from my previous attempts. Perhaps it is the currency exchange rate. I hope you will have much better luck than I did. If you are on a thrifting mission I suggest having a day trip to Shimokitazawa. https://tokyocheapo.com/locations/west-tokyo/shimokitazawa-2/

Cheers Holy! Won't be anytime soon as I had just came back. That's right but they can have more second-hand LV bags than the actual boutique over there! Thanks for the link and the extra info on Brady!

Here is something I thrifted recently. But here in the Klang Valley. I honestly got too many bags but what's one more. It's a vintage LL Bean from what I can tell. From Japan. Soft and the size of a camera bag. I think its a good size for a weekender. Bought at a 'kedai bundle' which brings in stuff from Japan (just before the Batu Tiga toll on Fed. Highway - Bunduro. Can find some Yoshida Porter bags in good nick occasionally). More photos and the usual write up on the blog

DSC03882%2B%255BDesktop%2BResolution%255

• Like 1