87 replies to this topic

#41 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,685 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:58 PM

I have a Brady Monmouth and find it a more sophisticated briefcase in every conceivable way to the Filson 256. It's a very high end product. It costs a bit more than the Filson. Well, ok, almost double. But it's worth it.

#42 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:47 PM

the monmouth looks very chunky though. like, more chunky than the filson. but i like that it's a lot less cluttered with its details. 

#43 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,685 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:21 PM

The Filson has a slimmer profile, but chunky the Monmouth is not. (And superior in every other way.)
filsonbrady_zpssiralvdc.jpg

#44 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:56 AM

thanks for the comparison pic

#45 pennyboy

pennyboy

Nanotimer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:17 AM

Deciding between a olive Filson 257 and Monmouth.

Does the Monmouth stand on its own and thus not crumpling documents inside?

Filson's strap feels stiff and uncomfortable. Brady's strap feels softer but is it worth the price for a non leather strap?

#46 navic

navic

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 04:31 AM

I was wondering... would those leather tabs every break from the weight of holding the bag?

#47 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,685 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:59 PM

They both will distress loose sheets of paper a little. It doesn't take much to distress paper. Put paper inside even a flexible plastic sheath and they will be fine. Or place paper next to laptop/tablet.

I haven't seen any broken leather tabs on SF's Filson thread. Filsons are pretty much indestructible.

#48 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:07 AM

i saw someone with a monmouth on the street the other day. it looked really nondescript. filson is much flashier. Leather and metal bits every where. 

#49 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,685 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:27 PM

Nowadays I use my Filson small duffel every day. Been doing so since at least a year, maybe longer. I bought it thinking it would be a weekend/ occasional use bag, but then found it to be perfect for daily use. Filsons are totally non-precious in build so invites a utilitarian approach to use and care, which is to say, you use it without thinking what scuffs and scrapes you cause it.

I have in my duffel my fitting kit (pins, snippers, measuring tapes), my button kit, phone charger, tea bags, camera, flash (Canon 430 EXII), notebooks, clothesbrush, toiletries bag, tablet, etc. The bag is like a bucket; it mostly stays in the car; I retrieve from it whatever I need for the moment. It goes into the hotel room with me nearly every weekend. I bring it along as carryon whenever I travel.

It works together with a Muji tote. The tote is more tactical. I transfer from the duffel to the much smaller tote what I need for a task. I carry the tote; the duffel remains in the car/room.

I mostly dislike the Muji tote and am looking for a better tote. I want something light, with longer handles.

I have talked to people, and some have the small duffel but want the medium, and some have the medium and want the small. My thoughts on this: only buy the small, never medium or large. The constraint is not volume, it is weight. A full small duffel can barely be shouldered without dislocating a joint or slipping a spinal disk. If you need to carry more stuff that what will fit in a small duffel, you need a bag with wheels.

BTW, I welcome suggestions of a duffel the same size as the Filson small duffel but with superior quality or functionality. It's something I use so often, I don't mind upgrading. The two problems that need solving are the darkness inside the bag which makes locating items difficult and a shoulder strap that has no non-slip padding.

#50 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:12 PM

^ eh.. then where does your monmouth come in?

#51 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,685 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:17 PM

Well, briefcases like the Monmouth are for office workers. I'm not an office worker.

#52 takashi

takashi

Megatimer

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:15 AM

Get another Glaser? :)

#53 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,685 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:17 AM

More like a Brooks Hampstead in sand. Look at how transformable it is.

40196-1.jpg

40196-3.jpg

40196-7.jpg

Sand because it makes the interior of the bag brighter, thus easier to locate things. The LV bags have a dark brown light-absorbing interior -- impossible to find things.

#54 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,685 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:12 AM

How tincloth is made
http://www.motherear...0z1303zpit.aspx

#55 holymoly

holymoly

Megatimer

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:11 PM

Earlier there was a suggestion to review master-piece. http://master-piece.co.jp. Here are my 2 cents for what they are worth. Very well-made with quality fasteners and zippers. I especially like the swiveling pull tabs. Rather than broad nylon straps, master-piece prefers to use narrow nylon straps. Aesthetically more appealing as a casual accessory with the use of mixed materials in addition to canvas. Typified by this Hedge NO.01990 backpack. No padding though. Some level of padding on the shoulder straps. I am not sure I like some of the painted metal hook fasteners as I imagine the paint will come off at some point - see the two tiny blue coloured hooks used on the Hedge in the picture below. 

01990-d1.jpg

#56 holymoly

holymoly

Megatimer

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:21 PM

I found one lovely brand from Sweden called QWSTION. http://www.qwstion.com/. Nordic aesthetic, with functionality in tact. I especially like the tote. No explanation necessary - see pictures below.

qwstion_aw12_tote_wbl_co.jpg

qwstion_aw12_tote_wblk_w_co.jpg

The office totes and weekender bags are also very attractive. Some models come with padded interior for laptops.

qwstion_aw12_officetote_co_1.jpg

#57 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:24 PM

I just got this bag

#58 holymoly

holymoly

Megatimer

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:28 PM

For those who want a utilitarian canvas bag that is not too expensive, I think this brand from Korea can perhaps be an option to consider. Monofold. http://www.monofold.com/eng/ Especially for those who like QWSTION's multifunctional bag but baulk at the prices, monofold does offer a City Carrybag that can be a tote/backpack/messenger.

http://www.monofold....arrybag-series/

carry-color1.png

carry-slide-061.jpg

carry-bag_coolgrey1-600x800.jpg

carry-bag_coolgrey_111-600x800.jpg

carry-bag_coolgrey_511-600x800.jpg

carry-bag_coolgrey_321-600x800.jpg

Free worldwide shipping for orders > USD$50. 

#59 holymoly

holymoly

Megatimer

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:15 PM

I just got this bag

I like the use of the soft flannel in the interior. 

#60 takashi

takashi

Megatimer

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 04:33 PM

Waiting for Ivan to reply and post  that he has 7 pieces of Master Piece en route to him and that he got one of each :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users