Sign in to follow this  
kotmj

Forum matters

^Good to know!

Saturday has a much reduced turnout for the kerbau. People are busy enjoying life -- only 89 unique visitors compared to 111 on Friday.

Apparently there is no app yet for IPB board on android.

In other news, we have our first Thai member today!

I don't think it's David. Hopefully he can tell us a bit about the Bangkok scene.

There is no faster way to kill this forum than by proclaiming the presence of lawyers. Let's get back to male hedonism quickly.

Hurray, I was forced to upgrade to an even more capacious (and expensive) hosting package. Keep it up!

Quality is still very high.

The quality of the members of this forum is quite high.95 percent of the members of this forum that I have had the pleasure to meet and get to know are very classy people. Great to talk to, knowledgeable, nice, honest and they have class. Class is not how rich or poor you are, it's how you carry yourself and how you treat others. You may wear nice things and are fortunate enough to afford nice stuffs in life but it does not matter if you have no class.

Yes, we all talk about fine stuff and things but what really attracts me to this forum are its classy members. well done thekerbau!

Guys anyone else have problems with the search bar? mine seems to be unclickable like there is a block on it seems to be a HTML problem. I've tried it on 2 browsers

sreachbar.png

Search works fine with me. Maybe try searching the site through google, e.g.

alumo site: thekerbau.com

On my iphone running safari, the threads automatically jump to the latest post just by clicking the title. On my mac, i have to click on 'show unread post'

I would like to wish all kerbaus an exciting year ahead. 2012 has been an intriguing year for me personally, and a fantastic year for the forum. I say fantastic despite the slow and linear new member growth. To qualify as good, growth must have the appelation "exponential". But new member growth is not the point of the forum.

The point of the forum is the surfacing of news, thoughts, and lines of inquiry that are interesting to the members. It is doing very well in this regard. I find myself quite addicted to the forum.

One thing surprised me: the level of activity in the "Dress Shoes" thread. I would never have guessed the enthusiasm members have for good shoes. The second surprise is the embarrassing amount of documented expenditures in the "Latest Hauls" thread.

The general atmosphere of the forum is one of camaraderie -- I could not wish for better.

The question now for whoever runs the forum is: What are the projects in the pipeline for 2013? I have a general idea of the direction I'm headed in my own business, but I am clueless when it comes to the forum. (Maybe it's time for a change at the top.) Or maybe a forum is a bottom-up affair -- the inclinations and enthusiams of the members determine how the forum develops.

Looking forward to the ride in 2013.

• Like 3

Happy New Year! Found the forum through random Google searches. Like the general clean look of the forum. By the way, not sure if this has been asked before but why The Kerbau? Also if the logo project has been coming along nicely? Thanks!

When I was a student I read a site by the name of thecicak.com. It was a political/social commentary site, and the image of a gecko on the wall observing going-ons stuck in my mind. I do not read local newspaper sites because I found the level of intellect too low. Even today I actively avoid reading local newspapers or watching tv.

I was casting around for a name when I thought of thecicak. A gecko is a rather generic animal. I was looking for something indigenous and something nice to pronounce. Kerbau is nice to pronounce and sounds primal -- it feels like a very old word. Some Malay words are from Sanskrit the way some English words are French. I thought kerbau sounded very indigenous, very local. I felt that thekerbau was a name that would lodge itself in the mind, is nice to pronounce, and short to type.

^ solid reasoning :-p

Is there a way we can collate good posts relating to various topics in one place ( e.g. common fit problems, what is collar gap, where to find shoe polish accessories in Malaysia/ London/ Singapore)? Makes it easier for newbies - and for senior members, as they dont have to keep reposting the same stuff.

I know forums commonly use 'stickies'. Obviously

im not completely aware of what this means in terms of costs (both monetary and man hours having to set up/ police the stickies).