Sign in to follow this  
kotmj

Forum matters

There will be some scheduled downtime.

"Maintenance Notice - In order to provide a higher level of performance and service for our customers, we will be upgrading the server your site is located on this evening, this upgrade will improve the performance and increase it's availability and uptime. While we try to minimize any schedule downtime, this upgrade will require approx. 1-2 hours of downtime for this process. We have scheduled this for between the hours of Friday April 19th at 23:00 and 03:00 EDT Saturday. "

If any of you registered for an account but received no confirmation from the admin, please say so here. Due to the quantity of bot registrations, it is very possible I have mistaken you for a bot and deleted it.

The forum will very soon undergo an update of the software it runs on. A consequence of this may be that the skin that you see may break, i.e. not render at all. So you may see the forum in a very different template until I get another skin to suit it, for which I may not have the time to do, not quickly in any case.

Here is the request for upgrade I received from the hosting company:

---------------------------------------------------------

You are receiving this notice because our records indicate you are running a version of our community software that is significantly out of date and at the End of Life (EOL) cycle.

We announced the end of life for the 3.1.x series on Feb 12th 2012 here http://community.inv...e-announcement/ and for 3.2 series on Nov 28th 2012 here http://community.inv...s-155-released/

In an effort to accommodate our customers to the best of our ability, we have allowed hosting customers to remain on these outdated versions, however, we have now reached a point where we must force an upgrade to the latest version to ensure maximum performance, stability and security not only for you, but for other customers as well.

Because we recognize upgrades can be invasive in regards to modifications and cosmetic alterations, we are allowing 30 days to complete the upgrade process. After this period has lapsed, we will unfortunately have no other choice but to disable access to the site until which time an upgrade has been performed.

You can upgrade by simply using the auto upgrader from the client area or by submitting a ticket to our installs and upgrade department as well.

if you are now ready to upgrade and would like us to perform this for you, please agree to the following and we will get this over to our upgrade department for you and process your upgrade.

I just took at peek at Google Analytics. I rarely look at it. Maybe once every couple of months.

Number of unique visitors have been stagnant since founding. Around 130 unique visitors per day, of which close to 90% are returning instead of new. It's interesting that despite the vastly larger database of the forum, and thus how much easier it is to discover the forum via a google search for, say, Vass shoes, that the number of unique visitors simply would not increase. When the forum was young and the database small, we had 130/day. After a year, and a database several multiples the size, we still only have 130/day.

An amazing thing happened in April 2013. The number of Singaporean visitors exceeded the Malaysian ones (41% vs. 40%)! But in May (this month), balance was restored with 41% of the visitors coming from Malaysia and 34% from Singapore. About 8% are from the UK and a further 5% from Australia.

I once said to a friend that it would be natural for the forum to have more Singaporean vistors than Malaysian ones simply because there are lots of Singaporeans interested in nice stuff. We're not quite there yet.

An interesting fact: In May, of the over 8000 visits, 6800 of those visits were made less than 24 hours before the previous visit. The number of visits which took place more than 24 hours after the previous visit was only 546. In other words, the overwhelming majority of visitors come to the forum more than once a day.

• Like 1

Everybody, listen up. Be wary if you are contacted via PM by members who almost never post anything of relevance or quality, and who are generally not known, and who want to involve you in a transaction involving money/goods. You are not going to get rich transacting with someone over a forum. Don't do it.

• Like 1

Thanks carbman & holymoly.

I've just disabled commenting by guest accounts. This means we will no longer have spam (hurrah!) but it also means we will lose out on the occasional spontaneous comments by lurkers.

One issue I had noticed earlier but did not mention is that the way the current forum handles quoted postings. I can hardly distinguish where the quoted sentences end and where the new sentences begin.  Just wish that the quoted sentences are either in italics/another colour or boxed up properly.

The quote problem is a recent one. It appeared when the hosting company upgraded the software to a new version. However, the skin we're on was optimised for a relatively old version of the hosting software, and the recent upgrade caused the skin to become broken. Normally, one would simply upgrade to a newer version of the same skin. But this skin we're on is no longer supported. Which is why I'm looking to settle on another skin.

I'm having reservations about Gridlock. I once went on a local BMW forum and the people there were very passionate about their cars. BMW helped organize an event for them. Pictures were duly posted. It was shocking to see how the forumers look. It was evident they were severely over invested in their car and outrageously underinvested in most of the others aspects of life. It's the same thing with American watch forums. They would go on a tour of Patek, and there you see them in Nikes and fly fishing jackets over t shirts, and beards.

What makes this forum special is the more balanced interests members have. Of course we each have out pet topics---suits for some, watches for others, etc. But people here are more holistic than elsewhere.

A skin like Gridlock obscures the activity going on in other spheres. I would like a skin that allows people to easily see the activity in the various sub-foras, to encourage browsing in all sorts of topics from books to food to clothes to cars.

Don't sweat too much about the choice of skin. I used to moderate and host a couple of forums and it was all hard work so I appreciate that you are fretting over the little details. The longevity of a forum depends on quality of postings and traffic.

On the little details, I have more to add. There is a logo on the Facebook page. If the logo is original, do you want to display it prominently on the forum? Next, my opinion is that the origins of TheKerbau should be stickered. I love an introduction and having a name TheKerbau does not necessarily make one associate with men's style. Third, I urge that if you have problems sustaining the website due to cost, please be frank. If this is not the last thing I will mention is that we already seen a couple of episodes of feuding. I suggest private messages be sent to calm things around. Like to think we are all fairly reasonable adults in real and virtual worlds.

B)