Sign in to follow this  
kotmj

Forum matters

Top part being white makes the whole thing look a bit spartan, I just have to get used to it I guess. 

It IS easy to read, and the font looks great! 

Yeah, I think the typography/fonts are just great. This skin originally came with something called "sliders" at the top of the page -- basically a 1000px X 344px slide show. A bit like what is used on SF. I removed the slider section.

Some forums have threads which are horizontal while forums like The Kerbau and lowyat are vertical. A vertical thread structure is one where most of the discussion about a topic takes place within a single thread. A good example of this is The Suiting Thread, now at 211 pages. Forums like styleforum and superfuture have a horizontal thread structure where discussions are spread over many threads.

I think I want to transition to a horizontal thread structure. 

We went from 1 to 200 members pretty quickly. But it took forever to go from 200 to 300 members.

Today, we have our 300th member.

I wonder what it says about the forum that his handle is "ahbeng". From Hong Kong.

Anyway, welcome!

Greetings!

I'm glad I'm member #300... if I was a betting man I'd try the lottery.

Sorry for the late introduction... I was born in Malaysia, grew up in Singapore (don't judge me) and when I was 16 I moved over to Sydney, Australia. After working for years in Sydney, then the US, then back in Sydney again, I got a job opportunity in Hong Kong and have been here for the past two years.

I'm known by my friends in Sydney as "ahbeng"... as I'm proud of my Southeast Asian roots... but embarrassingly I don't speak hokkien.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the introduction. "Ah Beng", you will be dismayed to know, is now used to describe a certain style of dress and behavior in this part of the world that is the opposite of what most aspire to on this forum. But never mind that!

Some forums have threads which are horizontal while forums like The Kerbau and lowyat are vertical. A vertical thread structure is one where most of the discussion about a topic takes place within a single thread. A good example of this is The Suiting Thread, now at 211 pages. Forums like styleforum and superfuture have a horizontal thread structure where discussions are spread over many threads.

I think I want to transition to a horizontal thread structure. 

I think as a forum becomes more specialized, and the activity increases, it is inevitable that it adopts a horizontal thread structure. A vertical thread structure is better for a topic that has lower activity and lower specialization.

It's like with a subject like mathematics. It is taught as that in primary school: just mathematics. But at the highest levels, in academia, mathematics is highly fragmented. It is split into many specializations, each a vast field of its own.

You see this on the watch forums. Where on this forum watches occupy a single thread, on the watch forums it is highly fragmented. That's because the activity and the specialization are high.

And so with a topic like tailored suits, it is inevitable that the topic is discussed on several threads, because that topic is so big on this forum. I'm surprised we stuck to a single thread on such a forum mainstay for so long.

Another topic that deserves horizontality is with shoes. A big portion of the Dress Shoes thread is actually about shoe care. The topic of Saphir alone should have a thread of its own!

A horizontal thread structure is also good for those who do not want their posts to be buried in a high activity thread. They can create a thread just for their question/request for feedback. For better or for worse.

They can create a thread just for their question/request for feedback. For better or for worse.

Please don't plant these ideas into the young ones.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just noticed the 'build theme' icon on top left corner which allows you to select the background colour on your screen. Nice.

I am unable to post on my home pc using Chrome. All the while was no problem.

Have to use Chrome on IOS or IE on pc to post now.

Kept getting this error code while trying to insert an image in a post there:

Warning: Base directory HTML_PURIFIER_PATHcache/tmp does not exist, please create or change using %Cache.SerializerPath in/home/thekerba/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php on line 133

It renders as normal with me. Maybe your internet connection slowed down for a while and it rendered in plain html.

In Internet Explorer, cut and paste seem to be impossible in formatting replies to topics. I cannot quote replies as well. As such I now use Chrome specifically for kerbau.com.

There is a new version of the skin we're on. It's from December, so pretty fresh. I'll try installing that build and see if the bugs some of you are experiencing are fixed.

There is a new version of the skin we're on. It's from December, so pretty fresh. I'll try installing that build and see if the bugs some of you are experiencing are fixed.

I see this a build 3.4.4 on my screen, but am unsure as to why I'd have to install the software on my own pc?  I'm running Windows 8 and firefox on a new laptop now and still have the same trouble.