140 replies to this topic

#41 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

When I was a student I read a site by the name of thecicak.com. It was a political/social commentary site, and the image of a gecko on the wall observing going-ons stuck in my mind. I do not read local newspaper sites because I found the level of intellect too low. Even today I actively avoid reading local newspapers or watching tv.

I was casting around for a name when I thought of thecicak. A gecko is a rather generic animal. I was looking for something indigenous and something nice to pronounce. Kerbau is nice to pronounce and sounds primal -- it feels like a very old word. Some Malay words are from Sanskrit the way some English words are French. I thought kerbau sounded very indigenous, very local. I felt that thekerbau was a name that would lodge itself in the mind, is nice to pronounce, and short to type.

#42 holymoly

holymoly

Megatimer

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Appreciate the story. I hope I am not the only one working out the association between menswear and a water buffalo.

#43 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

Hah. I used to comment on The Cicak, especially when the posts were intolerably stupid.

#44 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

The Cicak appears defunct. Not even an archive exists. A pity.

#45 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:40 AM

The forum now has a facebook page, though what to put there requires some imagination. The logo belongs to some other company -- a placeholder for now.
http://www.facebook....524548800929011

#46 Zarium

Zarium

Megatimer

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

2nd like!

#47 Zarium

Zarium

Megatimer

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

I think it'll function to promote awareness of the forum somewhat, but when it comes to actual content...

#48 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

Just saw the forum tittle, have we became the leading Asian menswear forum? Not bad at all

#49 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

Well, I can't think of anyone ahead of us, so we must be leading.

#50 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

^ solid reasoning :-p

Is there a way we can collate good posts relating to various topics in one place ( e.g. common fit problems, what is collar gap, where to find shoe polish accessories in Malaysia/ London/ Singapore)? Makes it easier for newbies - and for senior members, as they dont have to keep reposting the same stuff.

I know forums commonly use 'stickies'. Obviously
im not completely aware of what this means in terms of costs (both monetary and man hours having to set up/ police the stickies).

#51 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

It's quite easy to have stickies here. I'll look into this.

#52 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

There will be some scheduled downtime.

"Maintenance Notice - In order to provide a higher level of performance and service for our customers, we will be upgrading the server your site is located on this evening, this upgrade will improve the performance and increase it's availability and uptime. While we try to minimize any schedule downtime, this upgrade will require approx. 1-2 hours of downtime for this process. We have scheduled this for between the hours of Friday April 19th at 23:00 and 03:00 EDT Saturday. "

#53 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:03 AM

If any of you registered for an account but received no confirmation from the admin, please say so here. Due to the quantity of bot registrations, it is very possible I have mistaken you for a bot and deleted it.

#54 Zarium

Zarium

Megatimer

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

Isn't it possible to implement some sort of measure to stop bots from spam-registering?

#55 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

The forum will very soon undergo an update of the software it runs on. A consequence of this may be that the skin that you see may break, i.e. not render at all. So you may see the forum in a very different template until I get another skin to suit it, for which I may not have the time to do, not quickly in any case.

Here is the request for upgrade I received from the hosting company:
---------------------------------------------------------

You are receiving this notice because our records indicate you are running a version of our community software that is significantly out of date and at the End of Life (EOL) cycle.

We announced the end of life for the 3.1.x series on Feb 12th 2012 here http://community.inv...e-announcement/ and for 3.2 series on Nov 28th 2012 here http://community.inv...s-155-released/

In an effort to accommodate our customers to the best of our ability, we have allowed hosting customers to remain on these outdated versions, however, we have now reached a point where we must force an upgrade to the latest version to ensure maximum performance, stability and security not only for you, but for other customers as well.

Because we recognize upgrades can be invasive in regards to modifications and cosmetic alterations, we are allowing 30 days to complete the upgrade process. After this period has lapsed, we will unfortunately have no other choice but to disable access to the site until which time an upgrade has been performed.

You can upgrade by simply using the auto upgrader from the client area or by submitting a ticket to our installs and upgrade department as well.

if you are now ready to upgrade and would like us to perform this for you, please agree to the following and we will get this over to our upgrade department for you and process your upgrade.

#56 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:08 AM

The forum has just been upgraded. The skin appears intact still.

#57 Petia

Petia

Megatimer

• Members
  • 754 posts
  • LocationPulau Semakau

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

New facebook and twitter sharing icons on the mobile site

#58 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:40 PM

I just took at peek at Google Analytics. I rarely look at it. Maybe once every couple of months.

Number of unique visitors have been stagnant since founding. Around 130 unique visitors per day, of which close to 90% are returning instead of new. It's interesting that despite the vastly larger database of the forum, and thus how much easier it is to discover the forum via a google search for, say, Vass shoes, that the number of unique visitors simply would not increase. When the forum was young and the database small, we had 130/day. After a year, and a database several multiples the size, we still only have 130/day.

An amazing thing happened in April 2013. The number of Singaporean visitors exceeded the Malaysian ones (41% vs. 40%)! But in May (this month), balance was restored with 41% of the visitors coming from Malaysia and 34% from Singapore. About 8% are from the UK and a further 5% from Australia.

I once said to a friend that it would be natural for the forum to have more Singaporean vistors than Malaysian ones simply because there are lots of Singaporeans interested in nice stuff. We're not quite there yet.

An interesting fact: In May, of the over 8000 visits, 6800 of those visits were made less than 24 hours before the previous visit. The number of visits which took place more than 24 hours after the previous visit was only 546. In other words, the overwhelming majority of visitors come to the forum more than once a day.

#59 residentdandy

residentdandy

Megatimer

• Members
  • 438 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:34 AM

Something's odd with the quotes function

"In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing." - Oscar Wilde

http:/www.instagram.com/residentdandy

#60 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

I think it's time to change to a different skin. This skin was designed by a student, now 21 years old, who has stopped supporting his skins.

Which should I go for: Concise, or Gridlock?

http://www.ipbforums...remade_ipb3.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users