Sign in to follow this  
urban

Cycles

Huh. I did not expect there to be cycling enthusiasts here. Thought it is too hot here to cycle much. I don't.

Huh. I did not expect there to be cycling enthusiasts here. Thought it is too hot here to cycle much. I don't.

Not if you cycle in the middle of the night or early morning. I am a Brompton bicycle rider.

I don't cycle often. Occasionally when the mood hits...and just around the neighbourhood. The Brooks saddle reminded me of days gone by. Had to have it on my bike.

The Brooks saddle is the most comfortable saddle I've ever used. Simple in construction, it relies on the stiff leather to break into the shape of one's butt, moulding itself perfectly, giving the best possible support.

I thought modern cyclists will prefer the likes of fizik, and other lighter saddles.

There's also sub culture within cycling for the vintage looking cycles and etc

This is my city bike that I ride only around my neighborhood only - full titanium custom fitted to my built, perfectly balanced with XTR fits. For plantation, I ride aluminium Legendary Klein attitude.

I rode around the world when I was 45. Took me 8 months and 21 days.

Why is the saddle so high up? I was taught that for safety reasons, you should be able touch the ground with the toes of both feet.

A piece of trivia nobody needs but is nonetheless interesting: My late grandmother told me that rubbertappers would extract the crankshaft which connected both pedals and bring it to the bladesmith who would fashion a rubber tapping knife out of it.

A piece of trivia nobody needs but is nonetheless interesting: My late grandmother told me that rubbertappers would extract the crankshaft which connected both pedals and bring it to the bladesmith who would fashion a rubber tapping knife out of it.

The part is called a bottom bracket. On the old black 'basikal tua' most people used those days It is usually made of fairly strong steel (which does break occasionally - it has happened to me when I was cycling to school ages ago). I suppose the shape is close enough and it is strong enough to shape a knife out of it. I think it cost less than RM15 in the 1980s. But I was a kid back then and rm15-20 was still a lot of money. 

Optimum saddle height ...knees only slightly bent during the down stroke so that there is energy efficiency whilst pedaling. Your legs are the power source here.