#1 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

What are your favourite fragrances?

I'm a newbie and I got into it mainly through osmosis (literally?) from my better half.

On my list of favourites now are:
Diptyque Eau Duelle
Diptyque Vetyvero
Penhaligon's Endymion

#2 shanecross

shanecross

Megatimer

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:24 PM

I have been hunting for this particular fragrance "Caron pour un homme" and I could not find it anywhere, not even the self-proclaimed "complete" perfume outlet at Sephora. Anyone can help?

#3 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

Ever the smalltimer, I have only two: L'eau D'Issey Intense (immediate appeal) and the more complex YSL Kouros.

#4 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

Shanecross, I smelled that in Taipei recently. It was at a shop called Cyrano in the Bellavita mall. I am told that you can try your luck at those deadstock perfume places like 'Jasina' in Singapore. No places in KL, unfortunately.

kotmj, try Escentials at Isetan KLCC after they finish renovating. Or Penhaligon's or Escentials the next time you're in Singapore.

#5 shanecross

shanecross

Megatimer

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:15 AM

Ahh..i see..how much do they cost in SG? Im assuming around that 70-80SGD range? Just curious, did you like how it smelt?

#6 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:13 AM

You gents should get some next level Frederic Malle scents from Malmaison in Singapore. All the names I can't even pronounce - means must be next level ;p

http://shop.frederic...php?___store=en

#7 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:41 AM

I'm using creed silver mountain water, bvlgari man, escada n cpl hugo boss. Looking for Penhailagon english fern next. I found that some of perfumes in KL is cheaper than Singapore ie creed i bought in sg was actually cheaper in KL at Isetan KLCC but marginally.

I was in Manila i was introduced to Maison Francis Kurkdijan and Floris. Francis Kurdijan was really nice but crazy expensive, Floris was just slightly cheaper. I cant see myself paying that much for a perfume. Shanecross why dont u try this website. I saw your parfums caron on there. They've got brands i've never heard of and cost an arm and a leg.

http://shop.lessente...zMgJ2onMSVHFQQ=

#8 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

I've always enjoyed the way Luca Turin writes about perfumes. Download the pdf version of his blog here:

http://www.flexitral...Blogtextweb.pdf

#9 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

Found a talk by Luca Turin
http://www.ted.com/t...e_of_scent.html

#10 shanecross

shanecross

Megatimer

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

Managed to order this for RM150.
http://www.basenotes...st/26121316.jpg

#11 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

I like Caron Tabac Blond. On a sidenote, has anyone tried the hammam at bangsar village? One of the foundations of modern fragrance notes.

(null)

#12 attacusatlas

attacusatlas

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

has a small collection of fragrances and am currently rotating these four:

1. comme des garcons 2
2. jo malone vetyver
4. six scents series two nicoll no 17
5. maison francis kurdjian apom

Posted Image

#13 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

Found this quite a while back but never managed to buy anything from them. But the prices were extremely reasonable.

http://anglia-perfumery.com/

#14 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

I currently have

Frederic Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire (a green vetiver scent, suitable for our warmer weather. I found that Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver was far too smoky for my liking)
Frederic Malle's Geranium Pour Monsieur (a minty start that gives way to geranium notes)
Amouage's Memoir (a little absinthy, minty, at the start but evolves into a very nice woody smell)
Tom Ford's Azure Lime (citrus top note for the warm weather)
Van Cleef & Arpels' Midnight in Paris (a floral, date night fragrance for me)

The Vetiver Extraordinaire and Midnight in Pairs have been absolute winners with women so far. The Geranium Pour Monsieur's top note is usually a little bit unusual for women but the middle and base notes smell much better to the ones I've tested it on. If you go for a vetiver fragrance, definitely give the Vetiver Extraordinaire a whiff!

I just moved back from London and have only gotten into fragrances recently. While I was there I spent some time walking around visiting the British scent brands retail outlets - Penhaligon's, Floris, and Jo Malone but found them rather weaker (mostly EDTs instead of EDPs) and less developed relative to the French and Italian fragrance houses, but that's just my untrained nose speaking so do share your opinions!

#15 lonegranite

lonegranite

Nanotimer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

sorry the above post was me.

#16 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

The Vetiver Extraordinaire and Midnight in Pairs have been absolute winners with women so far. The Geranium Pour Monsieur's top note is usually a little bit unusual for women but the middle and base notes smell much better to the ones I've tested it on. If you go for a vetiver fragrance, definitely give the Vetiver Extraordinaire a whiff!

Glad you included this section in your review. The ultimate litmus test for scents is the effect they have on the women in your life (not including grandma, mom, pet goat).

I'll definitely give the Malle Vetiver a whiff if I'm ever in Singapore.

#17 Misfit123

Misfit123

Megatimer

• The Shoe Fairy
  • 476 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:47 PM

got an interesting present today.. there's menthol in it that somehow reminds me of minyak cap kapak.....

Posted Image

#18 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

My morning scent after showering since 2008:

Posted Image

I'm on a horse.

#19 Zinzan