"6"

The watch appreciation thread

Hi guys, I guess it's only natural to have this thread. Show off your time pieces for others to admire and envy!

My small-timer timepiece

Tag Hoi-yer Aquaracer 300M, Quartz movement

Front

photo1-4.jpg

Watch model pose

photo-6.jpg

I was just asking myself yesterday what I'd do if someone starts a watch thread. How to deal with it?

I still haven't a solution.

what's wrong with having one? are you worried that the forum will go off on a different tangent than what you imagine it to be?

perhaps some ground rules would be in order, if you wish to limit the kind of discussions we have in here.

Watches are deeply emotive objects. My observation is that when you have a watch thread, the thread becomes a forum within a forum. The participants are watch nutheads who have no other interest. They are all watches, all the time. I like people who have a deep interest in a particular field, but these watch guys have only the most superficial knowledge about watches -- gained almost entirely via the demand creation efforts of the brands (a lot of which appears in the form of paid editorials by 3rd class journalists). They talk about movement finishing, and brand history and seem to be connoisseurs, but poke them a little bit and they reveal themselves to be brand whores at their core who rely on their watches to elevate their social status.

• Like 1

Oh I found the solution! Those who want to post here need 30 meaningful posts elsewhere before they can do so. Just like in the bazaar.

But this has an asphxiating effect on the thread so I'll only do it when the watch idiot savants start joining.

I think this is a great looking watch. Put a dark brown strap on it and its simplicity makes it quite versatile. They are not as expensive as any of the omegas or rolex you big timers have but I think it does its job fairly well for the 99GBP price tag.

smithsbd1.jpg

I think this is a great looking watch. Put a dark brown strap on it and its simplicity makes it quite versatile. They are not as expensive as any of the omegas or rolex you big timers have but I think it does its job fairly well for the 99GBP price tag.

smithsbd1.jpg

Those look great!

Personally not a big fan of the bauhaus design (though I do like the Max Bill chrono), but I can see the attraction. What's with the date position though? Would have looked better at 3.

Yup a brown (croc/croc-grain?) strap would look best.

Smith used to be the company that supplies the old mini cooper's cluster panel. Im not sure if they managed to catch up with technology and still make the current ones though.

classicspeedomech.jpg

Nevertheless, great looking watch. !