"6"

The watch appreciation thread

i will be in SG that weekend. i can collect for msian dudes.

What are u commissioning with Hughes?

Misfit will collect on my behalf too. I still owe you the bank fees from your bank -- will transfer soon.

Feed Misfit our share of the finger food, etc.

Thanks for remembering Jeremy! Why don't you just pass Misfit the cash (I think it was 20 sing or something around there) to save you the wire fees?

Will definitely fatten Misfit up for his trouble as watch mule ;)

An Imperial has already been unboxed at watchuseek. Gushing praise. Mine still with Misfit. When I get it it will probably have Misfit's greasy fingerprints all over it.

Just finished snapping photos of my Imperial. It's an incredible watch. Like, seriously incredible. Though of course my opinion might not hold very much water since I've never handled stuff like Pateks etc. Very worth the wait. I'll get some macro shots up later.

I had trouble photographing the dial. The crystal is very reflective and my flash kept bouncing off it (natural light pictures tomorrow maybe).

Thanks to misfit for helping me pick it up!

Unfortunately I'll have to get an extra hole punched in the strap (or get another strap) before I can wear it.

Very nice macro pics.

Ben ar Ben! I know you now in Switzerland and all, but you really need to do something about the fonts on the 3qtr plate! It's terrible.

Also, have you considered getting them to do chamfering around the edges of the bridges.

Hire a graphic designer in Singapore to do the fonts!!! They are not expensive and the results will be waaaaaay better. Even first year graphic design student will do.

I also suggest the following wordings.

Beijing Watch Factory Co. Ltd.

Made in China

18 Jewels

B18

Do the "B18" really small somewhere remote on the bridge.

The above is better than the

Made by BWAF China

18 Jewels

B18

Have them arranged by a graphic designer! Don't do it yourself, and don't let them do it!

For the price, I can't argue much.

But i think I would pay more for a better decorated movement.

Otherwise, just give me a solid caseback with an interesting engraving (this might be cheaper).

Beautiful box

URnWsal.jpg

ILXit8d.jpg

MKOsHd1.jpg

Ioqrqmf.jpg

eaKYTIk.jpg

Couldn't agree more about the fonts -- the one thing that has always stood out to me when comparing aesthetics of European to Chinese watches is how uninspiring the fonts of the latter are. To date I don't believe I've seen a single Chinese made watch that sports fonts like those on Swiss made ones (even the expensive Seagull tourbillons).

Something more "dignified" will definitely make a very big difference in the look of the entire watch. I think it's one of those things that yield great returns for only relatively small amounts of effort (of course this isn't a measurable thing, but you get me).

Regardless, this is an amazing watch and I'm very glad to have bought it. Is the movement supposed to have been adopted from one that has a date? I ask because the crown pulls out in two steps -- but the first doesn't do anything, only the second step where it sets the hour/minute hands.

There is no need for any particular dignity to the arrangement of text on the movement. All that is needed is a person familiar with some of the principles. Failing which, someone who observes well and can discern the rules.

There needs to be a hierarchy to the text. This hierarchy can be bestowed by font size, and placement.

Beijing Watch Factory Co. Ltd.

Made in China

18 Jewels

B18

There are three font sizes in the text above, and they give a hierarchy to the text. If you look at the movements of other manufacturers, there is always a variety of font sizes, never just one. Nobody in Switzerland does just one font size on the movement. Nobody.

The other is placement. Since the manufacturer's name is the one with the greatest weight, it can be placed separately from the others. This can be done by giving it a different alignment. Text can be aligned co-axially, or non-coaxially.

The text can also be grouped. The manufacturer's name can be one group all to itself, the "Made in China" and "18 Jewels" can be grouped together, i.e. have close proximity to each other, either co-axially or non-coaxially.

caliber_29_535_LG_drawing.jpg

In the example above, you see the principles in action.

There are at least three separate font sizes for the text.

There are different alignments for the text. Some are arranged in an axial way, some are tangential, some track the edge of the bridge.

The text is grouped. One group gives the details about the manufacturer, that its name is Patek, located in Geneva, which is in Switzerland. Another group of text concerns the identity of the movement; that it is serial number 5509202 of the caliber 29-535. Yet another group gives information about adjustment. Etc. These groups occupy different locations on the movement; they are separated from each other.

IMG_2833_zpsc008c932.jpg

The waiting period for this watch was so long, I have almost come to accept a state of fictional ownership of the watch. The first reaction upon unboxing with Misfit in, of all places, Burgerfactory Subang? Jewel-like. Much better than expectation. Exquisite. Petite. Electric blue. Chameleon dial.

Now that I've worn it for the day, the definite impression is of a dense, jewel-like watch. It feels like a Swiss watch, not a Chinese watch (Ben may be offended by this statement, but most here get what I'm trying to say.) Chinese watches have a certain lack of finesse, a certain showiness coupled with lack of deep sophistication. Not this one.

Another apparent characteristic is that the case isn't forwardly contemporary. 38mm is petite by today's standards, and not only that, the case has a certain economy with material one observes with watches from three decades ago. Which is to say, the case isn't chunky, a big bulk of metal, thick lugs, etc. Sedately well-proportioned, relatively light, quite low in profile. Which is how a watch case should be.

The flame-blued hands are wonderful. Can't imagine better ones.

The hand-engraved cocks (balance and escapement) are tiny! I was expecting larger ones. They are so tiny, the engraving is almost not visible to the naked eye. The movement as a whole is very small-diameter -- this is no pocket watch movement. What I would wish for is better graphics on the movement and a serial number to make it feel even more individual.

Strap is great.

The packaging is imaginative, well engineered and singular. It's watch packaging re-imagined.

As I wrote just now on the lowyat forum, a handwinding watch is like a Tamaguchi, for those of you old enough to have experienced the Tamaguchi craze. You need to feed it every day.