"6"

The watch appreciation thread

IMG_0802.jpg?raw=1

Lunch and coffee in Janda Baik before I drive down to the slums of Damansara to the shop to meet with a website designer about how to make JT rank no. 1 on all relevant search terms. If he appears even slightly clueless, I'll kick him out.

If the website guy thinks he's there to talk about building a website, he's severely mistaken. I already have a website, which ranks relatively highly. The only reason to meet is to make JT rank highest.

He will likely have a conversation he's never had before.

Taschenuhr_LACO_KM-Kriegsmarine_graviert

Apart from Adolf Lange and sons, the other company that supplied the Kriegsmarine (war marine) with observation watches was Laco. You see above the manufacturer's name, and "KM" which is the abbreviation for Kriegsmarine.

These were made for officers, who are like the management of a ship. In those days, officers were often recruited from the ranks of the nobility, i.e. the children of dukes, earls and barons. The nobility owned very large pieces of land, sometimes entire regions, and had castles and various houses. You see something similar today with the British royal family, where all the male members spend significant time in the military. Of course, after the wars, people did away with the whole idea, sometimes by chopping off the heads of entire noble families, and most of these countries became republics.

Man, what a disapppointment. It appears the website design business is quite corrupted and dysfunctional. The proposal he made me made no sense at all. I thought maybe my blood glucose level was too low so my brain wasn't functioning, but no, I just had lunch and coffee and fresh as a cucumber. I understood him right. If I pay him several thousand ringgit, he creates a new site for me that will rank LOWER than my current site. Then, over an indefinite period, if I pay him RM500/month, he will start populating the headers of the pages and other meta tags and such which will slowly bring up the ranking of the site.

How does that make sense? I ejected him from the shop.

I told him, in several different ways since he had trouble understanding what was so deficient about his proposal, why his proposal doesn't solve my problem at all. It is also ludicrous.

But it appears it's how the industry works, and he lacks either the willingness or the ability to generate a proposal on the fly that actually solves my problem.

A handsome watch, has a nice rustic look to the finishing up close. But it looks really good in the shots of it in a normal day to day setting (like the one of it with your lunch). 

Is that a chrono pusher at 10 oclock ? ------------EDIT------- Hmm but there is no chrono sub-dial, it appears to be a seconds sub-dial. 

Ur talking to a website designer to boost your rankings. That's equivalent to me talking to a tailor to make me a hollywood star.

Taking wrist shots, and in fact any shots of the watch is extremely challenging with a glossy dial.

I received this in the mail today. Seller claims its early 90s, which corresponds with what the internet says based on the serial number.

tumblr_pbd0gyMks41qhcqt5o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_pbd0gyMks41qhcqt5o1_1280.jpg

Man. Congrats. A bit of a sellout by going Rolex, but I wouldn't have the strength to resist either.

This is a good time to watch Peter Speake-Marin disassemble a Rolex movement.

13 hours ago, "6" said:

A handsome watch, has a nice rustic look to the finishing up close. But it looks really good in the shots of it in a normal day to day setting (like the one of it with your lunch). 

Is that a chrono pusher at 10 oclock ? ------------EDIT------- Hmm but there is no chrono sub-dial, it appears to be a seconds sub-dial. 

It's supremely handsome. The pusher is to advance the date. One push=one date increment.

It occurred to me that having Speake-Marin walk you through a disassembly is like having Einstein teach at kindergarten.

Aye, I am a slut. I couldnt escape the alure of it. Its the pin up girl of sportswatches. 

Made with saturation divers in mind who go so deep that they need to breathe in a funky blend of oxygen/ nitrogen/ helium to survive. These are the guys who muck about working with oil pipelines deep underwater; a decidedly blue collar endeavour, rather than the more leisurely and recreational diving pursuits commonly associated with Submariners.

At 1220m, the watch has 4 times the resistance of its Submariner cousins. So I obviously need it to help me survive my usual habitat of officesc, cafes, airports, and occasional snorkling jaunts while on vacation. 

5 hours ago, kotmj said:

It's supremely handsome. The pusher is to advance the date. One push=one date increment.

That is so cool. 

I hope you are not wearing the sea dweller to sleep. Would be unbecoming.

I am still resisting a Rolex. There has been several times that I typed Wing Wah into Google Maps, wondering if I should drive there today to pick one up. I started this post wanting to list down the various insights I have gotten now that I own three watches, and how these insights fed into my choice of potential Rolex buys. There are two models I am considering. I feel that the models themselves are not as interesting as the insights that led me to narrow it down to these two. But it would be a long, boring essay, and I really have a lot to do.

22 hours ago, NoName said:

Ur talking to a website designer to boost your rankings. That's equivalent to me talking to a tailor to make me a hollywood star.

The pitch by the designer was deficient. It does not have a strong (or any) commercial case. Worse part is the designer doesnt seem to recognise this. 

Its not impossible to do, but expectation management and transparency is key.

9 hours ago, "6" said:

The pitch by the designer was deficient. It does not have a strong (or any) commercial case. Worse part is the designer doesnt seem to recognise this. 

Its not impossible to do, but expectation management and transparency is key.

You need a SEO guy. Not a Web Designer.

In this sense the Web Designer is a tailor and the clothes are analogous to a new website. If you are already in a handsome suit but need to be more well-known then you already are, you need a marketing person or SEO guy.

A customer was in the shop just now. His phone rang. "Yah, let's go for it. The vintage Daytona. Daytona, Daytona."

I wonder which vintage Daytona.

Saw an exotic dial example on Ellen's wrist today as I was watching a show. Commonly referred to as the "Paul Newman Daytona"

tumblr_pbkkgdfEBu1qhcqt5o1_1280.jpg