"6"

The watch appreciation thread

Did a photoshoot today. I thought I'd wear a Squale, but then I put on the Gerlach and found it more comfortable and more legible. So I did the shoot wearing a G.Gerlach.

DSC00273.jpg?raw=1

The decorated Seagull movement in my Gerlach. Enough to strike feelings of deep inadequacy in the hearts of Patek and Lange.

Shortly after I posted the above, a customer practically just walked into the shop with no prior appointment. On his wrist, an AP RO Offshore diver. He ordered a suit in Carlo Barbera Assoluto Super 150's.

No one seems to be impressed with RM13/kilo musang king. When I visit you in Bentong someday we are definitely getting some of that. 

Today, I bought a Rolex. But, it's not a model you'd expect me to buy. Neither did I expect to buy this model. I bought it because I'd be retarded not to.

IMG_0819.jpg?raw=1

Ref. 6480. 34mm. Hand winding. With an Oyster case i.e. screw in back and screw down crown. Dates from the 1950's.

IMG_0815.jpg?raw=1

Crumbly lume that no longer functions as lume, case polished 5X, and had five prior owners four of whom are dead. "6" are you happy for me?

• Like 1

Market price seems to be RM7k. I paid RM2500. The seller said he bought it decades ago from a friend who needed money. He paid about RM1k for it. He's selling it because he finds himself no longer wearing it because of how conspicuously small it is in an era of 42mm watches.

Jajaja. A very handsome gateway watch indeed. I think the 34mm suits you well, you could even do a 32mm I reckon. This is probably closer to the watch which summited Everest on the wrists of Tenzing/Hillary compared to the “explorer” tagged models. 

Perhaps if you ever fancy a sports model,  you can look into Rolex bubblebacks. Or a Tudor mini sub , both are within this size range. 

But I think for someone at the pinnacle of their craft such as yourself - a Gold Rolex, or a Rolex Pre-Daytona chrono with a Valjoux 72 movement. Speaks of a man who only needs to answer to himself. 

• Like 1

IMG_20180718_114724.jpg?raw=1

In a Thai restaurant having something to eat. Today, I really have to slog. Measuring close to 30 people --- staff of a pharmaceutical company. Upside is, well, you know what the upside is. (Another Rolex)

IMG_20180718_131124.jpg?raw=1

They put me up in a corner office. I've not been in an office in ages. Waiting for two of them on delayed flights. Measured the rest already. Can't wait to be done here so I can go buy a strap for my 6480.

IMG_20180718_181821.jpg?raw=1

A temporary strap before I find a good one. The strap has not been attached yet (even if it appears that way). This is because the shop assistant looked like an idiot. He asked me four times if I'd pass him my watch. I don't see how that would be helpful. He has an IQ of maybe 80. I'm twice as smart as he is, and can see the half dozen mistakes he will make before he makes them.

"Don't you want me to attach the strap for you?" he asked. I said, please hand me a spring bar tool, I'll do it myself. He rummaged around for one, but it was obvious to me he has no clue what that is. I found a picture of one on Google. He says he doesn't have that tool.

So, I'll attach the strap tonight at home with my luxury Bergeon spring bar tool. How can a watch shop not have one? They dig at the spring bar with screwdrivers, making lots of scratches.

R0330722-Edit.jpg?raw=1

Some no name brand. Only RM121.

My RM2.5k Rolex. With one of the earliest designs of the iconic Oyster case, made when Hans Wilsdorf was still alive. Eventually, in the 90's, Rolex abandons this beautiful, sinuous case in favour of the "super case" in an effort to keep up with challengers in the form of the AP Royal Oak, the redesigned IWC Ingenieur and others.

However, I recommend a different tool if you wear watches with solid end links. But I can't make the recommendation now because there is one locally for sale that I need to buy first before I tell you guys.

A great looking watch, at a ridiculously insane price.