"6"

The watch appreciation thread

2 hours ago, kotmj said:

However, I recommend a different tool if you wear watches with solid end links. But I can't make the recommendation now because there is one locally for sale that I need to buy first before I tell you guys.

I have the tool you are referencing, I believe.

Like a pair of (very) expensive tweezers. 

IMG_0843.jpg?raw=1

I'm thinking, instead of buying a (contemporary) Rolex, the right thing to do is to use that money to fund projects that make JT a bit more like Rolex. In my mind, Rolex = Greatness. 

The choice is between a contemporary Rolex on the wrist, or a company that is a bit more Rolex-like in greatness.

But, when I come to think of it, JT has had, for many years now, the money for most reasonable projects that increase both objective and subjective greatness. What was always lacking is suitable project management. Because, ultimately, I'm the project manager. And I'm too busy in operations.

6 hours ago, kotmj said:

IMG_20180719_134914.jpg?raw=1

RM20/kg now

Coz you wore a Rolex. Jajaja

IMG_20180721_002322.jpg?raw=1

The Bergeon 7825. The proper tool to mount and unmount watch bracelets. Surprisingly expensive, but it is made to the level of, say, surgical equipment.

• Like 1

I bought it used from a guy who wears a Tudor Black Bay two tone. He let me try his Tudor. It was simply too large for my wrist.

On 7/19/2018 at 9:56 PM, kotmj said:

IMG_20180719_134914.jpg?raw=1

RM20/kg now

You must have gotten a 18mm strap. Should've gone slightly wider instead. My 20mm Nato fits my ref 6694 nicely.

Kotmj - "Is it this big when flaccid?"

Today, I dropped by Wing Wah to check out two Rolex models. I just wanted to see how they compare, how they look like. Things went terribly wrong while I was there because somehow, I walked out with one.

As you can imagine, I considered many, many models. Some of those I seriously considered buying:

zRolex-Yachtmaster-16622---116799w.jpg

I thought this is the more urbane version of a sub, with a unique icy metal look. It is also a little unpopular, so can be had at a lower price than an equivalent sub, yet, both the bezel insert and the dial is solid platinum.

I did not get this because I decided, for now, 40mm is not what I want.

Which brings us to the 36mm. I realised, wearing my ref. 6840 which is a 34mm diameter and 10.5mm height, that I no longer wear my bigger watches. For me, it appears, wearability is everything. Wearability means a low weight, coupled with a shape that doesn't snag on things, and with a modest diameter and height. Of the 36mm's, I wanted the highest density of visual elements and sparkliness. This means no black dials. A black dial is a void. I wanted a dial that said something. A dial that is a design element, not a black void. I also found the 3,6,9 numerals on the Explorer very comforting. Therefore, the 116000, also dubbed the blue Explorer.

20140307_174218.jpg?raw=1

I really, really wanted to buy this. In fact, I may, someday. But not for now. I wanted more charisma. More sparkliness. I also wanted the original Oyster case, with its thin lugs and which is taut and slender. This case no longer exists in current production. Rolex has, over the years, made it beefier, packed more weight onto it. I wanted the Oyster case of Hans Wilsdorf.

Next to an Explorer

plsONAj.jpg?raw=1

"6" suggested a gold Rolex, or something. I wanted to reply, jajaja, so ahpek and uncle. But I didn't, because I asked myself what was it about a gold, or two tone Rolex that makes it ahpek? Upon closer inspection, I find these labels to be just a matter of current perception. In other words, ephemeral and insubstantial.

So I looked at two tone Datejusts with fresh eyes. I perceive them for their physical attributes, divorced from connotations to a particular demographic.

And what a world. Rolex made millions of 36mm Datejusts, most with the original lean, taut, slender Oyster case of Hans Wilsdorf.

9 hours ago, kotmj said:

As you can imagine, I considered many, many models. Some of those I seriously considered buying:

zRolex-Yachtmaster-16622---116799w.jpg

I thought this is the more urbane version of a sub, with a unique icy metal look. It is also a little unpopular, so can be had at a lower price than an equivalent sub, yet, both the bezel insert and the dial is solid platinum.

I did not get this because I decided, for now, 40mm is not what I want.

There is always the 36mm YM

In fact, it's the rotating bezel which caused Rolex to do a 40mm for the sub. The dial diameter on the sub is identical to the explorer 36mm is identical to the oyster perpetual 36mm and probably also dj36mm.

Once the case is 35mm, with the rotating bezel included, the dial becomes a peephole.