"6"

The watch appreciation thread

DSC00155.jpg?raw=1

Wearing my relative's watch. SKX013, 38mm. The Nato strap adds too much height and bulk to the watch.

DSC00151.jpg?raw=1

I had to remove the Nato to get a better feel for how the watch wears on my wrist with a more minimalistic strap.

DSC00367.jpg?raw=1

Blimey, a customer came in wearing an OP Date from the 1970's. I like this form factor very much. Very, very much.

In feel, this is the opposite of contemporary watches. Where contemporary watches try to be chunky, substantial, massive and solid---brutalist---this watch tries to use as little steel as necessary. It is light, small and thin. I can definitely see something like this in my future, perhaps a previous generation Air-King at 34mm, just like this watch.

DSC00376.jpg?raw=1

I felt a little prosperous after CNY, so browsed the Hirsch straps and bought this. It's made of natural latex, with a rubberised canvas glued to the top to give it texture. This is a good way to wear something that looks like a canvas strap without the soiling and stains that come with a real canvas strap.

DSC00378.jpg?raw=1

If you swipe to the second picture, you'll see the two tone Datejust Antonio wears. It's the same vintage of DJ as mine.

Mark Cho , international man of menswear shares his “to buy” list (which includes pieces from the Armoury that he presumably already owns). 

Among them is a two tone Rolex.

https://gearpatrol.com/2019/03/19/mark-cho-in-my-cart/

“I have recently been very interested in two-tone watches and stumbled on this particular reference. It looks strange on the website, but I was curious enough to check it out in real life. It is outstanding and absolutely on my shortlist. Compared with the photograph online, the Everose parts are subtler and less pink, and the grey dial is much richer in color. I highly suggest any watch nut check it out.”

DSC03014.jpg?raw=1

The recently introduced retro-inspired Tudor BB 58 which debuts the new compact inhouse movement. It fits my wrist! It belongs to a customer. In person, it looks very vintagey and very nice. There is not much space at all between the box crystal and the dial; it looks as if the hands were accomodated in the curve of the crystal. This height compression gives the watch the authentic vintage feel. The graphics of the dial is very nice to look at.

That was yesterday.

Today, a customer walked in wearing an AP RO with the blue tapisserie dial. After taking his order (3-piece pure cashmere suit), I asked him if that's a Royal Oak. He then became very animated and told me how he missed out on the first opportunity to acquire one. The circumstances: After being on the waiting list for a long time, one fine day the dealer called him to inform that an RO is available for him to buy. He said he'll come get it tomorrow. The dealer didn't sound that impressed. Later that day, the dealer told him he sold it to someone else. Disappointed, he opted to remain on the waiting list.

ONE AND A HALF YEARS later, the dealer called. An RO is available for him to buy. He dropped everything and drove straight to the dealer.

DSC00481.jpg?raw=1

Because I'm famous, and a big shot, I got invited today to an even t at the JLC boutique in Pavilion. Actually, that's not true. The guy above, who is wearing a kerbau suit from six years ago, invited me to tag along to the event. He's digging into a duck confit, as I was.

DSC00482.jpg?raw=1

So, that's his watch. He got the sales guy to bring out the most expensive watch in the boutique. It costs RM2mil. And just like that, the sales guy brought it out. He was like hypnotised into doing it.

DSC00496.jpg?raw=1

Since I handle RM2mil watches all the time, it was no big deal. Frankly, the sauteed organic chicken with mushroom which they served was more interesting.

DSC00500.jpg?raw=1

So here you have a kerbau suit jacket in the same picture as a RM2mil Jaeger Le-Coultre. I was on the seventh champagne of the evening.

^ Champagne at the JLC boutique, manhandling a 2 million dollar watch: Just a regular weekday for a Master Tailor. 

——————————————

Look at the unfused collar and cuffs on that striped shirt. Combined with the handrolled lightly lined Vanda tie. Sprez. 

DSC00564.jpg?raw=1

I sent this Rolex, which I bought for RM2500, for a movement service in June last year. Two days ago, the repairman texted me saying it is ready for collection. I just collected it. Here it is on a custom cowhide strap I had made by Zulu Leather somewhere here in KL. The strap is RM150. The movement service is RM450.

IMG_20190504_140617.jpg?raw=1

The second customer of the day was wearing a Sinn 556i on the H-bracelet. I like it very, very much. Very good value, too, at about RM5k.

In fact, I find myself much preferring this to say, the Tudor BB36. 

received_2100077936776334.jpeg?raw=1

I am commissioning a second strap with Zulu Leather, and after describing to him what I want, he sent me the above sketch of A, B, and C versions of what he thinks I want.

I found the sketches offensively bad. Jesus. It's an unmitigated disaster. Notice how he mixed up his units. Some of the dimensions are meant to be in mm (19, 16, 5), yet others he meant to be in cm (4).

So I sent him a real technical sketch. By me.

IMG_20190504_221750.jpg?raw=1

13 hours ago, kotmj said:

received_2100077936776334.jpeg?raw=1

I am commissioning a second strap with Zulu Leather, and after describing to him what I want, he sent me the above sketch of A, B, and C versions of what he thinks I want.

I found the sketches offensively bad. Jesus. It's an unmitigated disaster. Notice how he mixed up his units. Some of the dimensions are meant to be in mm (19, 16, 5), yet others he meant to be in cm (4).

So I sent him a real technical sketch. By me.

IMG_20190504_221750.jpg?raw=1

IMHO, MF is a much better local strapmaker.

https://instagram.com/mohdfadhilstrap?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=1r5bajj6n2b1c

On 5/4/2019 at 3:15 PM, kotmj said:

IMG_20190504_130748.jpg?raw=1

My Rolex Oyster at 34mm next to a customer's white gold Calatrava at 32mm.

IMG_20190504_120344.jpg?raw=1

The patek suits you...