"6"

The watch appreciation thread

DSC00572.jpg?raw=1

My Datejust finally gets some wear. I don't even know why I would bother with other watches---this is the perfect watch! It feels so native on my wrist.

I'm wearing it on a navy Nato which I tie with an alternative method I found on youtube which eliminates the bulk you normally see with nato.

DSC00584.jpg?raw=1

Brand new strap by Zulu Leather. So, so happy. It is a very good strap.

This is different from the previous strap Zulu made for me in that it tapers to a 16mm buckle as opposed to a 18mm buckle. Because a small watch needs a more slender strap. The stitches are now also tone-on-tone with the leather.

• Like 1

Just watched "Last Breath" on Netflix. It's a documentary about a saturation diver who, while on a job, had his umbilical severed. You get to see the world of saturation diving. I saw a G-shock and an Omega Seamaster Professional being worn by the crew.

DSC00696.jpg?raw=1

I wanted to find out why so many people like the Seiko divers so much. To me, they are gratuitiously large and thick. The only way to find out was to buy one. I considered the SKX007 and SKX013, but they are pretty low on Seiko's totem pole of quality, being only higher than the Seiko 5 lineup. I was looking more at Presage level quality.

So I bought this, the SBDC063. At a mind-bending 43mm diameter without crown and a 50mm lug-to-lug, it is in every way a behemoth. Yet, I find it curiously wearable. It is certainly large, but it is quite wearable on my wrist. I find myself liking this very much. It transmits the time to you at a quick glance through that high contrast, purpose-driven dial. The lume really has to be experienced to be believed. It is the brightest and longest-lasting I have seen. I find this sort of lume to be a better solution than that used by anyone else, including the tritium tubes on Ball watches which glow only very feebly.

If you wear a Rolex anything, this Seiko will not impress you with its finish. Seiko fans rave about the quality of the Presage-level Seikos, but they really do not compare to Rolex in any way. However, the finishing is good enough to not be offensive, unless you look between the lugs, where it is quite agricultural. The Diashield coating repels fine scratches, keeping the polished surfaces shiny for longer. Unlike the Grand Seikos which have hand-polished surfaces with sharp edges between surfaces, this Seiko has soft transitions between surfaces.

Unlike the Caliber 3135 from Rolex with the instantaneous date advance at midnight, this cal. 6R15 takes about an hour for the date changeover. This is its biggest weakness. Operating the movement via the crown is a much better experience than with the ETAs (2824, etc). It is smoother to wind and less highly geared than the ETA. I find it comparable to Rolex.

I bought this second hand from a dealer for RM2000. It comes on a polyurethane strap with an egregiously long strap tail.

22-mm-Bonetto-Cinturini-300D-White-Rubbe

I have a more suitable strap coming my way, the Bonetto Cinturini 300D in white. The original Seiko rubber strap is more suited to diving than everyday wear.

DSC00700.jpg?raw=1

On its original Seiko rubber strap. This strap is a wonderful design. I cut off about an inch of tail length last night so that the tail doesn't jut out so awkwardly.

This strap was introduced last year and features a soft, supple rubber scented with a new car smell. The hardware is steel with very upscale finishing---better finishing than on the case of the watch!

So I bought the bracelet which was designed for the watch. It's brand new from a compulsive Seiko buyer. He would travel to Japan to buy Seikos, keeps them, then eventually sells them. Gnomon in Singapore sells the bracelet for close to RM1k. I bought mine for RM500.

Rolex definitely needn't fear this tier of Seikos. The bracelet links are relatively well made, but the clasp is an aesthetic disaster. The primary reason is the sheer variety of bracelets produced by Seiko, yet they all use the same milled clasp. The design grammar of the clasp doesn't fit with that of the links. But also, Seiko had to really economise on the clasp. The finishing is a bit Russian. I think if you tried to make a truly wonderful bracelet, you'll find it costs more than the watch head. Ask AP.

Though many Seiko models use the same milled clasp, (some even share a common bracelet), and despite the utilitarian finishing and execution, it is MORE comfortable than the one on my Ball. In fact, the reason I sold my Ball was just how uncomfortable it is on the wrist, and how it doesn't visually integrate itself with my wrist despite being only 40mm in diameter. The finishing on the Ball bracelet is much superior though.

23 hours ago, kotmj said:

It's been 24 hours since I demagnetised and calibrated my Seiko diver. I see it is off by less than a second.

How does one demagnetise a watch? Going the totally opposite way, I had a quartz watch which, after being exposed to a 1.5 tesla MRI only briefly, died slowly over the course of a week. 

By using a watch demagnetiser. A magnetised hairspring is the main reason for watches going fast.

My Rolex has the cal. 3135 which has the supposedly antimagnetic Parachrom hairspring. Yet, all it needs is to come a little too close to the speaker of my phone to go from +/-1s a day to +6s a day.

Mine is from an obscure Swiss company called Etic. Costed me RM250. There are copies of this demagnetiser from China for very little money.

DSC00738.jpg?raw=1

Bonetto Cinturini natural latex strap arrived. It's not for the tiny wristed like me. Just barely small enough to fit me with a short lug-to-lug width watch. It is, however, a very comfortable and good looking strap.

DSC00766.jpg?raw=1

I was back in Kuantan yesterday to bring the dogs to the beach, to see my parents, and to buy this watch. So happy with my purchase.

That looks like a fake Rolex. Anyway, my pepsi mini turtle is more exclusive, being made in far fewer numbers than rlx pepsi gmts.

The GMT has a Mk 1 bezel. It has a purple tinge instead of blue. 

It's not a competition - there's nothing exclusive about a Rolex. 😏I like that we can order the Seiko from Lelong. Very convenient. 

Are 15 minutes intervals a significant thing during dives? 

The new batman is nice as well. 

Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 1.40.22 pm.png