"6"

The watch appreciation thread

2 hours ago, kotmj said:

1565711271_hero.jpg

I just bought the watch above, the Grand Seiko SBGV245. Hodinkee has an article about it: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-grand-seiko-sport-collection-sbgv245-with-quartz-caliber-9f82

It is one of the very few GS with a screw down crown. I find watches without a screw down crown a bit unconvincing. It looks to me like the GS version of the Patek Aquanaut, with its prominent brushed bezel and sports-oriented styling. It's one of the very few GS with lume, yet gives up nothing in terms of the facetting or finish of the hands and hour markers. The date aperture appears rather large to me, something I really appreciate. I wish it came on a bracelet.

It is making its way to me from japan. I wonder what the duty will be like.

Damn. That dial colour is fantastic.

On 11/6/2019 at 5:19 PM, kotmj said:

1565711271_hero.jpg

I just bought the watch above, the Grand Seiko SBGV245. Hodinkee has an article about it: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-grand-seiko-sport-collection-sbgv245-with-quartz-caliber-9f82

It is one of the very few GS with a screw down crown. I find watches without a screw down crown a bit unconvincing. It looks to me like the GS version of the Patek Aquanaut, with its prominent brushed bezel and sports-oriented styling. It's one of the very few GS with lume, yet gives up nothing in terms of the facetting or finish of the hands and hour markers. The date aperture appears rather large to me, something I really appreciate. I wish it came on a bracelet.

It is making its way to me from japan. I wonder what the duty will be like.

Finally.

IMG_20191111_114830.jpg?raw=1

Trying on a customer's brand new BB58. It's the perfect watch. Not too big, not too small, not too flashy, not too muted. The proportions are well-judged. The finishing is superb. The bracelet is tough to beat. 

Unlike most modern Rolexes, this one is quite light. 

DSC00975.JPG?raw=1

I had to go to LCCT yesterday to pay customs duty for this watch. They charged me 5% of the invoice value. When I first took this out of the box, I thought, huh, that's it? It looked rather unluxurious. I wasn't wow'd. The strap also fitted rather oddly and uncomfortably. I thought, well, I can always sell it if I don't like it.

Over a lunch of salmon-don at Mitsui Outlet Park, I warmed to the watch. I noticed it looked very distinctive. It's angular surfaces and industrial-looking finish calls to mind the great luxury sports watches. I noticed it has a strong personality. The zaratsu polish isn't as special as it's played up to be---I think most Swiss watch cases in this price category are polished to the same degree.

It was on the long drive home through peak traffic that I came to realise what an incredible watch this is. That night, after dinner and some Netflix, I just couldn't believe what a piece of design work this represents. It's a design masterpiece. I got so excited it took me a while to fall asleep.

I swapped out the GS deployant clasp for a generic China clasp (Titoni-branded), and suddenly the strap fitted properly. The GS clasp is truly a woeful design.

Just now at lunch, I showed this to my employees. Employee #1 said it looks "see mun", which is Cantonese for dressy. Employee #2 said it's a casual watch, a great everyday watch, he said. The intern didn't express anything. It occured to me if I showed them a Seiko 5, or a Citizen, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

My opinion of the Daytona has been that it's an unremarkable design that is currently experiencing a tulip craze around it. When first introduced, it was a poor seller. In fact, it was a poor seller for most of its history. On the wrist, in person, it is exquisite. It's very classy. I'm now in admiration of what Rolex has achieved. This experience also tells me that, in the past, and maybe even today, watches were not designed on computer screens. Maybe they actually developed watches by making prototypes and evaluating them on their wrists. Today, as much developement as possibe is done virtually, since prototypes are expensive to make.

IMG_20191125_175637.jpg?raw=1

Driven by one of the most luxuriously engineered quartz movements ever, the Grand Seiko SBGV245 is guaranteed to deviate no more than 10 seconds per year over atomic time. The quartz crystal was grown in-house by Seiko, and aged three months to reach a stable vibration frequency. The circuit of each movement was tuned to the individual quartz crystal within it. The quick set date switches instantaneously at a few minutes past midnight. The facets on the case were polished by hand against a rotating tin plate, giving an unparalleled luster. Both sporty and elegant, and with a 200 meter water resistance, the SBGV245 will accompany you in everything you do. 

So much so until you can’t even see the wrist in relation to the timepiece.

Its almost the size of your fist! 

Advanced issue found

On 1/24/2020 at 9:16 PM, kotmj said:

Ultimate wrist presence

More like wrist absence.  I bet the weight really helps build momentum when one swings a punch.