Sign in to follow this  
kotmj

Wetshaving

I find Traditional Shaving cheaper than westcoast marginally. And they have a starter pack which helps. Frankly I've not pulled trigger as yet, but i do plan to get the starter pack.

Sure there's no risk of the acid reacting with the chrome? I'll try dat. Been scrubbing it with a terrycloth all this while.

On another note, do you find day-1 Feathers to be harsh?

I think chrome is largely inert to the weak acid of vinegar.

I don't know about harsh, but my heart beats faster with new Feathers. Make sure fingers are steady.

Wanted to get the Feather stainless steel razor, but it's sold out everywhere on the English web! Yes, it's expensive but it's also gorgeous. Looks like I might end up with an Edwin Jagger then. I like the ones with the bulbous handles actually. I'll reserve the cylindrical handled one for Feather, maybe!

Pulled the trigger on the Jagger DE86 with faux ivory handle, Cella sabone, Col Conk chrome stand, "standard' sampler pack. Can't wait to try the new rig out.

Went flea-marketing last Sunday, and found lots of 'treasure'. Got me a vintage razor like the one shown below for RM30. Research revealed that it was manufactured around the 1920s - 30s.

1921-28 Shawmut.JPG

Those are gorgeous carbman :o

@terrorsquad: note that the photo above depicts what my olde razor looked like when it was mint. It isn't mint. It looks old. I'll post a pic later later of the real mc coy.

I want to know how it performs!

It sure is no beginner razor. It's very agressive compared to the EJ. And that's with a Gillette blade. Reviews have recommended the Personnas to go with it; I'll probably try that next. Feather is a no-no for these (at least not for me, not now) - I could end up carving my face.

I'm using the Derby Extra blades now.

I'm probably doing it wrong, but I find that I have to apply quite a bit of pressure on the razor to get a clean pass. Everything I've read on the forums and elsewhere says that no pressure should be applied when passing the razor over the skin.

I've ended up with some small cuts from passing the razor over the tiny raised skin bumps (what are they called?) that you get around the hair follicles.

I'm using Truefitt and Hill cream for now since I don't want to change too many variables right now.

Any advice for a cleaner shave?

Been wet shaving for about 6 months now.

My gear

395790_10150570993686424_542761423_11016193_2081082327_n.jpg

391856_10150570993361424_542761423_11016188_1954484453_n.jpg

405778_10150570994001424_542761423_11016195_1256251496_n.jpg

van der hagen premium shave set- includes Stand,Mug, and Soap

Murker HD 34c

I would say a very good starter Razor, very easy to use great grip and the groves on the hilt towards the top helps when changing positions from a WTG to ATG.

When i transferred over from cartridge shaver's to a safety razor was daunting having a razor blade against your neck. But the murker made it such i dint even notice it was there, watched a few vid's prior no tugging no pulling just let the weight of the razor do its work. Great stuff only ever nicked my self when im in a hurry and disregarded the rules.

rotating between blades now from Platinum's, Derby's and feathers. * bought a tester pack*

Feathers beat the crap out of everything they work so well i dont want to try the other 3 testers i have.

Joo, it takes me about 10 minutes to get a really good shave. You have to keep the right blade angle -- if in doubt, cut the tree tops instead of trying to go for the trunkroots. On successive passes, get closer to the trunkroot. You should also start with-the-grain, then across-the-grain and for some areas you can go against-the-grain.

Getting much better results with the Personna blade now. It seems like the Derby blades are rather blunt? With the Personna blade I can do multiple passes without adding pressure on the razor.

How long does a good shave last for you gents?

And, if you were to pay someone to do a wet-shave for you, what would you expect, and how much would you pay?

How long does a good shave last for you gents? And, if you were to pay someone to do a wet-shave for you, what would you expect, and how much would you pay?

10-15 minutes from start to finish, including lathering time.

Wetshave done outside is risky business......our barbers never sterilize their kit AFAIK, and some even reuse their disposable blades. But in theory, I'd say RM10-15 would be a fair price.

The local barbers but they do charge a low price. For a haircut and a shave RM15 just shave is abt RM10. Personally since i started prepping (i still havent got a DE yet mind you) the shaves are much better than the barbers. They do not use hot water, your stubble are not soft for the shave.

When i was in Vegas, there was shaving shop called The Art of Shaving, the quoted USD 50. Really wanted to try it just for the experience but was pressed for time.