Sign in to follow this  
kotmj

Wetshaving

Yeah i was discovering the different razors. I've covered the full spectrum in terms of aggressiveness and i've found my perfect razor or 2. Well some you guys like different kind of blue or grey for your suits and i dont see the point of having anything more in one shade. YMMV

What's the difference between the two?

Edit: did you all buy it online and have it shipped? Trying to figure out the best way to do this given I'm completely new.

Yea. Mainly online. I think there is a Singapore webshop selling Polsilver blades. I bought like 100 of Feathers and PolSilvers at one go, so it lasts a while.

• Like 1

Connought was the cheapest shipping and great selection. I don't know how with the exchange rate but I suspect be cheaper than west coast

My friend spotted Arko Shaving Soap (in the round container) in Cold Storage. Glad that it's easily available now.

I miss shaving...I started growing a bread to distract others from my thinning top hah...

The SMN soap is probably the soap I'll use for life. I've given away all my other soaps/creams since acquiring it, even Cella loses. The only exception is a tube of Proraso cream (squeezed into a soft muji tube) for travelling.

I might diversify into Aqua di Parma cream which comes in a jar - I think I saw in Pavillion once.

Question for the forum: I travel using handcarry luggage about 90% of the time, and international/domestic restrictions mean I can't carry a traditional razor with me. So far I use the plastic disposable 1 or 2 blade razors from bic whilst on the road.

But looking for a nicer looking alternative without going into the ridiculous 5-8 blade stuff. Thoughts/ leads?

Coles/ Woolworths?

The specialty shave shops around would carry them at much cheaper prices compared to the supermarket DE. Go figure.

Yeah, either or. Passed by a shaving shop yesterday but didn't go in because Misfit thinks it even more expensive. But, he's a recent immigrant and doesn't know anything, etc.

He's the tai kor in Perth, he's in the know.

I wondered into a shave shop in Picadilly arcade once, stocked to the brim with inventory. But this is before I started wetshaving so have no idea how prices stack up. Hopefully much cheaper than what the clueless Buyers at Coles/ Woolies have priced them at.

At $15 I always wonder who keeps buying them, for Coles/ Woolies to continue stocking it. Its likely the section is stocked by a Gilette rep. Still, my guess is the return on space must be abysmal.

My razor has in it a pretty dull blade, I discovered. So buying a fresh one was on my mind. I've seen the same pack of 10 Wilkinson blades sold at several different places at pretty similar prices. I do not think several different supermarket and pharmacy chains would independently decide pack of 10 Wilkinson blades at about AUD 14-15 to be a brilliant idea to serve the needs of DE shavers, so it is probably a consignment stock from Gillette.

There also the shave shop an Australian, they stock the DEs besides the electric, i thought its only marginally expensive to buying in UK

IMG_3275.jpg?raw=1

We did of course go to this shop which many of you have also been to, but Misfit thinks the prices here to be even higher than Coles, so we did not go in. He's probably mistaken. As I said, recent immigrant.

So I recently started wetshaving. Bought the 'standard' beginner's kit:

- Muhle R89

- Sample pack of blades

- Omega 10065 (which is a standard run-of-the-mill boar)

- Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol cream soap

- Alum stone

Been having fun so far trying to figure out what's best for me; am on the Gilette silver blue now. Had to make some lifestyle changes however, shifting my shaving to the night before instead of in the morning.

So I dropped my Muhler some time back and it broke. I've been using the vintage 60++ year-old razor for the past few months. No infections so far from a dead (probably) man's  razor.

But I'd like to keep this antique in good condition. I wanted to get a Merkur from Amazon but most don't ship to Malaysia and if they do it costs quite a sum.

So where do you all get your DE razors from? Is there a good local place or do most of you guys get them from online stores?

Some thoughts on Acqua di Parma shaving soft soap/cream (Crema Soffice Da Pennello) - having finished a jar recently.

I purchased my jar last year around August time, and after using it as my sole shave soap, it lasted me until the end of June this year (so, about 10 months). I shave on average every 2.5 days (taking into account travel periods, since I don't travel with the jar). Overall I am pleased with how long the 125g jar lasted. Price was around £40 or £45 I think.

The scent I was very pleasant and luxurious. Its a much milder version of their famous Acqua di Parma EDT. I wouldn't have minded a stronger scent as I love Acqua di Parma EDT. 

The lather it produces is top notch and protective, but needs to be thick. So don't skimp on the lathering phase, and load up your brush with a good amount. Since its super easy to lather up, so this shouldn't be a problem. 

In terms of comparison with the other 2 Italian soaps/creams I love which is Santa Maria Novella and Cella (tub); I would place this ever so slightly above Cella in terms of performance of the lather, but just slightly. The Santa Maria Novella shaving soap is still holds its place as my top performer easily, and beats both ADP and Cella in my book. Obviously YMMV since everyone's skin/ frag preference is different. 

One of these days I really need to get a hold of the Cella brick to try out.