Sign in to follow this  
kotmj

Wetshaving

Is there a men's spa around? Not sure if I can afford it as a regular treat, but I'd like to try it out.

I was once witness to an Indian barber shaving a customer. It was horrifying. Very fast, very firm, relatively crude. This was with a straight edge razor.

Is there a men's spa around? Not sure if I can afford it as a regular treat, but I'd like to try it out. I was once witness to an Indian barber shaving a customer. It was horrifying. Very fast, very firm, relatively crude. This was with a straight edge razor.

I assure you that your face will definitely be butchered by those indian barbers. Mine did... several times.

Dudes, seriously for the price we pay we really can't complain. 15 buck its a pittance compared to the USD 50 they're charging overseas. They do the shave all right but i guess in moisturizing n treatment they lack.

I've been toying with the idea of opening up a proper barbershop i.e. Truefitt & Hill outlet, it'll be like a proper gents private club kind of thing. I personally think the market is ready but the problem is the manpower availability. We've got the indian barbers which nobody in their right mind would pay 100 buck for the hair cut and shave and the high end hairstylist who cant do a shave.

Was cleaning my gear today, when i took the soap out of my mug i was greatly surprised by how little was used in the 6 months i was wet shaving. I shave about once every 2 days and used about maybe 1-1.5CM of soap, superb stuff that is.

Dudes, seriously for the price we pay we really can't complain. 15 buck its a pittance compared to the USD 50 they're charging overseas. They do the shave all right but i guess in moisturizing n treatment they lack.

I've been toying with the idea of opening up a proper barbershop i.e. Truefitt & Hill outlet, it'll be like a proper gents private club kind of thing. I personally think the market is ready but the problem is the manpower availability. We've got the indian barbers which nobody in their right mind would pay 100 buck for the hair cut and shave and the high end hairstylist who cant do a shave.

I haven't given this much thought, but I asked myself where the solution space would be and I see it in a franchise. That way, you have a business model that has been proven to work elsewhere.

I find I have to stretch the area I am shaving taut in order to get anything resembling a close shave. I also have to do many passes, but I put this down to inexperience more than anything else. This is with the EJ, Personna blade and Truefitt cream (whipped into a thick lather). Any thoughts?

• Like 1

I find I have to stretch the area I am shaving taut in order to get anything resembling a close shave. I also have to do many passes, but I put this down to inexperience more than anything else. This is with the EJ, Personna blade and Truefitt cream (whipped into a thick lather). Any thoughts?

Try the EJs with a Feather blade.

Joonian: use hi-res camera lah....I can barely make out the tube in the background (in front of the tissue box).

I am quite an amateur in wet shaving. Still sticking to Gilette blade. Partly because I invested in a Gilette compatible razor from Taylor's of Old Bond Street. This is perhaps what people called commitment bias haha.

I am quite an amateur in wet shaving. Still sticking to Gilette blade. Partly because I invested in a Gilette compatible razor from Taylor's of Old Bond Street. This is perhaps what people called commitment bias haha.

Once you switch, you'll never go back. Even my dad's a convert now.

Question for carbman -- How do you use the italian soap? Do you scoop out a bit and then mix in a bowl? I tried this, but the soap seemed too solid. I couldn't get a good lather going.

Question for carbman -- How do you use the italian soap? Do you scoop out a bit and then mix in a bowl? I tried this, but the soap seemed too solid. I couldn't get a good lather going.

I will be interested to find out too. I am still using shaving cream like a noob. Haha

No..... The soap is some really solid stuff. What I do with it (and most of my other soaps) is to use a wet brush and twirl it around the soap surface with moderate pressure, ever so slightly, scraping off some soap. Now saturated with soap, I goto my mixing bowl (a big latte cup with a handle), add some water, and lather away. Takes less than a minute. If you find the soap too hard, try leaving some hot water on its surface for 3-5 minutes. Do you have hard water in your area?

No, water is not particularly hard. I think I didn't load the brush up enough with the soap after I scooped it out. OK, I'll use this method now. Meanwhile, I'm still liking my Truefitt shaving cream quite a bit.

This morning I made the best lather ever using the Italian soap. Only difference to my usual method was that I lathered it up for longer, producing a cream that resembles raw meringue.

Have been shaving for the whole week with an electric razor in the car. It was a harried week, no life at all.

Just now I had a wet shave. So much better.