Sign in to follow this  
kotmj

Wetshaving

Guest Mystery

wetshaving.jpg

I pulled the trigger and dived into traditional wet shaving with the purchase of EJ's safety razor. I was pretty much surprised to receive a package one week after putting my order with West Coast Shaving and had it shipped via USPS. I expected for it to arrive my office probably within 3 weeks after my experience with Albert Thurston braces which took almost 4 weeks via Royal Mail.

I ordered: 1) EJ DE89BA11 2) Best Badger Imitation Ivory 3) Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocado Shaving Cream 4) Palmolive Soap Stick

Initially I presumed that West Coast Shaving would have given me free sample packs of razor blades. What I didn't know was that the samples provided were all samples of cream!

I thought I wouldn't be able to shave with the new arrivals but when I opened EJ's safety razor package, I was like, thank God, a 5 blade Derby was provided as a complimentary.

I started my first shave by dipping the best badger in hot water for 5 minutes, I wasn't able to lather well with the Palmolive Soap Stick. It was probably due to the size of the mug which was too small, half of the lather was pouring out of the mug but I continued to shave as usual with 4 passes, probably too aggressive and so I ended up with lot of nicks and cuts around my mouth.

Looks like I got to do some reading and view tutorial vids to start from basic.

Ouch. I think you used too much water. The brush should be wet, but not anywhere near dripping wet. You then swirl the brush on the soap aggressively. Then you can work up a lather with just the brush and what's on it in a small bowl or mug.

The angle of the blade is critical. In the safety razors (Gilette MACH 7), the articulating head determines the angle for you. With DE razors, you have to hold the razor at the right angle.

The first pass is always with the grain, i.e. in the direction of hair growth.

Do read bladeandbadger for beginner guides.

Like you i find Derby not sharp enough and Feather blades too sharp. I personally stick to Personna and Astra.

I havent taken the plunge yet, still using mach 3 with, Tabac Soap and body shop brush. But the brush has gone all bent and made mistake buying wrong blades. So i might have to buy sooner than i expected.

Nice shipment. I have a tub of Taylor's shaving cream, different 'flavour' than yours. Its the best soap for beginners because its a cream and hence easy to lather, and the lathering method required is quite full-proof. Downside is that its a cream: it'll finish real quick if you're not careful.

Nowadays, I'm starting to warm up to the less agressive blades. I take back what I've said before: they're not bad; not bad at all. It was my technique that was lacking.

Guest Mystery
Hey Mystery... whats the damage for those items?

EJ DE Safety Razor US$46

EJ Best Badger US$46

Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocado US$14

Palmolive Shaving Soap Stick $3.75

Shipping US$18.96

Total US$128.71

My original purchase amounted almost over US$200 if I would have included the stand, alum block, and etc. then the shipping charges would have ballooned up to US$40+ for USPS First Class International. I changed my mind and ordered what was essential which are the four items above.

Had a wonderful shave this morning. A good shave makes me feel better the whole day. Odd but true.

A good workout makes me feel great too but I'm too distracted at this phase in my life for something that strenuous and which requires such disciplined eating.

Actually, the people who can best enjoy food are those who work out because their bodies actually need that food (badly). If they don't eat enough they slide into overtraining very quickly. But for largely sedentary people like I've been for over a year, all that food is bad because your body doesn't know what to do with it and doesn't need it. I think I should become vegetarian when I'm not training.

I pulled the trigger at last as well from west coast shaving. You guys been raving abt the services, initially wanted to buy from www.traditionalshaving.co.uk. They had a starter kit which was pretty good and slightly cheaper than west coast, but they were always out of stock fro EJ 89L.

I pulled the trigger at last as well from west coast shaving. You guys been raving abt the services, initially wanted to buy from www.traditionalshaving.co.uk. They had a starter kit which was pretty good and slightly cheaper than west coast, but they were always out of stock fro EJ 89L.

Not sure if this is your virgin DE shave but I nicked myself a few times on my 1st shave so take take your time while shaving and learn the contours of your face.

Got my EJ89L with best badger and stand at last but totally forgot to get the blade bank. Couldnt wait to try it as i've been keeping a beard since ordering this, It took about 2 weeks all in all which is not bad considering its from the states. Had my 1s DE shave last night, WOW! BBS! I didnt have any nicks for a first timer maybe i was bit more cautious but i didnt really get a BBS under chin. With a bit more practice i think, it would be easy peasy.

I'm using Tabac, had it before buying the blades, there was still a lot of it so i didn't bother getting another 1. Maybe i should have gotten a better brush because between my synthetic body shop brush there's not much difference in terms of performance, i do hope it'll get better.

Really getting the hang of this and enjoying this whilst developing technique. Was wondering whats you shaving ritual and what your shaving products besides the shaver and brush.

I'm currently using Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad Calming Aftershave, which is no bad and i also have Nivea aftershave which i've not used since i got the C&E. I'm thinking of getting old school aftershave cologne rather than the balm or cream. Just saw on the C&E website they even have shaving soap with a teak bowl for RM85, that's quite good value.