Sign in to follow this  
kotmj

Wetshaving

Really getting the hang of this and enjoying this whilst developing technique. Was wondering whats you shaving ritual and what your shaving products besides the shaver and brush.

I would usually shave during showers.

My shaving ritual is in the following order: Shower -> Facial cleansing - > Shave

I'd start off by

1) Dip brush and mug in hot water 5 minutes while preparing for shower.

2) During shower, wash face and start to massage mustache and beard area to clean and soften.

3) After face wash, use a little conditioner and continue to massage the same areas, and rinse off.

4) Lather for almost a minute.

5) 4 passes: with the grain, left to right, right to left, and against the grain.

6) Apply Pitralon shaving cologne.

7) Normal facial routine: toner, eye, moisturizer.

After shaving awhile, I realized cream is better to my skin than shaving soap. I tend to get cuts and nicks if I use the Palmolive Soap Stick. In fact I have enjoyed all my shaves using Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocado. After receiving the package, I got many nicks and cut due to hastiness while shaving. My shaves have been improving since I started to gently shave. I can only achieve BBS if I shave every second day. I am now trying to shave on a daily basis to maintain the BBS look but it is difficult as I still end up with nicks and cuts.

I am using Marmite bowl and Old Town Kopitiam Coffee cup as my shaving mug. I find it easier to generate lather using a bowl than a mug.

Nice shaving bowl Kotmj, I'll have to get that next time i'm in ikea. I've been using a coffee mug, it's a bit difficult to get a nice lather with the EJ brush as the opening of the mug is quite small.

This is my shaving ritual:-

1) Soak face towel and brush in hot water

2) I dont shower because it fogs up my mirror but i do wash my face then put the hot towel on my face to soften up the bristle

3) Lather up, still trying to find the balance between liquid and soap to get the right amount of lather

4) So far because im still learning DE, 2 passes with the grain and only against the grain under the chin

5) Apply after shave cream

Even without going against the grain, i've achieve quite a BBS. Just the nooks and crannies ive not achieved BBS.

Carbman: Your right the brush is getting softer

Was at Body Shop yesterday. They only have one aftershave (not Maca Razor Relief), but it was RM68 for a little tube of overglorified moisturizer.

Gents, how many shaves do you get before you need to change the blade? Been reading on B&B, the general consesus for derby was about 3-4 shaves.

I change mine after 4-5 shaves. Twenty shaves is definitely overdue for a change. Especially with blunt Derbys!

(null)

The Feathers I use maybe 10X. The optimum is about by the 4th or 5th shave. By the 7th shave I should really be replacing it but I'm lazy and procrastinate and by the 10th shave it's more like a pencil sharpener.

Was at Body Shop yesterday. They only have one aftershave (not Maca Razor Relief), but it was RM68 for a little tube of overglorified moisturizer.

Why don't you go old skool..like 4711, Old spice, Florida water.. i don't recommend Brut tho..

I've tried these expensive aftershave like clinique, lancome etc..so called hypo allergic lotion.. but still my face would act up with acne.

I have found a way to chemically clean my chromed razor.

I took a glass, poured in some regular vinegar (the cheap stuff), heated it up in the microwave, then put the razor pieces into it. Left it there for 10 minutes. They came out almost like new.

Every time i change my blade, i give the shaver a good scrub down with dish washing liquid. comes out as good as new.

some dude told me that theres a shop in one u that sells shaving stuff. acca kappa or something like that. i only use an electronic waterproof shaver :P

How much was it Joon? I remember reading somewhere it was about 100 bucks. Now how do train my barber to do it for a quarter of the price?

I think there are two options. One for about RM60 and one for about RM90. The more expensive one has more hot towels and other operations involved!

Very good shave actually. You have to tell them if you want them to be more aggressive or not. Otherwise the default is a 'tame' shave, so you may not achieve 'bbs' level smoothness. The whole experience is actually very nice. The barbers are very knowledgeable, but the 'managers' not so much, which is a pity.

Also, skip the shoeshine. They only have neutral, black and brown wax. The staff gave me a blank look when I told them my shoes were shell cordovan.

What a strange experience. I bought a 10-pack of DE blades from Daiso. Dorco brand, made in Korea. I just had a shave with it. My first impression was it is blunt like hell -- I could hear it trying to cut through the cuticles with imperfect success. Zip, zip, zip it went. What a loser I thought.

But it is impossible to cut myself with it. I handled the razor with some carelessness to see what it would do but it just kept shaving bluntly.

And now I have a smooth chin and no irritation or nicks.

It's an extreme sort of bluntness, duller than even one week old Feathers. Yet it is idiotproof and with enough passes actually yields a BBS. I dunno, let me use this a bit more then I'll give another review.

Feather + EJ = bbs. Wow derby is shite compared to feather. I fell like binning the rest of the sampler pack without even trying.

Derby is exceptionally bad. The rest are nice too. Personna is my favourite for a comfortable shave.

(null)

I keep an eye out on Daiso stuff because their inventory evolves, throwing up the occasional surprise. Most of their razors are disposable and made by KAI Corp., Japan's largest blade maker. KAI also makes the Shun range of expensive (and somewhat lame) kitchen knives.

They have these disposables at their Publika outlet:

P7083796.jpg

Made in Japan by KAI. The razors have a handle made of stamped steel painted with a sage green that is typical of industrial production machines from the 70s and 80s. Very retro.

P7083799.jpg

The thing is very light in the hand. It is very sharp -- I think not quite Feather sharp but certainly sharper than the Dorco brand (made in Korea). The experience of shaving with this is better than a plastic disposable but nowhere near the experience of an Edwin Jagger.