Sign in to follow this  
kotmj

Wetshaving

How do you guys shave under the nose? I cant seem to get a clean shave with the DE, i still have to resort to Gillette to do that area.

Had the worse shave ever yesterday, cant explain what happened, i'm kind of perplexed. Had a new feather blade, went 3 passes, it look as if i didnt shave at all. I'm not sure whether i put the wrong blade in or put the blade wrongly or i have this ritual of putting the shaver in hot water before the shave, yesterday was extra boiling. Hmmph weird.....

Just had a very nice beard trim at the local outpost of NV Barbers. Beard trimmed by hand with scissors, a round of some soothing balm, the expected hot towel, and an unexpected arm and shoulder massage while said towel is wrapped around face. Finished off with some methylated salve. All for 8 pounds.

Bought some Wilkinson DE razors at Hanifa (Masjid India). They come in packs of 5's, and cost RM3.90 per pack. Very blunt, worse even than BICs. But I'm able to get very smooth shaves with even the bluntest of blades, so no problem. I've come to appreciate the BICs -- they are sharp enough while being very forgiving.

I'm fast running out of shaving soap and will order a puck of the Italian stuff soon.

Nowadays I shave in an intuitive way. I no longer think about controlling the razor. I somehow get a great shave everytime with no nicks unlike in the earlier days.

Can anyone comment on truefitt and hills aftershave? they run about RM2XX a bottle, after a chat with the person at the store i recon a bottle would last a guy about 9-12 months

They kinda double as a cologne as well but does not last as long.

I am going to head down to Mustaffa centre to buy myself a DE razor, some blades, shave cream and a brush. Experiment for a while to see if I like wetshaving better before investing in the better stuff. Little India is the place to find anything.

Will ask my spouse to buy me a Weishi DE to try.

4C312787-21FD-4B76-B409-95D3487AF8D6-1738-000003319AC01B1F_zpsa333769b.jpg

Back from my shopping trip. Beside the body shop balm and ikPea plastic bowl everything else is from Mustafa. I can only find the Shogun 3 pc razor, last remaining pack of Cromo blades, Omega brush and Nivea cream. Lots of KAI grooming products including nail clippers, plastic razors and single edge razor and blades.

PS: I survived my first shave. It was fun but very slow and tedious. Took me 5 pass to get a reasonable clean shave.

All these found at the mama shop below my flat. How come I never noticed.

A7119579-174A-4A3C-AFFA-55B0F6310345-2531-00000479E81D5953_zps86c1e7e0.jpg

The Nivea Creme is the best aftershave product ever which is not even meant for such use. Totally no burning sensation from alcohol and feels so "normal" after shaving. Only drawing is it has no smell and leaves a film of greasy residue. However it is so cheap. The small tin like a shoe shine cost 1 dollar. There is a giant tub which cost 5 dollars which I think can last a lifetime.

I enjoyed wetshaving so much its like a daily routine to destress at the end of a bad day at work. I get many of those. Or a great way to perk me up for another bad day at work.

I took the plunge and order a DE89 from WCS. Can't wait for the package to arrive. Bought the Omega stand and metal vava too.

I can't believe you find all these exotic blades within your apartment block. Blue blades? Are they heat blued like watch hands?

You will be super impressed with the DE89.

Review of the Super Blue on BnB http://badgerandblade.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-80668.html. These are very rare and expensive. Cost me 2.50 per box of 5. The others are ubiquitous in any Indian mama shop.

I found some shaving goodies while Qoo10.sg shopping portal. Caveat emptor.

Thayers Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera Toner

http://list.qoo10.sg/gmkt.inc/Goods/goods.aspx?goodscode=408689675

Tweezerman Badger Brush

http://list.qoo10.sg/gmkt.inc/Goods/goods.aspx?goodscode=408202135

Feather Platinum Blade

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/FEATHER-100-FEATHER-HI-STAINLESS-DOUBLE/405904401

Damn the badger brush is out of stock. I m using Thayers witch hazel as aftershave, apply onto face with spray bottle. So for no allergy.

The Dorcos from DAISO worked well with my 3 dollar shogun de. Cleaner shave than the Cromas. But just that they are blunt and they take forever to achieve a BBS

Petia, I'm also planning a trip to Mustafa to get my first DE razor. Is the Shogun razor from a specific shop or is it available in abundance there?

I currently use the typical Mach3 cartridge, but with a Body Shop shave cream lathered with a brush. Am intrigued to try a DE razor now. :) I've also noticed a shop near my place selling Wilkinson blades. Anyone tried these before?

I think random DE razors don't work. Sure, they function, but it's only a pleasure with a good razor.

I've tried the Wilkinsons. For me, there are the Feathers, which is in a category of its own, and then there are everything else. I shave mostly with the latter category. Feathers are too sharp.

BTW, I've still not bought an aftershave. I use a face moisturiser, right now a certain "Sun Play" a Kao (I think) brand. It's remarkably light, almost like it's not there, but has SPF 25.

The shogun is the only razor to be found in Mustafa. Or else you need to buy EJ from whathewants. But they dont have the popular 89 or 89-11

I use the shogun as a stop gap measure, I read its a bloodbath for new users so be very careful. Still waiting for my EJ to arrive from WCS.

You can find it at the first floor main wing. So far I am lucky to only suffer a few nicks. And its hard to get a nice clean shave YMMV.