• Please log in to reply
555 replies to this topic

#541 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:01 PM

He's the tai kor in Perth, he's in the know.

I wondered into a shave shop in Picadilly arcade once, stocked to the brim with inventory. But this is before I started wetshaving so have no idea how prices stack up. Hopefully much cheaper than what the clueless Buyers at Coles/ Woolies have priced them at.

At $15 I always wonder who keeps buying them, for Coles/ Woolies to continue stocking it. Its likely the section is stocked by a Gilette rep. Still, my guess is the return on space must be abysmal.

#542 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,351 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:48 PM

My razor has in it a pretty dull blade, I discovered. So buying a fresh one was on my mind. I've seen the same pack of 10 Wilkinson blades sold at several different places at pretty similar prices. I do not think several different supermarket and pharmacy chains would independently decide pack of 10 Wilkinson blades at about AUD 14-15 to be a brilliant idea to serve the needs of DE shavers, so it is probably a consignment stock from Gillette.

#543 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:48 AM

There also the shave shop an Australian, they stock the DEs besides the electric, i thought its only marginally expensive to buying in UK

#544 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,351 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:15 AM

IMG_3275.jpg?raw=1
We did of course go to this shop which many of you have also been to, but Misfit thinks the prices here to be even higher than Coles, so we did not go in. He's probably mistaken. As I said, recent immigrant.

#545 Cokiee

Cokiee

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:04 PM

So I recently started wetshaving. Bought the 'standard' beginner's kit:

- Muhle R89

- Sample pack of blades

- Omega 10065 (which is a standard run-of-the-mill boar)

- Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol cream soap

- Alum stone

Been having fun so far trying to figure out what's best for me; am on the Gilette silver blue now. Had to make some lifestyle changes however, shifting my shaving to the night before instead of in the morning.

#546 asrat

asrat

Nanotimer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:09 PM

Planning of buying this blade. It looks so cool just like it was designed by Apple!

https://www.onebladeshave.com

Currently out of stock. :(

maxresdefault.jpg

#547 Loh

Loh

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationPetaling Jaya

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:36 PM

So I dropped my Muhler some time back and it broke. I've been using the vintage 60++ year-old razor for the past few months. No infections so far from a dead (probably) man's  razor.

But I'd like to keep this antique in good condition. I wanted to get a Merkur from Amazon but most don't ship to Malaysia and if they do it costs quite a sum.

So where do you all get your DE razors from? Is there a good local place or do most of you guys get them from online stores?

#548 Cokiee

Cokiee

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:06 PM

I got mine from connaughtshaving.com, i think west coast shaving is also quite popular? Not sure if they ship to M'sia though.

#549 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:41 AM

Some thoughts on Acqua di Parma shaving soft soap/cream (Crema Soffice Da Pennello) - having finished a jar recently.

I purchased my jar last year around August time, and after using it as my sole shave soap, it lasted me until the end of June this year (so, about 10 months). I shave on average every 2.5 days (taking into account travel periods, since I don't travel with the jar). Overall I am pleased with how long the 125g jar lasted. Price was around £40 or £45 I think.

The scent I was very pleasant and luxurious. Its a much milder version of their famous Acqua di Parma EDT. I wouldn't have minded a stronger scent as I love Acqua di Parma EDT. 

The lather it produces is top notch and protective, but needs to be thick. So don't skimp on the lathering phase, and load up your brush with a good amount. Since its super easy to lather up, so this shouldn't be a problem. 

In terms of comparison with the other 2 Italian soaps/creams I love which is Santa Maria Novella and Cella (tub); I would place this ever so slightly above Cella in terms of performance of the lather, but just slightly. The Santa Maria Novella shaving soap is still holds its place as my top performer easily, and beats both ADP and Cella in my book. Obviously YMMV since everyone's skin/ frag preference is different. 

One of these days I really need to get a hold of the Cella brick to try out. 

#550 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,351 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:34 AM

I can pass you a chunk from the Cella brick.

#551 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:22 AM

I will take you up on that when I'm next in town.

How goes the Tabac? What do you think about it? 

#552 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,351 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:22 AM

I haven't tried the Tabac yet. I'm currently on Arko. I find all these soaps extremely good, it all boils down to the scent. These are, after all, survivors where so many have gone extinct.

#553 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:11 AM

Arko is a great soap. Personally I like the citronella scent. 

For me its scent and whether my sensitive skin can handle the formula. 

Castle Forbes Lime is a highly regarded soap on the shave forums, but it irritates my skin and I can't get a good shave out of it. 

#554 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:12 AM

These are, after all, survivors where so many have gone extinct.

Darwin's natural selection of shave soaps.

#555 Loh

Loh

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationPetaling Jaya

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:10 AM

I do like Arko shaving soaps. They last a long while and have a pleasant scent. Arko also does aftershave creams but I haven't tried them yet since I've been keeping the beard.

#556 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:41 PM

New revelation for me, boar brushes are fantastic. 

My last brush purchase was made in 2013, when I acquired an EJ super badger. I thought it would be the only brush I would ever need, and it has been. That is, until a sexy Italian temptress came calling. 

About 2 weeks ago I acquired a Zenith boar brush, made in Palermo by Pennellificio Pandolfo. Solid aluminium handle, with pristine long blonde boar hairs. The brush is made in the traditional Italian barber brush archetype. The current standard for this sort of brush is the Omega 48 "Professional". Omegas come with plastic handles which are hollow, but being made from solid aluminium, the Zenith has much more heft and it comes off as really well manufactured.   

I was always under the impression that boar was the lowest grade of brush in the spectrum of shave brushes; they are cheap, reportedly scratchy, and in need of a substantial break in period before they begin to soften and lose their animal smell. 

How wrong I was. Within 10 shaves, this Zenith is much softer and more luxurious than my super badger ever was. And by all accounts it will only continue to break in and soften more over time (but I'm fine even if this is the peak of its comfort). 

If you use just the tips of the brush to lather as you would with a badger, you experience nothing but plush softness. 

If you apply a little more pressure whilst lathering on your face, the bristles have a great spring to them (wrongly described as "stiff" in shave forums IMO) compared to a badger. I get nice pressure and feedback from the bristles on my skin which I feel lifts and softens up facial hair (I do this on my chin where the hairs are thickest). 

A truly wonderful brush; especially considering this was roughly £11 (this is with VAT). My super badger from EJ was circa £40. 

tumblr_otdxgru5TQ1wvtaoyo2_500.jpg

tumblr_otdxgru5TQ1wvtaoyo1_500.jpg

tumblr_otdxgru5TQ1wvtaoyo3_500.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users