465 replies to this topic

#1 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

Gents,

I'm looking for cufflinks, lost so many of them, well perhaps some of you might be familiar with the situation when your in drunken stupor, rolling up sleeves and next morning you wake up you've got only a cufflink. On hindsight should have kept the singles and make a pair of odd cufflinks.

I was hoping somebody can point to the right direction for good quality and reasonably priced cufflinks,

#2 terrorsquad

terrorsquad

Megatimer

• Yang Berbahagia
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

I have a similiar problem. Nowdays, i just buy from Primark.3 pounds and they look great.Got me a lot more comments then my Tods cufflinks.

#3 kenterong

kenterong

Megatimer

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

yeah, the primark ones are hard to beat. sometimes they come together in a set with matching tie. alternatively, you can source some from cuffz. really good value when they go on sale (i think they're on sale right now).

#4 hst20

hst20

Megatimer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

eBay?

#5 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

What type of cufflinks do you folks fancy?

I like the silk knots, this bunch of vintage shell and mineral ones, and a pair of Paul Smith stripey ones that were very cool. What's available at Cuffz? I've always been repelled by the shop's poor spelling.

#6 terrorsquad

terrorsquad

Megatimer

• Yang Berbahagia
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

i fancy silver ones. I suggest for you to trawl etsy.I once came across a gorgeous pair of vintage silver coat of arms cufflinks.I regret to this day not buying them

#7 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

Cuffz, personally i thought they were crap. I bought 2 or 3. Could only used 1 of the cufflinks once. They break apart so easily. I've done the ebay thingy it was either too expensive or too cheap looking, saw some Robert Talbot on SF, it was just a bit over my budget.

#8 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

My go to pair are knot shaped sterling silver which are one piece. Similar to something kentwang had on his site.

Easy to put on in the morning, which is good - given I'm mostly a zombie before my coffee. I'm also a fan of silk knots.

#9 kenterong

kenterong

Megatimer

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:24 PM

well, i've not had a bad experience with the cuffz links (pun intended) so far. definitely used them more than once.

cuffz have got a decent selection, including silk knots. lots of novelty cufflinks too. their largest outlet is at bangsar village 2.

#10 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:24 PM

Just got a pair of silk knots from cuffz for 13.90myr. Red white and blue.

(null)

#11 Guest_Style_*

Guest_Style_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

Hi people,

I don't see any topic relating to braces. Hopefully I am posting this in the right topic.

How would you match the color of braces in relation to the color of your attire? Also, I've read somewhere to avoid clip on buttons. Is it that bad? I'm currently looking at Thurston braces, what do you think?

#12 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

Joonian and TS, thanks for the heads up on the link on SF and etsy. I like the purple amethyst and the pearl, etsy has some nice ones as well.

#13 terrorsquad

terrorsquad

Megatimer

• Yang Berbahagia
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

Some interesting vintage ones

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

Braces are meant to be worn under the jacket so just go with whatever colour you want. Keep the black and white braces for black tie though.

#15 residentdandy

residentdandy

Megatimer

• Members
  • 438 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

The ones with the centaurs are pretty nice! Those gears are, however, a little too steampunk for my liking!

"In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing." - Oscar Wilde

http:/www.instagram.com/residentdandy

#16 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,685 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:21 PM

The Wedgewood links are evül.

#17 Bkt

Bkt

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

What do you lads think gold cuff links go well with? Black tie? Silver one's seem to be more conservative and versatile

#18 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

Just came across this discussion in SF. I didn't save the link, unfortunately, but someone mentioned something about Andy's ratio of money spent on wardrobe. For every $100 spent on a suit, I think it was $10 on a tie, something like $25 on a shirt and so on. The idea is to harmonise the wardrobe so that you don't have, say, a wildly expensive Borrelli tie paired with a Uniqlo shirt and a Kiton suit. What do people think of this notion? What about the counter-argument that style lies in the space between mixing high and low?

#19 residentdandy

residentdandy

Megatimer

• Members
  • 438 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:12 AM

I think there's nothing wrong with using those markers as general guidelines and I agree with the idea of harmonisation. That said, one should note that while fine goods usually come at a price, high price is not necessarily an accurate indicator of quality and style. Besides, other considerations come into play (for me at least) e.g. not splurging when it comes to white shirts because they tend to yellow visibly much more quickly than others in this climate, or spending less on my shirts in general because I tend to get tired of them after a while.

A rigid adherence to the ratios mentioned may very produce another Hermes Man! :P

"In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing." - Oscar Wilde

http:/www.instagram.com/residentdandy

#20 hst20

hst20

Megatimer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

I agree with residentdandy. And I think we also would each have preferences on where we may want to spulrge a little more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users