465 replies to this topic

#461 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:25 PM

Yours is in the "optimo" style, a style much favoured by planters in British Malaya. It's the style worn by Tan Ngan Lo.
Tan+Ngan+Lo.jpg

Mine is in the fedora style.

#462 Dr Chong

Dr Chong

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:19 AM

You need three things. The first is heavy starch, almidon fuerte. It comes in a spray can. A lint free white cotton napkin. And a iron. Spray starch directly on the rim of the hat. Spray water on napkin. Leave both to settle. Set iron to cotton high. Place wetted side of napkin over one section of brim of hat and use only the heel of the iron by pressing down. Do not run the iron. Or your hat will look strange. Just press it down like a stamping tool. Repeat process till you complete the entire circumference of the hat. After that let it stand by placing it on the iron with the brim at ninety degrees to cool.

A real superfino is a super duper costly affair. Unless you happen to circulate around cattle barons and planters in S.America begging for land or mining concessions - investing in one is a lousy proposition. Wearing a superfino in Asia is akin to driving a Morgan or Bristol - no one would even know the difference between an Ecadorian which they are content to mislabel as a Panama. Neither would they care or know whether it's constructed out of real Mipi straw harvested only between the months of July and June and woven only in the early morning and in the evening when it's coolest in Montecristi or made out of recycled bleached paper. Unless of course you happen to be mixing with planters who attend tea garden luncheons in creme linen suits, spectator shoes and of course to complete the assemble a montecristi - but I digress. Undersrand this. Only the fine straw variety can be rolled and expected to come to shape with minimal hand manipulation - that video misleads. Even then. They would ALL benefit from the treatment I recommended from time to time as humidity and temp plays a role in keeping form. As for the paper variety. They're good to go as well.

I hope this helps.

#463 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:47 PM

Before pressing
IMG_20170224_164211_zpssiabbe33.jpg

After pressing
IMG_20170224_164237_zpsxvyb0k0z.jpg

I didn't use starch, but otherwise did much like the instructions above. I thought I could get away without the steam, but it is quite necessary.

The hat went through a stress test today: lunch and errands in Bentong town. While crossing the main artery of Bentong, the aptly named Jalan Besar, a gust of wind blew it off my head onto the road---while a barrage of cars were coming at me. Scrambled to pick it off the ground and scampered to the side. I learnt to jam it in tighter after that.

Otherwise it did a good job of keeping my head cooler and the direct sun off my face.

#464 Loh

Loh

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationPetaling Jaya

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:45 PM

Codis Maya - London. Cufflink maker.

#465 Loh

Loh

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationPetaling Jaya

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:17 PM

I'm thinking of ordering some ties from For Belvedere, an online shop for Gentleman's Gazette blog.

Does anybody have any experience/feedback on the quality and value of the ties? They have very nice designs and seem to have much better prices compared to Drakes. But I've never held either of them on my hands so I can't make that judgement.

https://www.gentlema...ies/ties-3-fold

edit: Unless a particular Nazi Spaniard bespoke tie from Spain has better value?

#466 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:30 PM

Nazi Spaniard is crazy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users