112 replies to this topic

#1 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

I watched two movies with excellent wardrobes recently.

The first is the 70s period film Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Suits from the 50s and 60s worn by the characters in the 70s. With a smattering of 70s pop culture tailoring in the background and periphery.

The second is The Adjustment Bureau. The suits are not what one would call SF approved, but nevertheless, much better fitting than what is usually seen in many Hollywood projects. Trousers with one break, very clean shoulders and collar, etc.

What are some movies you've seen with good wardrobes?

#2 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,603 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

Wah, the first thread in this section.

I like Margin Call very much. It's a movie about Goldman Sachs and the latest depression. Goldman was the first to realise that the swaps were imploding, and this movie is about the evening when Goldman realises what was happening and the all nighter involving the CEO & board and the massive selloff the next morning.

Lots of fused, tall collars. I like the way the wardrobe designer lets the head of the trading desk (Kevin Spacey) wear these colourful Acorn-like shirts but those more junior wear plain shirts. Jeremy Irons (I think he's a dying man) makes a rare appearance as the CEO, a spirited performance.

#3 uturn

uturn

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:22 AM

For me...James Bond would be the best dressed character. Regardless of who is playing him.
And the latest i saw was 'Limitless' starring Bradley Cooper. The suits that he wore was awesome.

#4 kenterong

kenterong

Megatimer

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:38 AM

don't forget wall street: money never sleeps.

#5 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

I thought the original Wall Street had an awesome wardobe for the period. That movie kind of started my fascination with suits.

Lock stock & 2 smoking barrels, the main character Jason Statham had a nice suits. The earlier Guy Ritchie works had nice Saville Row suits.

#6 residentdandy

residentdandy

Megatimer

• Members
  • 438 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:32 AM

Anyone knows of the 1957 film 12 Angry Men? A time when people just seemed to dress better without much conscious effort.

Posted Image

I might be mistaken but that sure looks like a lot of linen.

"In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing." - Oscar Wilde

http:/www.instagram.com/residentdandy

#7 F1refighter

F1refighter

Megatimer

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:26 AM

Err.... How can we even forget Mad Men?

Yes, the 60s styling of the suit with thin lapels and very heavily waisted jackets may not be to everyone's liking but they do carry a strong influence to how men think they should dressed like at work. At least some are putting in a biiiit of effort.

(And yes, it's a TV series not movies but can also lah)

#8 deriku

deriku

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

I don't think the suits in Mad Men are overly waisted, they look more like sack suits to me. Barring the skinny lapels and ties (probably there for the sake of historical accuracy), the costumes are miles better than any other modern drama series.

How about the Chuck Bass character in Gossip Girls? Pretty dandy suits, and yes I have been watching too much TV with the missus :D

#9 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

I love his character but Chuck Bass's suit trousers need to be hemmed properly. Also his wardrobe artist needs to learn to tie better tie knots.

I will submit Xmen - first class as my entry into the well dressed movie club.

#10 uturn

uturn

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

Goddamit.. there's a blog on James Bond Suits.. http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com
Doncha just luvv the internet..hehe

#11 helnaur

helnaur

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:50 AM

What about A Single Man by Tom Ford? Not a huge wardrobe though, since it was all about Colin's Firth's character.

#12 andrew

andrew

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

Just came back from the Iron Lady. I think the wardrobe was a success. The suits are very british. No black except in parliament, or during scenes where emphasis was given to the main actress who was always in blue. The jackets were in an assortment of colours, all very muted and soporific, pagoda shoulders, wide lapels, rather low gorges but adds to the charm of that era, no tie-PS matching, most suits had good sleeve roll, all double vented, all four-in-hand knots. In general, the jackets looked very stiff and very shapely at the same time, this is the best I know how to put it.

I cringed at the scene where maggie was bagging her late husband's shoes (all very nice, I suspect EGs) to be given to oxfam.

#13 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,603 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

I watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Every suit in the movie is bespoke. Given the setting of the movie -- 70's London -- they may well be Savile Row. One of the jackets, the one on the young blond spy, has concave shoulders.

One peculiarity of the wardrobe is how each character only has one suit. The entire movie they are in that one suit.

#14 kneok

kneok

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

Saw "This Means War" last weekend. Some serious Saville Row suit action going on in that movie.

SPOILERS:- The Bad Guy even paid a visit to a tailor there!

#15 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

I watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Every suit in the movie is bespoke. Given the setting of the movie -- 70's London -- they may well be Savile Row. One of the jackets, the one on the young blond spy, has concave shoulders.

One peculiarity of the wardrobe is how each character only has one suit. The entire movie they are in that one suit.

I was just about to post on the movie. Classic wardrobe, i didnt notice it, but now that you mention it, your right Kotmj.

#16 goliath

goliath

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

While in Hanoi, watched "The King's Speech".

It was about King George VI,who met Australian speech therapist, Lionel Logue to cope with his stammering. They became friends as they work together and after King Edward VIII abdicated the throne, King George VI relied on Logue to help him make his first wartime radio broadcast.

Was fascinated with only Logue's wardrobe: DB and 3-piece suit (in tweed, i presume) with trousers cut full. Fit was almost spot-on, no collar gaps, etc.

However, King George's suit was terrible and he played the King...

#17 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

^ also very disappointing in that movie was the wardrobe of the legendary dandy himself, the Prince of Wales.

#18 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,603 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

While in Hanoi, watched "The King's Speech".

It was about King George VI,who met Australian speech therapist, Lionel Logue to cope with his stammering. They became friends as they work together and after King Edward VIII abdicated the throne, King George VI relied on Logue to help him make his first wartime radio broadcast.

Was fascinated with only Logue's wardrobe: DB and 3-piece suit (in tweed, i presume) with trousers cut full. Fit was almost spot-on, no collar gaps, etc.

However, King George's suit was terrible and he played the King...

You have quite an eye for suits. Logue's is bespoke, the King's was thrifted!!!! Awful fit, uncorrected dropped shoulder, collar gaping the entire time, etc. Logue's, OTOH, is just excellent. I wonder who the tailor was.

The character of Logue was also played better than the King's (if a bit theatrical).

#19 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,603 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

I was watching The Confession starring Kiefer Sutherland and John Hurt when I saw an extreme example of pagoda shoulders. Rather badly implemented, too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 amateursarto

amateursarto

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

Hands down for me these two: Inception and Gattaca.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users