Sign in to follow this  
joonian

Movies with good wardrobes

Just watched this. Brilliant attention to detail (in terms of wardrobe) in this movie.

Whose? Matt Damon (Tom Ripley) or Jude Law (Dickie Greenleaf)

All I remembered from this movie is Jude Law telling Matt Damon,"You look so pale, your skin is like grey!" And later on, Matt Damon smashed Jude Law's skull with the oar inside the boat because he said that his skin was grey.

talented2.png

I'd wear everything they were wearing. The storyline on the other hand was really mindfcuking. The scene where Tom hit Dickie with the oar will stay with me forever =/

I'd wear everything they were wearing. The storyline on the other hand was really mindfcuking. The scene where Tom hit Dickie with the oar will stay with me forever =/

That's really nothing compared to Patrick Batemen (Christian Bale) axing Paul Allen (Jared Leto) in American Psycho on the perfectly newspaper-covered floor.

tumblrm64dt276r21rx6qye.jpg

• Like 1

Whose? Matt Damon (Tom Ripley) or Jude Law (Dickie Greenleaf)

All I remembered from this movie is Jude Law telling Matt Damon,"You look so pale, your skin is like grey!" And later on, Matt Damon smashed Jude Law's skull with the oar inside the boat because he said that his skin was grey.

*SPOILER*

When Tom was masquerading as a Princeton man, he was full on Ivy with the corduroy jacket, black silk knit and repp ties, OCBD shirts.

damon-talented-ripley.jpg

talented-mr-ripley-damon-1.jpg

mrripley.jpg

Later when he assumes Greenleaf's identity, now channeling the wealthy international playboy - his dress become decidedly more continental and sleek with nicer jackets,eye-talian bit loafers (though his look is never as effortless like Jude Law's character).

OB-UB127_gaudoi_DV_20120806090416.jpg

Talented_Mr_Ripley-blanchett.gif

I watched Les Miserables today. I do not write well enough to describe the magnificence of the movie.

I once watched online a short interview of an Austrian conductor who was doing Beethoven's 6th with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and he described the piece as being "without compromises". Les Miserables is without compromise. Flawless photography, shockingly good acting, very, very emotive.

The trailer for a new Ip Man movie was shown before the show started, and it was a remarkable trailer -- I think the most cinematic movie to come out of HK -- and I was thinking to myself that Hollywood has been eclipsed by the Asians. Then the show started, and I realised Hollywood is still the best.

I watched Les Miserables today. I do not write well enough to describe the magnificence of the movie.

I once watched online a short interview of an Austrian conductor who was doing Beethoven's 6th with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and he described the piece as being "without compromises". Les Miserables is without compromise. Flawless photography, shockingly good acting, very, very emotive.

The trailer for a new Ip Man movie was shown before the show started, and it was a remarkable trailer -- I think the most cinematic movie to come out of HK -- and I was thinking to myself that Hollywood has been eclipsed by the Asians. Then the show started, and I realised Hollywood is still the best.

It is Les Misérables, not Les Miserables.

Hannibal - if only because Mr Hopkins wears a panama with such a deadly panache.

Hannibal_Anthony-Hopkins_Panama-band.bmp.jpg

Hannibal_Hopkins_Cutler-sunglasses_mid.bmp.jpg

• Like 1

Argo for big lapels and strong, structured shoulders.

argo_argo35.jpg

Early on, one of the supporting actors (Kyle Chandler) also sports a jacket with big lapels and pagoda shoulders. It's pretty nice, and would easily pass off as pitti-wear in current day.

Lincoln.

Beautiful, beautiful movie. Daniel Day-Lewis is amazing, perfect.

I wasn't focusing on the wardrobe, but they wore what I would think to be period-appropriate attire. The last movie that left me with such a profound feeling is The Shawshank Redemption.

• Like 2

I watched Charlie Rose interview the screenwriter. Then there was an interview with Spielberg and Day-Lewis. But haven't watched the movie yet because it's no longer showing in the cinemas and my laptop DVD drive is broken.

Daniel Day Lewis is practically autistic. He seems incapable of managing a normal interview.

Also, those people went nuts with the Method acting on that movie. Apparently every single piece of paper and object in every scene was an exact historical replica.

All this makes me wonder, if Method acting is making something as realistic as possible, then why even call it acting at all?

The price of genius...

Daniel Day Lewis is practically autistic. He seems incapable of managing a normal interview.

Also, those people went nuts with the Method acting on that movie. Apparently every single piece of paper and object in every scene was an exact historical replica.

All this makes me wonder, if Method acting is making something as realistic as possible, then why even call it acting at all?

Maybe it's just semantics?

I think I'm going to watch it a few more times. The dialogue in the movie is amazing. I find Spielberg's movies to usually be visuals first, then dialogue, but in Lincoln the dialogue takes far, far higher precedence. I need to watch it a few more times to really "get" it.

Nobody speaks like that (in the movie) anymore, which is a real shame...such flair, such eloquence. Today we have Americans who cannot even tell the difference between your and you're.

if Method acting is making something as realistic as possible, then why even call it acting at all?

Joon, i agree with you on this. To what extremities do you take on the character i.e. Day-Lewis. I dont know man, i think he's a genius but does he really need to be in character 24 hours a day for 3 months.