Sign in to follow this  
joonian

Movies with good wardrobes

It's a passion project, Lincoln. It's not commercial like Jurassic Park or Schindler's List. It's very much a business story, one of strategy, tactics, interests, project management, rolling with the punches and a strong bias towards execution!

The only Lincoln movie I watched was the vampire hunter version. Interesting twist of the underground railroad ... spoiler alert.

I watched Les Miserables today. I do not write well enough to describe the magnificence of the movie.

At last got the chance to watch it, I have to agree with some other member's comments, the musical was much better. But not taking anything away from the film, it's not bad at all for the big screen.

Caught "The Great Gatsby" just now. DiCaprio is amazing. Alas, he is the only reason to watch the movie. Nick Carraway is the typical IQ of 90-100 points guy whose dumb face I kept wanting to kick. All that hoopla by everyone over a dumb broad. Totally not worth it. As the movie drew to a close, I felt aggravated. It's Carraway's lack of IQ -- he reminds me of all the intellectually subpar people I have to work with, and who have caused me so many inconveniences.

The Great Gatsby, both the movie and the book, have not been positive for me. I read the book towards the end of my uni days. More specifically, I was reading the book on the day I drank a whole bottle of Chianti. In one sitting. I've never done such a thing until then, but that day was exceptionally bad for me and I needed it. Looking back, it was the one day where I felt utter disappointment. I spent the next day in bed with the book my only distraction, totally hung over.

Oh yeah, major product placements by Moet et Chandon in the movie.

Re-watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy again. I didn't quite get it the first time because I wasn't focused on it. Maybe I was concentrating too hard on the wardrobe, dunno.

But my, what a good plot. I thought it was just brilliant. #2 or #3 for me, after Shawshank and perhaps Lincoln.

House of cards,Kevin spacey. The most riveting tv series since breakin bad for me. Some critics says the best political show since west wing. I haven't seen west wing but I thought this was awesome. Kevin spacey acting sublime. I thought his suits was really good nice structured tailored look typical American suits. His black tie was very nice.

Chinatown starring Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway, from 1973. Spent entire movie entranced by suits.

introduction+2++Chinatown+Jack+Nicholson

Glasses+4+++++Chinatown+Jack+Nicholson+F

Mrs.+Mulwray+house+5+Chinatown+Jack+Nich

Love+4++Chinatown+Jack+Nicholson+Faye+Du

That last jacket...! Diamond weave be killin' it (last photo for closeup purposes).

Alas it seems a difficult creature to find these days. Only one I've seen is a navy version from fox bros, labelled as pheasant's eye and costing 90 pounds per metre.

• Like 2

Also did a bit of quick googling. I thought that Nicholson must've been a lot slimmer and more athletic when he did this movie. Not as much as I'd believed, it turns out - Bonhams auctioned a suit from the movie and listed his chest as 42", waist as 35". 

Mrs.+Mulwray+house+5+Chinatown+Jack+Nich

I quite like the ventless look. Maybe I should try it in future...........

Love+4++Chinatown+Jack+Nicholson+Faye+Du

That last jacket...! Diamond weave be killin' it (last photo for closeup purposes).

Alas it seems a difficult creature to find these days. Only one I've seen is a navy version from fox bros, labelled as pheasant's eye and costing 90 pounds per metre.

^saw something similar in Marling and Evans's Naturals range too

^saw something similar in Marling and Evans's Naturals range too

Yes you're right! Looks too heavy for tropical wear though. The fox variant is 11 or 12 oz.

Yep it probably will not be suitable for tropical weather. Is the one from fox a flannel? I tend to associate the diamond weave with winter fabrics. 

Kotmj, give it a bit more time. Maybe it will go from dated to vintage classic  ;) .

Really hard to tell how it will look when made up, because I have never seen a diamond weave jacket. I wonder how a 8/9 oz flannel will perform.

You should all go watch The Grand Budapest Hotel. Lots of tailcoats and amazing suspended trousers. One gets to see what this whole business of "long leg line" is about in this movie. Amazing tailoring.

Also, it shows there is a place in the world for crisp, heavily starched shirts.

The-Grand-Budapest-Hotel-Hotel.jpg