Sign in to follow this  
kotmj

What you're reading right now

steve-jobs-biography-by-walter-isaacson.jpg

I'm reading Steve Jobs by Walther Isaacson, his official biography. It gives the best insight ever into Jobs. He is a man obsessed with perfection, a tyrant, and the worst sufferer of fools you will ever meet, worse even than me.

jared diamond's collapse.

it's a treatise on the collapse of ancient civilizations like the pitcairn islanders, the viking explorers in greenland and newfoundland, aztecs and easter islanders. as a comparison, they are compared to other ancient civilizations (like the japanese) that managed to transcend the common problems that beset the former.

i'm still stuck on the chapter on the vikings, though.

Rushdie's The Satanic Verses and Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer. The former is hitherto the most amazing book I've ever read - in prose, meaning, everything.

kenterong:

Have you read his other book, "Guns, Germs, and Steel"? Pretty interesting theories on current disparities, and with a Nat Geo series to boot.

jared diamond's collapse.

it's a treatise on the collapse of ancient civilizations like the pitcairn islanders, the viking explorers in greenland and newfoundland, aztecs and easter islanders. as a comparison, they are compared to other ancient civilizations (like the japanese) that managed to transcend the common problems that beset the former.

i'm still stuck on the chapter on the vikings, though.

Unfortunate. But not a deal breaker for me since I download most of my books for free from a Russian site.

• Like 1

Taipan by James Clavell.

Gives a fictional (albeit tied to true historical events and people) story of cut-throat business, romance and violence - set in the 1840's during the founding of Hong Kong.

Clavell was actually a POW in Changi during WWII, but rather than developing a hatred for the region, instead became quite fascinated with east-asian culture.

Shogun is next on the list. Reading Gai-Jin now.

I think I remember a Shogun movie being made.

I cant remember whether shogun was a movie or Taipan was a mini series or were they both mini series. Gaijin is good too. Taipan i think was played by Pirce Brosnan and Shogun Richard Chamberlain.

I just finished reading The Last Narco, about Juan Guzman the Mexicali Cartel. Always like mob/drug movies.

Haven't read it yet but bought 2 books when I was there.The first is Saville Row: The Master Tailors of British Bespoke by James Sherwood and Le Snob: Tailoring by Permanent Style's Simon Crompton.

LeSnobSC.jpg

savile_row_book_cover.jpg

rational%20optimist%20cover.jpeg

The Rational Optimist by Matt Ridley.

Very conversational writing that makes for smooth reading. Read about 15%. It's about human progress through division of labour, cross pollination of ideas, and trade. I've always thought that Singaporeans show you love by selling you something -- this book tells you why that enriches you and the seller.

Worth the time reading and good value at RM50.

I like Singaporean salesmen. I deal with this guy who distributes (sells) capital equipment from Europe. He came in a supercar that had only 5000 km on it -- we know because, once parked, he couldn't start said supercar and a bunch of us mucked around with his car to get it to start. The next time he came -- it must have only been 9 months since we saw him -- he was in a different supercar that he was just familiarizing himself with. I think there are more salesmen per square kilometer in SG than anywhere else on the planet.

Lol. That's how they make you look forward to their sales calls, right? Yes, i believe there are many Singaporeans selling, in ascending order of sales value, either insurance, real estate, simple financial products, complicated financial products.