Sign in to follow this  
Zinzan

Black tie attire

Thanks to the distributor, a new book. VBC's Brilliance, contaning all the morning and evening cloths. The entire book is very, very fine, smooth, luxe. Quite different to their workhorse Perennials.

DSC00967_zps2eadf105.jpg

Of particular interest to me are the mohairs, which I think is what Brilliance is about.

DSC00968_zps82365338.jpg

And here I show you the most drool-worthy cloth of the entire book. A midnight blue dinner jacket mohair. I'm having a display dinner jacket for the shop made in this cloth (as we speak).

DSC00969_zpsc82e0b6e.jpg

Notice the difference between the midnight blue and the black it is resting on?

You getting the satin from around town? Any notable differences in quality, or they're all vaguely similar? Midnight blue satin or black satin?

Specs? SB or DB?

Out of curiosity, are there any places in KL where black tie is de rigueur?

Black tie is not worn in KL. But I have all sorts of people going for tuxes in the land of head hunters. Surprised me.

Yeah, I think I have to find matching satin in a cloth shop in KL. Black satin would provide some contrast to the midnight blue -- I like the idea, we'll see. The sifu has his own stock, but I don't like it. Just yesterday the trousermaker gave me a sample of the trouser satin ribbon, so that I can source it.

It's gonna be peak lapeled, SB.

Yeah, I think I have to find matching satin in a cloth shop in KL. Black satin would provide some contrast to the midnight blue -- I like the idea, we'll see. The sifu has his own stock, but I don't like it. Just yesterday the trousermaker gave me a sample of the trouser satin ribbon, so that I can source it.

It's gonna be peak lapeled, SB.

I don't know about black on midnight. Somehow the dual colours on a somber dinner suit add a little too much bling, and don't seem harmonious enough for an elegant outfit. Maybe if you're in a dark environment, all's good, but if you wear it in the waning hours of the afternoon, the contrast might be too much. But hey, what ever sells the suits. The younger more arriviste Bond has black on his dinner suit, I think.

Cool! So you'll have a waistcoat, or a cummberbund?

daniel_craig_2_2_zpsfeab3e18.jpg

It's a complex offering at a compelling price, so I'm still working out the exact scope. The plan is to advertise too, but we're running out of time.

For some reason I dislike shawl lapels. I don't know why.

I can't stand the stuff Craig wears. Awful.

But the sheen is good. Ralph's too subdued.

• Like 1

I can't stand the stuff Craig wears. Awful.

But the sheen is good. Ralph's too subdued.

Matter of preference. I prefer a very subtle sheen on the coat, but for the facings to have a richer luster like in Ralph's second coat in black, really. Or the opposite way around.

Midnight blue looks funny to me. Black's the way to go.

^ Those peak lapels (that's Alan, right?) look very uninspiring. Boring, insipid, dull. Trousers look bad, and captoes, really?

I want a black-tie ensemble, but I'll never wear it.

You might wear it Zarium -- at least at a wedding. Or if a group of friends decide to have a black-tie night out. Somebody just organizes a black tie party and have dinner somewhere nice in black tie. The reason why I had one made up is in part because I've skipped black tie events because I don't have the appropriate dress and I don't want to go to a ball which states black tie in my suit. In part because my tailor said that it's better to have one lying in your wardrobe than to rush to get one poorly made up when the need calls for it. In part because Firefighter said I should get one.

I prefer a snappier peak lapel like on Ralph's.

In addition, it depends on the midnight you choose. There are those that are more blue for flashy ensembles. My is literally, near black, and what tailors call true midnight blue. Don't forget that midnight might match one's skin tone better than black.

Here's why one shld be careful of a high sheen component. If you don't see the coat in the picture below as a problem, then okay. From a frd --

click2_zpsf153dd1e.jpg

6393902099_fca3ec2808_b_zps6f8d38c1.jpg

You might wear it Zarium -- at least at a wedding. Or if a group of friends decide to have a black-tie night out. Somebody just organizes a black tie party and have dinner somewhere nice in black tie. The reason why I had one made up is in part because I've skipped black tie events because I don't have the appropriate dress and I don't want to go to a ball which states black tie in my suit. In part because my tailor said that it's better to have one lying in your wardrobe than to rush to get one poorly made up when the need calls for it. In part because Firefighter said I should get one.

Unfortunately my camaraderie consists of gentlemen who take donning a t-shirt and shorts with flip-flops sufficient for most intents and purposes. Maybe even above and beyond necessity, if so can be helped.

Maybe when I start saving more lofty-sounding titled-contacts in my phone book.

I just noticed that jacket has the dart extending in one unbroken line. I remember reading something about that sort of construction on the Cutter and Tailor forums.

Of course, it never really registered in my memory because such a topic is too esoteric for my interests.

I really do think essential part of the wardrobe although it doesnt get worn often enough. I dont like going to an event not following a dress code and hate it how ppl around here try to skate around black tie thingy by using a black tie....... Shit Einstein you took it literally.

BDC, you've got every damn thing covered/bespoked why not a black tie.

If i do second one its probably a something what Alan is using a peak lapel and waistcoat maybe this time midnight blue but i like black though.