kotmj

The suiting thread

Just did one of the more memorable hand overs of my career.

It started maybe 4 years ago when I made someone a suit. I subsequently made him quite a number of suits. I normally loose count after the sixth suit or so; he must have about that many from me. Then, I made his father a suit, for his wedding. Then I made him a suit for his ROM. Then a tux for the wedding dinner. When I delivered the tux, I took a suit order from his brother-in-law, for his wedding next year.

His brother-in-law came just now to collect the suit -- with both parents-in-law in tow and wife. They were very appreciative of the 3-piece in VBC Revenge, almost joyful and in high spirits.

His wedding dinner will be later this month and at least three JT suits will be worn to the event: JT on the groom, on the father in law and brother in law.

• Like 1

IMG_20160704_115312_zpshjxnpxha.jpg

Not the most dignified way of taking a picture of a jacket, but whatever. Sultan in Piacenza silk & flax, shirt sleeve shoulders, curved breast pocket, fully canvassed, quarter lined in 100% cupro.

If you told me 5 years ago such a jacket is possible in KL I would have told you only if you did it yourself.

• Like 2

As a business owner, do these things - stories that show people appreciate your art - mean anything other than revenue?

But for a more earnest answer: Most craftspeople do what they do because they find the thing they make to be very cool. Even after making 50,000 pieces of the thing they find it so cool. Whether the customer they are making it for shares their enthusiasm for the product is secondary or even tertiary. These are thing-oriented people, not people-oriented people. The people-oriented people, those who get their sense of satisfaction from delighting others or caring for others are in teaching, entertainment, sales, etc.

• Like 1

So the happiness stops at handing over the item (and collecting the fee due) - what you want to do with it is now not my problem?

But yes, profits, heh.

JT going to the Asian Master Tailors' Congress in Thailand next week?

Liked your report of a similar event you went to years ago and reported on in the forum. 

I'm beginning to realise that the Strobels for pad stitching collars, canvasses and lapels are being sold for scrap metal in Germany. There are several for sale online now, starting from 70 Euros. These were built before WW2. They come mounted on a wooden table with cast iron treadle and knee lifter. None of the sellers specify any form of shipping -- strictly self pickup only, obviously. But I wonder if I can persuade one to send me just the head without the table.

$_12.JPG

• Like 2

Like vintage repro clothing

Tell me about it... every time I wear his suits, instead of "you look like James Bond", I'll get "you look like the guy from Boardwalk Empire", or Ting Lik from Shanghai Bund.

• Like 1