kotmj

The suiting thread

Wait until FB changes their interface again...

Instagram is not so bad, it's just an extension of Facebook ads. It's just 1 checkbox IIRC.

AdWords is so much better, I agree. Plus if you consistently spend on it, Google will offer you free consultation about twice a year.

I had to first get the "Promote" button to appear. This required deleting the fb account it was connected to, and reconnecting to another fb account. Then the Promote button appeared, but it is grayed out---it says "This post can't be used to create a promotion". Of the three posts I have on instagram, only one has a functioning Promote button.

I had to first get the "Promote" button to appear. This required deleting the fb account it was connected to, and reconnecting to another fb account. Then the Promote button appeared, but it is grayed out---it says "This post can't be used to create a promotion". Of the three posts I have on instagram, only one has a functioning Promote button.

Never done an Instagram ad from within Instagram before. I don't have access to the Instagram account, as unlike Facebook, there is no concept of Page Admins.

I link the Instagram account to the Facebook Page, then create an Ad in Facebook. This Ad will run in Instagram (I think now is by default, I can't find the checkbox anymore).

I got a call from a Google affiliate on Friday. It wasn't a usual call from a salesperson, because the caller sounded very young, and because he seems to know quite a bit about what I do. Unusually, he also sounded pretty intelligent. He wanted to know if I'd considered advertising on Google. I told him I advertised for four months but quit because in all four months only one guy walked in because of my Google ad. He then asked me if I had someone run it for me. I said I ran it myself. The conversation then went into the guts of Google advertising: bids, keywords, locations, etc. I was talking to him while driving in a multistory carpark looking for a parking spot. I think we spoke for 5 minutes, during which time I explained to him the way I targeted the audiences and the ridiculously long negative keywords list I had to keep because I was leaking so much money to irrelevant search terms. I was quite impressed by his knowledge of my business, his empathy, and how quickly he understood what I was saying and his relevant responses. Most of the time when I talk to salespeople, I keep thinking how dumb these people are. This is one of the very few exceptions.

How you go about composing a fb post is an art onto itself.

I like to have multiple pictures in a post because it causes people to click on it to see more.

Screenshot_2017-06-01-15-34-40-216_com.f

But with a single picture post, you see the whole picture in all its glory.

Screenshot_2017-06-01-15-36-25-896_com.f

A_Tailor_at_Work_%286920059143%29.jpg

Welsh coatmaker in 1955. What a nice job to have. You see in the foreground his sewing machine; on the wall is a tailor's square and measuring tape. There is also a cast metal iron on the table -- this means the fireplace would have to be kept lit regardsless of weather because it is used to heat up the iron. Humans of this age will find it very difficult to sit cross legged like that for any period of time, but it is in fact a very common sitting posture throughout human evolution.

Why is it that until present day that a coat maker sits this way when working?

Why not more ergonomically like a watchmaker on his bench?

George-Daniels.jpg?mode=crop&center=0.5,

Present day coatmakers sit in chairs.

The only thing I can say to that picture is that his apprentice Roger Smith wears neither a George Daniels nor a Roger Smith. Roger Smith wears... a Rolex Explorer. That's like Richard Anderson wearing a Marks & Spencer, or Elon Musk driving a Toyota.

Out of the blue (as always), I was asked today if I'd like to be a product sponsor for an event at a local university. The event has a peculiar name that doesn't describe anything. A glance at their fb page deepens the mystery. After 5 minutes of scrutiny, it was still not clear to me WTF this clearly long-drawn-out event is about. It seems to run on for months.

After 15 minutes, it became clearer. Each year, the student union of this university organises a complex multistage event that eventually after ridiculous amounts of activity culminates in the crowning of what they deem the most leng chai and the most leng lui freshman of that year.

For instance, in 2015 this guy was deemed most leng chai:

13325465_849589641813748_565495931057598

It is not clear what role my brand can play. Not sure if I should even ask.

• Like 1

Chocolate sauce is very popular amongst glamour photographers...Though in this case, looking at the consistency, it looks to be Nutella.

He went on to model prolifically part-time for all the major brands (coach, Prada, fendi, etc). He stands 6'1".

Interestingly, here's him in 2014.

FB_IMG_1496587910856.jpg?raw=1

The lesson learnt/conclusion drawn from this is that the economy rice students eat is very good for you.

I spoke to the organisers of the university beauty pageant, and unfortunately they are looking at early July delivery of, uhm, seven suits---one for each of the male finalists. I would love, love, love to do this if I had the money to make seven suits. But even if I did, I'd still need more than one month to make them. So, no go.

Meanwhile, I created a new page on my website. Some of the photos were edited in Klang, others in the Ukraine and yet others edited in Hyderabad. There is a fb marketing campaign to start soon to promote this page.

https://www.jeremytok.com/2017-core-basics

Since Saturday when I woke up with a sore throat, my immune system has been fighting off an infection. It may be mosquito-borne, but I don't know for sure. The curious thing is my body is neither winning or losing the battle. There is no full blown fever indicating the body has lost and now requires antibiotics. But neither do I seem to be getting better. There is just this systemic inflammation with the accompanying weakness and lousy mood.

So I spent most of today reading a (physical) book I bought yesterday. It's an extremely honest account of a proprietor of a custom furniture business. There is much in common between that and a tailoring business. Captivating read.

51n7dKp8L8L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Boss-Life-Surviving-Small-Business/dp/0399185291

I get feedback on the new page on my website! Here's what one reader wrote:

------------------

Hope you don't mind me giving some feedback on this.

1) whilst the url may seem trivial, i think core basics sounds like something uniqlo or dockers would brand for a certain range of their products.

I understand semantics can be pretty subjective, my humble opinion is to replace core basics with 1) essentials / quintessential, 2) fundamental.

2) First photo of the guy in blue suit in corridor, wouldn't you want to edit out the crease in trousers on right thigh? Quite unsightly at first glance, even though we both know it's the standing stance.

Same for photo of him going up the staircase.

3) Copy

a) "One more thing" seems pretty cliche here

b ) "Light Grey - Visually lighter"... in my humble opinion, this headline does not add value to the context you are trying to paint in the paragraph below.

Cheers

A couple minutes after writing the above, he had this to add:

----------------------

I wish to also add, I recall one photo from an earlier post where the guy was in the bathtub. I felt the that photo was pretty classy, but ruined by a tiny detail; the plastic hanger.

Just revised the 2017 core basics page. It is clear even to myself that I need some help in copywriting. This is something I can get the apprentice to do. I am simply not asked to do much demanding writing in recent years, and the ability athrophies.

I stopped the fb promotion for that page after seeing that the majority who reacted to the page are simply not the sort who would be customers...ever in their lives. I find the process of making a fb promotion to be time and attention consuming. I'll reconstruct the promotion next week.

https://youtu.be/yYT6YfqrZX0

Bill McDermott, CEO of SAP AG. Or rather, his remarkable suit jacket. It's supremely well done. There are two instances in the talk when you can see the back of the jacket. I personally would have gone with more waist supression, but obviously his (supremely good and probably quite expensive) tailor doesn't agree. He wears sunglasses because he is blind in one eye. He lost that eye in a bizarre accident: He was on vacation alone in a house belonging to his brother. One night, he was alighting the stairs while holding a glass in one hand. He tripped and fell. He landed face down on a shard of broken glass which destroyed one eye.

Just revised the 2017 core basics page. It is clear even to myself that I need some help in copywriting. This is something I can get the apprentice to do. I am simply not asked to do much demanding writing in recent years, and the ability athrophies.

I stopped the fb promotion for that page after seeing that the majority who reacted to the page are simply not the sort who would be customers...ever in their lives. I find the process of making a fb promotion to be time and attention consuming. I'll reconstruct the promotion next week.

Did you get the "PM best price" messages? 

Jajaja. Supposed to be a tailor, not a writer. Anyway I corrected it and while doing so stumbled upon the idea that the stuff has a look that is valid around the world. No "Singaporean" shirts if you know what I mean.

The fb ad which I just started an hour ago has been seen by 37 people. Of those, 5 clicked on the link and was shown the 2017 core basics page.

I would love to delegate/outsource the whole social media promotion work. I was informed they typically charge 30% of your ad spend. However, the probability that I can find someone to do it who is not just a warm body is vanishingly small. They are almost certain to be dumber than me. So, until I get lucky and come across one who can add more value to our social media promotion than me, I will have to bear this burden myself. I hate doing it, BTW. The "work" is not just listing an ad. There are many variables, and how effective your ad is depends entirely on how insightful, smart, and interested you are.

If fb is zigging, how does zagging look like?

There is supposed to be a broader strategy (a.k.a. The Cunning Plan) which I probably shouldn't write about in public. It's pretty clever and certainly more imaginative than anything I've been told to consider over the years. The Cunning Plan could not have been hatched by just another warm body.