kotmj

The suiting thread

Editing patterns is a mechanical task. An intelligent ape can be trained to do it. What is cognitively demanding is the fitting process, when the customer stands before you wearing an ill-fitting baste. You have a few minutes to figure out what needs to happen to make it well-fitting.

You have to do it a certain way. Sovereign and thoughtful. There are many ways to do it wrong, including "poking" with your fingers, or carrying the wrong facial expression, or returning again and again to a particular part of the garment.

The aberrations in the garments are superimposed on each other. Moreover, an aberration in the neck can manifest at the hip area. An aberration in the back shows results on the front of the jacket. Diagnosing fit issues is like reading a mammogram. It is difficult especially for beginners or those not very bright to know WTF is going on.

There are no courses to teach you how to fit. You have to figure it out yourself.

Every third customer is a "full spectrum" customer. That is, he ordered a three piece suit with shirts. So you fit four garments, one after another, and also fit how all four interact with each other.

Another avenue for expansion and diversification is the corporate uniforms business. I mentioned the call by Pfizer. Yesterday, Ford Auto Connection called. Declined them all.

If I venture into this, it will be under a different company. JT will always be the very premium brand and will get more premium over time as it jettisons lower end products while expanding the upper end selection. But it will remain exceptional value.

I don't want to do it the way someone is currently doing it. It has just one brand, let's call it W, then adds a suffix. So W Privato is its premium brand, while W Uniforms is the uniform brand. Unfortunately, from the customer perspective, it's all just W. How do I know? Because a manager in an audit firm told me they all get a W from the firm, and it isn't good, so he will not use W for personal clothes.

The corporate uniforms business is very different from what I'm currently doing in that you can actually hire a sales force and start hassling the HR departments of big companies who are tasked with buying the uniforms. You can't do that in bespoke. So the corporate uniforms business is a more typical b2b business that can be organised conventionally and staffed with people you hire off jobstreet. You can't do this with bespoke because the know how involved is extremely niche and uncommon.

IMG_20170710_160151.jpg?raw=1

Losberg's jacket draft for corpulent figures

IMG_20170710_160049.jpg?raw=1

Described as a "revolutionary" drafting system for trousers. Originally developed by Hufmann, Flingelli has been using this system for decades.

IMG_20170710_160306.jpg?raw=1

Traditional Savile Row trousers by John Coggin

IMG_20170710_171746.jpg?raw=1

I've been trying out the stock Rundschau method for jackets for the past 8 jackets or so. So far, deeply impressed. You're looking above at what is essentially unmodified Rundschau slim fit.

IMG_20170710_171912.jpg?raw=1

• Like 1

I think I have found the secret to having an off day. The way it is done is to "make a determination". You say to yourself, this Tuesday will be an off day. Even if the Sultan of Brunei were to call me wanting to come on Tuesday to "renew his wardrobe", I'll ask if Wednesday would work.

This Wednesday, the publishers of a business mag are coming to the shop to discuss possibilities for cooperation.

After meeting with them, I hope to drop into the office of a wedding portal owner who asked me if I wanted to be in his portal in exchange for compensation. Will this be the key to selling hundreds of fused wedding suits I would otherwise not have sold?

image-1163952-galleryV9-dkhc.jpg

Turkey's finance minister---just from that face you can tell a highly flawed individual---wearing one of the most sophisticated navy I've seen in a while.

Wow, just had the prettiest Malay girl in the shop just now. Never knew they can be so pretty. Another one of those one-in-a-hundred-thousand sort of people. She's from this company that does publishing in the business/entrepreneurship space and organises events and does press coverage in the same space. I've committed to an interview and an ongoing relationship with them which includes invitations to the events they organise. The company has several assets which includes a print magazine, an online magazine, an events organiser, and another one which does "coverage" of events not organised by them.

I have very, very few Malay customers, so I told her I'd like the interview to appear in the Malay language.

The site really does not like using grammatical tenses.

There's also pic of a 'non-fused' baju Melayu.

That got me really confused...didn't know there were fused baju melayus to start with.

Pretty lady just whatsapped me with an invitation to an event in about a week's time. Sheraton Imperial. A minister will be attending. I wonder what I do there? Do I have 200 copies of my brochure printed out to distribute there? It's an awards ceremony for corporate social responsibility.

What do I do physically when I am there? Never been invited to such things before.

Are you a "partner" for the event? Or just attending?

If you are an attendee, just get to know ppl. Get them to talk about themselves, make contacts/ friends. Pat them on the back for all the hardwork they've done, how good that their efforts are being recognised with these awards.

Since its a CSR conference, you should tell them that you are quite proud of your own supply chain:

> 100% visibility of where your product is made. No outsourcing happens to children. You do 100% audits/visits to your production facilities multiple times per year.

>The bulk of the labour you utilise are highly skilled artisans, who are paid well, if not they won't work. Most of them owner/operators. Might be some low level sewing being done by foreign labour, but tightening of regulations have mostly seen this risk decrease substantially.

> Raw materials sourced from fabric mills using traditional production methods across Europe. Minimal impact on the environment.

• Like 1

Is it true that a circumcision is necessary if I have the need to convert to Islam. It sounds like a very painful procedure. What if, shortly after the operation, I were to have an erection. Might scream in pain. Maybe it is possible to have an understanding with the surgeon whereby I pay for the operation without the operation actually taking place.

Are you a "partner" for the event? Or just attending?

If you are an attendee, just get to know ppl. Get them to talk about themselves, make contacts/ friends. Pat them on the back for all the hardwork they've done, how good that their efforts are being recognised with these awards. 

Since its a CSR conference, you should tell them that you are quite proud of your own supply chain:

> 100% visibility of where your product is made. No outsourcing happens to children. You do 100% audits/visits to your production facilities multiple times per year.

>The bulk of the labour you utilise are highly skilled artisans, who are paid well, if not they won't work. Most of them owner/operators. Might be some low level sewing being done by foreign labour, but tightening of regulations have mostly seen this risk decrease substantially.

> Raw materials sourced from fabric mills using traditional production methods across Europe. Minimal impact on the environment. 

I'm just an attendee. Not partner. Never been to a networking event like this. Once upon a time, I wouldn't go to an event like this even if you paid me. Nowadays, I pay to go.

Do I really just mingle? Isn't there more to networking?

It just occurred to me to Google the pretty lady. She has 9927 followers on Instagram.

i think you should share her profile. sharing is caring.

Lookup the minister of Google for his list of accomplishments. Compliment him and congratulate him. Then get him to record a video of himself congratulating you on your business.