kotmj

The suiting thread

I did the totally soporific grey and navy single breasteds last time. With white and pale blue shirts. This time, I'm thinking a tuxedo, a Sultan, a Bendahara and a Laksamana in both single and double breasted configs with striped and checkered shirts.

This is a big budget shoot for JT!

37649811.jpg

I am thinking of lensing the shoot myself, instead of hiring a photographer. Or, I could ask on lowyat for volunteer photo hobbyists to "crowd" shoot it, like the above uncles shooting a bikinied model.

Well, another tailor in KL went the uncer route...

14963354_1120968844688064_20970696013182

And I googled Drake's, to find this. Not only uncer, but also coloured and bearded.

Drakes-London-fw15-9.jpg

Jajaja. Not for me. However, I look forward to an opportunity to shoot an uncer within a father-son or coach-athlete context, a little like what Patek Phillipe does, except Patek uses unrelated models without a real story, whereas I would only do it if the relationship is real.

patek-philippe-advertising.jpg

I can imagine a scenario whereby one of those who have once modelled for JT approach graduation. I make both father and son suits for the graduation, and get a photographer based nearby the uni to do a 1/2 day shoot. The photo will be of a father attending his son's graduation on the university grounds (green lawns and trees) with these ancient university buildings as backdrop. Will be a great campaign.

The Patek poster on the right, always thought the son looked like a potential future murderer. 

Something bout his eyes......

As for the Drake's comercial......you can always get a mamak macha to model for you. Now that would be awesome!

You are light years ahead of everyone here brotha......

Can only afford to eat at the mamak. 

Can't even afford a loft as fly as yours.

But man won't that idea be great......LOL

Actually, I really, really wanted a mamak macha type to model for me. I'm serious. He made a price inquiry via FB, and when I saw his profile, I thought I must get him to model for me. But alas, he did not place an order and I never got to meet him. Sunway medical student, grew up in Perth, one of his parents is white and another Sinhalese I believe (going by the name only)

FB_IMG_1516621835079.jpg?raw=1

I've seen his other pictures on his socials and his looks hold up under multiple angles.

I think I now have the policy of addressing all customers by first name regardless of title. So, when they are seated across from me for the first time, I'll ask them: "So, how do I call you?"

They might say, "Zul".

And that's the name that goes on the invoice and how I'll call him even if it's Dato' Zulkarnain Somethingsomething.

I think I now have the policy of addressing all customers by first name regardless of title. So, when they are seated across from me for the first time, I'll ask them: "So, how do I call you?"

They might say, "Zul".

And that's the name that goes on the invoice and how I'll call him even if it's Dato' Zulkarnain Somethingsomething.

That's more than adequate. If he doesn't like it, tough. Besides, a Malay-style first name does not carry the same level of informality a Mat Salleh-style or Chinese-style first name does.

Only in Malaysia would one be formally addressed as "Tan Sri Prof. Dato' Seri Dr. somethin somethin".

It's such a social faux-pas to correct someone on how they've under-addressed us.

Ohhh. The Germans, too, love their (mostly academic) titles. The Americans are less attached to them. Jack Welch is only infrequently addressed as Dr Welch, but you almost never address Martin Winterkorn as anything other than Herr Doktor Winterkorn.

I don't think I need to reveal the identity of Mystery Model 1. He has put on a lot of muscle since last year, so was in the shop on Sunday for me to remeasure him. I remain a huge fan of him: his intelligence, his physical beauty and his cheerfulness.

Finding Mystery Model 2 took a lot of trawling on IG. He has to be Malay to prevent JT from having the public image of DAP. This made things really difficult, because most Malays look intensely Malay. It turns out you have to look for hybrids, that is, only one parent is Malay. This way, they look plausibly Malay without being intensely Malay.

I present you Mystery Model 2. I have become a great admirer of him. Together with 58k pubescent Malay girls who are his followers on IG.

Screenshot_2018-01-24-01-45-02-993_com.i

Screenshot_2018-01-24-01-40-44-363_com.i

For those who feel inadequate about their bodies, here's something to make things worse.

Screenshot_2018-01-24-01-40-30-086_com.i

DSC00467.jpg?raw=1

IG occasionally serves up random posts by tailors elsewhere, and I'm just amazed by the sort of competition going on in Singapore. All kinds of young, smart, competitive people seem to be in the tailoring business now. Also, they have thousands of followers on IG.

Really got me a bit anxious. How does one become like a Coca Cola, which is practically immune to competition?

I think models like the Sultan and Laksamana are like durians. The durian has an extreme presence; it immediately announces itself through its overwhelming odour. The durian polarizes people; you either love it or you hate it. Likewise, significant deviations from the standard suit cut cause the same reaction from people.

Since bespoke suits are an extremely niche product---a microniche product category---it follows that models like the Sultan and the Laksamana are nanoniche products.