kotmj

The suiting thread

IMG_20180130_033303%20%281%29.jpg?raw=1

One of Crompton's photogs and also one of the people responsible for the enormous output of Pitti attendee pics. I thought all along they were strictly natural light, but you see him using a Profoto B1, a USD2k flash. Which you need the USD300 trigger to trigger. A USD300 umbrella. A Canon 5Diii and a Sigma 50/1.4 Art.

This is serious equipment for serious business. I've never understood how money works in that industry.

I should probably give an update on the human resource situation at JT. The young Malay cutter does NOT want to work for me. I asked his boss, Why? He said it's a combination of a lack of confidence that he will meet my expectations and the fact that he feels very comfortable where he is. Well, that's good for him. It's an enviable position to be in.

Trousermaker B, when I asked him if he has any candidates in mind, told me about a Malay guy he once worked with who would be a good fit. His father owns a tailoring shop. He used to work for his father, but then his father left his mother and lived with another woman, so this guy stopped working for his father. He worked at another tailoring shop. I asked, is he a good person? Trousermaker B said he is a very good person. I had a phone conversation with him just now but it didn't sound very positive. He seems happy where he is. His voice was good: this is the voice of a person with a clear conscience.

Meanwhile, the part timer puts in about 12 hours each weekend. I guess that's equivalent to maybe 10 hours of my own time. It really makes a difference. I just gained 10 additional hours a week. I can feel the difference in my life. Less frazzled.

Meanwhile, there has been a significant diversification in the ways through which people first hear about the existence of JT. I like this development so much that I now ask myself, how do I double the number of channels through which people discover the existence of JT? This is a big development, and solves one of the persistent problems I had, that is, over-reliance on a few channels. In case you're wondering, most tailoring shops rely on just a single channel: the traffic outside the shop. They are very vulnerable. Moreover, JT has over the last few months become very dominant in one of these channels, a very important channel.

https://youtu.be/Aa0ZwzB3X44

I asked the guy who shot the above travel vid whether he would shoot for me in March.

The guy: Hi Jeremy! Oh my didn't see this message earlier! Yes I do shoot commercially! Sounds like an interesting project, what is it about?

Me: Hey, thanks for getting back. It's mostly about taking cool shots of two guys in suits against interesting backdrops (Top Secret Location 1, inside and outside Top Secret Location 2). Most will be slider shots with panning. Jib crane here and there. Some gimbal. I'll likely be shooting the stills myself, so I need someone to do the video. I have some video equipment that will be made available. No sound necessary.

IMG_20180131_221416.jpg?raw=1

Posting this from Coatmaker B's apartment, where I just showed him how to do a Milanese. He's making his first ever on one of your jackets, haha. Joking. He's practicing on a scrap piece of cloth.

Here's a before:

IMG_20180131_222120.jpg?raw=1

Here a during:

IMG_20180131_222205.jpg?raw=1

That's maybe the sixth Milanese I made in my life. I don't really do them: I only make them to show coatmakers how it is done.

Some of you may be asking why didn't I teach this to him earlier, say one year ago when I started working with Coatmaker B.

That's because a Milanese is like lipstick on the pig. The cherry on the cake.

There were far more fundamental issues I had to fix with Coatmaker B. Like debugging his canvas construction. And how he is not supposed to ignore features I drew on the paper patterns. For instance, in a 3-roll-2 jacket, he would ignore the top button and make a 2-button jacket. When I draw a ticket pocket on the pattern, he would completely ignore this. I had to scream at him many times that you do not ignore things I draw on the pattern. Otherwise, I will not pay for the jacket.

And then the rotational orientation of the sleeves. A huge mess with him. I only now am beginning to get through to him that you do not attach the sleeves to your liking but there is a specific orientation you have to follow.

Anyway, once you fix the major issues then you can put the lipstick on the pig.

BTW, I noticed that B&Tailor do not do Milanese on their jackets. I am increasingly confident that's because they do not own their own production facility---they very likely have a different company make their jackets for them.

I think models like the Sultan and Laksamana are like durians. The durian has an extreme presence; it immediately announces itself through its overwhelming odour. The durian polarizes people; you either love it or you hate it. Likewise, significant deviations from the standard suit cut cause the same reaction from people.

Since bespoke suits are an extremely niche product---a microniche product category---it follows that models like the Sultan and the Laksamana are nanoniche products.

I would think it's about how the suit looks on a mannequin vs on a real person. 

visually good.

auditory wise, i felt the music was quite forceful... it was there for the sake of being there. 

not easy to find copyright free music, but maybe something along the lines of the background music of these?

the 2nd link, just by listening one would already form visuals of an old heritage Italy in his/her mind.

the music in your video, I close my eyes and listen to it. first thing came to mind was crappy presentation videos made in local post production houses. 

to summarize, I feel that background music plays an equally important role to the identity to your brand. as much as your slogan.

As to the sound, to give you an idea, I listened to dozens of songs and this was my personal finalist:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DVM0shqv1NTSrfRyMwMQWo9et9sTNGij/view?usp=drivesdk

But I didn't like it enough to even mention it to the editor. I told him to find a sound for me. I must say I very like his selection.

JT is not a romantic, restrospective brand. Neither is it avant garde. It is "today".

Since the JT logo started appearing in the credits of Ruang Bicara, the number of people who manually typed "jeremy tok" into a browser and then clicking on my website went up 2.5X. So there are people watching TV still. Once the commercial airs, this will likely go up even more.

For the video we're shooting in March, I'm thinking of doing a voiceover, like what Anthony Hopkins did here:

https://youtu.be/AntcyqJ6brc

I'm thinking of getting a certain Sean Barrett to provide the voice. When I first heard an audiobook read by Sean Barrett, I loved it so much. I hope he doesn't cost thousands of pounds. Or ignore my email. And I hope he is still alive by then (he's 78).

https://youtu.be/svfDQ14I3NM

https://youtu.be/2c9lWn-83Dc

Last customer of the day was a newly engaged couple looking for a wedding suit. Both are employed in selling airtime on the various TV channels owned by a well known company 5 minutes away from the shop. Clients are primarily FMCG companies. Telcos, too, I suppose.

So I showed them my TVC.

They got even more excited than they already were, and told me the various ways I can be involved in a similar capacity with their company (oh let's just call it MP for expediency).

Waiting here in the shop for Mystery Model 2. While he expressed his desire to be part of the project, he is also very busy with some sort of shoot, event, or catwalk every couple of days. Also he recently landed a role in a drama for Astro. So, while he might want to model for me, he might be unable to follow through.

But, he says he's coming over now.

Stuck here by the roadside waiting for the 24-hour battery service to come with a new car battery.

MM2 actually left school to become a full-time model and actor. Contrary to what that might suggest, I find him very intelligent, but not in the conventional way. He was so jittery the whole time, except when looking into the camera. Maybe he feels somewhat intimidated meeting with me? I wouldn't know. His English is pretty good, yet it's also obvious he doesn't have much opportunity to speak English.

But the primary impression he makes is of a very gentle person.

It turns out we need to pay to use the music. If I'm gonna pay (something like USD200), I will want something more optimal.

Trying to decide between these two:

https://www.premiumbeat.com/royalty-free-tracks/black-marble

https://www.premiumbeat.com/royalty-free-tracks/spring-quartet

I was in a cinema (The Darkest Hour) and had to sit through 20 minutes of Malaysian commercials before the movie started. They are so bad. I feel better about mine now.

That's it. Final cut.

Can't believe I managed to produce a TVC. When the producer at Bernama months ago asked if I could produce one for the slot he's granting me, I said, of course, no problem, do it every day.

The editor is what made it watchable. I gave him dog turd footage and he baked a shepherd's pie out of it. Even smells like the real thing.