kotmj

The suiting thread

IMG_20180407_195408.jpg?raw=1

Had a sewing machine mechanic come in today to swap out the clutch motor for a servo motor. There is nothing worse than a clutch motor.

I have so many nightmares from clutch motors. Might detail them in my memoirs.

Just got off the phone with a warm body. These are one of these sub RM2k/month warm bodies with which most companies are staffed. Borderline mentally retarded.

It was the sales department of Coats Thread in Melaka. I called to enquire about availability of three of their products, the Epic Supermax about which I'm most keen, but also Gramax and Gral.

http://www.coatsindustrial.com/en/information-hub/apparel-expertise/fine-tailoring

But the retarded person in the sales department didn't really speak English, didn't know how to take a business call, and has never heard of the products in questions. I told her she's an idiot. I would never have hired a dumbo like this and if one of my HOD hired her, I'll fire both her and the HOD.

I then made another call, and opted for operator assistance. Someone who may or may not be the operator picked up, spoke wonderful English, but said the phone doesn't allow him to forward calls. The call pretty much ended there.

Coats HQ need to fire everyone in Melaka and rehire.

IMG_20180412_182829.jpg?raw=1

My bruised thumb.

A customer last week put on his trousers, only to find them 2" too short. He looked at me in incredulity.

I get looked at in incredulity every now and then. 80% of the time, it's a fuckup by the sewing tailor. There is no such thing as a smart sewing tailor. They are mostly borderline mentally retarded. This is true of coatmakers and even more true of trousermakers. A retarded person always seem to find the wrong way to do things. When confronted with a choice of A or B, where A is right and B not, they would pick B. Nearly always.

There was not enough inlay to alter the trousers, so I rebought the cloth, extended the paper pattern by 2", and released it for production.

When the replacement trousers were ready, and one hour before the customer's appointment, I checked the length of the trousers. I could not believe my eyes. It's still 2" short.

When with the retarded idiot, I kept banging on the table with both hands, which resulted in the bruise.

• Haha 1

Faaaaarrrrr weirder things happen with regularity. Something about Einstein's remark about the infiniteness of stupidity.

That's why I would rather not hire, than hire warm bodies.

I think the medical profession has discovered early that doctors need to be very cognitively gifted. When normal people become doctors, patients are misdiagnosed, they are poisoned by the medication due to wrong dose, the wrong organs are operated upon, and patients wake up halfway through an operation.

When I had an apprentice, the number of mistakes he made was mind boggling. So I kept directing his attention to these, but they kept being repeated.

That's when I realized normal people should not become cutters. I then required very high IQ if you wanted to work at JT. So far so good.

This episode reminded me of an encounter with the Subang coatmaker (I've since stopped using him). The guy is just comically dumb. He would argue passionately with me about all sorts of stuff. The passion is the passion of an idiot, and is entirely on his side. Me, I look at him, and I thought how lucky I am not to be born like that. My karma isn't that bad after all.

Once I said he has to take apart the sleeves on the baste before the refitting, because I've slimmed down the paper patterns for the sleeve. Do not remount the sleeves without modification, I told him. Ideally, I should not have to say this. As a matter of course, he should unpick everything and press flat and rechalk.

He says the sleeve patterns were unmodified. I said I modified the pattern myself. No way, he said. He then sort of tried to prove his point by measuring and such. I just don't know WTF is wrong with him. I modified the patterns just that morning. I know what I did.

Then he said the unbelievable. He said, if the pattern is in fact modified, he wll change his surname. He was all worked up by then.

Of course, we found out that I was right. He then became silent, plopped himself on his sofa, and stared vacantly at the TV.

I thought, if reincarnation is real, I would do anything not to be reborn like that.

This episode reminded me of an encounter with the Subang coatmaker (I've since stopped using him). The guy is just comically dumb. He would argue passionately with me about all sorts of stuff. The passion is the passion of an idiot, and is entirely on his side. Me, I look at him, and I thought how lucky I am not to be born like that. My karma isn't that bad after all.

Once I said he has to take apart the sleeves on the baste before the refitting, because I've slimmed down the paper patterns for the sleeve. Do not remount the sleeves without modification, I told him. Ideally, I should not have to say this. As a matter of course, he should unpick everything and press flat and rechalk.

He says the sleeve patterns were unmodified. I said I modified the pattern myself. No way, he said. He then sort of tried to prove his point by measuring and such. I just don't know WTF is wrong with him. I modified the patterns just that morning. I know what I did.

The he said the unbelievable. He said, if the pattern is in fact modified, he wll change his surname. He was all worked up by then.

Of course, we found out that I was right. He then became silent, plopped himself on his sofa, and stared vacantly at the TV.

I thought, if reincarnation is real, I would do anything not to be reborn like that.

His wife is similarly broken. For both of them, life is this monumental struggle for survival surrounded by enemies waiting to ambush you.

His only son is this angel who decided to come into this family to help them both reach a higher level of evolution. I admire him for his courage and selflessness.

IMG_20180414_134725.jpg?raw=1

Peacoat. Been thinking how to make it really cool, as opposed to yet another peacoat.

IMG_20180414_185901.jpg?raw=1

After some thought, I displaced the front dart towards center front. That way, when buttoned, the dart is not visible. Also added a cool hand warmer.

Was asked if I'd like to be interviewed by a certain Chinese language women's fashion/lifestyle magazine. Why not.

Oh. This is the same publishing group that publishes Marie Claire, Cosmopolitan and Harper's Bazaar within Malaysia.

I was having lunch with Part Timer B, when I learnt that one of his housemates would occasionally do Uber Eats to make some pocket money. The guy studies economics at UM and was once president of the "student party" as he calls it, an organisation that champions student rights.

I thought there was no worse way to make a pittance than going around KL on a motorbike delivering individual portions of food. I said he should become my part time dispatch rider.

IMG_20180415_123743.jpg?raw=1

This morning, I sewed this back pocket, mostly to show Part Timer A that it's not that intimidating. It's far from perfect---its just a demo from someone who almost never sews.

I did the very bespoke ultra fine welts, and the similarly very bespoke curved welts which are more difficult. You almost never see such narrow-lipped, curved back pockets except on high end bespoke. Not even Ambrosi is like this.

Told her to practice at home and show me results next week.

IMG_20180415_171755.jpg?raw=1

Made another practice back pocket

IMG_20180415_171811.jpg?raw=1

Pocket bag. The grey strip is the pocket facing; I put it in the wrong way.

IMG_20180415_171832.jpg?raw=1

Received an internship application from an Inti Subang Fashion Design diploma student. Duration is to be 5 months. I googled this programme, and learn it is for two years, during which students learn basically nothing. Sorry, I looked at the syllabus, and I do not see why such a ludicrous thing is worth doing. It's what you teach yourself by googling and youtubing. It also happens to cost the student RM45k. Since the internship alone is a quarter of the duration of the programme, shouldn't they pay something like rm10k to me if I accept them as an intern? The "highlights" include "students are exposed to real life projects, fashion shows, enriching field trips to showrooms and rigorous internships to ensure industry-readiness." I'm even supposed to provide a rigorous internship. I don't think they actually mean it. I think it means I'm supposed to be doting and nice. When I'm actually rigorous, they might be scarred for life and never want to do fashion design.

https://newinti.edu.my/programme/diploma-in-fashion-design/

If I were a parent, it would never in a million years occur to me to send my kid to a crap course like this.