kotmj

The suiting thread

There’s a grammatical mistake in the second paragraph too. 

2 hours ago, NoName said:

It appeared in my fb feed. Spotted typo/grammatical error in first sentence of first para. 

At least she didn't say "decenter".

Last night, while on fb, I was served a notification by fb informing me about the possibility to do a job listing in fb. I thought, only NOW does fb go into job listings? Why didn't they do it earlier? LinkedIn, you are dead, ahaha.

So I listed a part-time job for a tailor's assistant. It was super easy. No hoops to jump through, no hurdles to surmount. It was the easiest job listing I have done.

Since listing, I've received several applications PER HOUR. Now, unlike other job sites, none of the applicants actually had a resume to submit. I guess nobody thought of making one on fb. So what I get is their profiles.

It turns out none of them have much in their profiles. A couple of reposts. A few pictures of themselves. None of them write much of anything. I'm beginning to think I'm abnormal since I write so much.

Since all I have are their pictures, I took to gazing at their faces. I must have mentioned earlier that I have this ability to get a feeling for a person's emotional composition when they sit across from me. In other words, I can feel what sort of lives they live within themselves. I oftentimes do not want to know, because most people lead uncomfortable lives.

So I gazed at the pictures of these applicants. For quite a number of them, even without gazing all too much, I saw the faces of extremely compromised people. Quite a number could murder, if the circumstances are right. Thieves, robbers aplenty. Incredible vanity in more than a few.

What prompted this post was an application from a Pakistani who, when I looked at his picture, looked kind. One out of many dozens. I'm so surprised at how dangerous it can be when you are hiring from the bottom. Previously, I circumvented this problem by hiring from amongst UM students, which have all undergone many layers of selection before they could become UM students. I wonder how F&B outlets go about hiring. The applicants are all so... human (in a bad way).

FB_IMG_1530206414630.jpg?raw=1

FB_IMG_1530206394454.jpg?raw=1

You know, I never thought I'd say this, but I think we are in a recession in Malaysia. Business fell off a cliff right after the elections.

I wasn't quite sure if it's just my business or the broader market. So I asked the H&S rep when she was here. She said the market is dead. But she's just a little woman distributing very high end cloth. So when the scions of a conglomerate worth billions of US dollars were in the shop the other day, I asked them if we are in a recession. One of them said, we are NOT in a recession.

Today, I was visited by the salesman for Huberross. He came all the way from Singapore. He asked me, how's business? I said, I'm not sure if you know, but we had an election early May...

"And the market stopped," he said. I thought, stopped is a good word to describe the situation.

Just now, I looked at Google Analytics to see how people are discovering JT. Holy crap, organic searches are way, way down, referrals are way down.

We must be in a recession now.

Reorganisation is probably a better word. 

Luckily you have an international client base. 

14 hours ago, kotmj said:

She needs to be tied up and spanked!

Cant tell if this is punishment or a reward. 

Fred-Astaire.jpg

Believe it or not, I had to contact three illustrators, presenting them the picture above to be converted into a logo, before I received a first draft. I had high hopes for the draft, but it was not suitable.

IMG_20180705_225215_424.jpg?raw=1

I'm thinking the process will be more protracted and painful than expected. Here are my notes to the artist:

Hi Navi: I think you should think more in terms of continuous brushstrokes. I feel the hands should not be dark or as literal. Just a single poetic stroke to suggest/hint at the existence of hands. A little like Johnny Walkers right hand. Abstracted hands, not literal.

Same with the clothes. I wonder if we can make a logo with less ink. That is, more white spaces, less dark spaces. Use ink to suggest at forms, without filling in those forms with ink.

When depicting creases/wrinkling in the clothes, make those forms be poetic, i.e. larger, more intrinsically beautiful forms even though they are just wrinkles.

It took me quite a while to find this artist, after the other two simply did not deliver.

She specializes in abstract black-and-white forms. That's her art: intricate black and white patterns. I thought, this girl is perfect for a black-and-white logo.

But as you can see, not easy. 

IMG_20180709_212955.jpg?raw=1

Collected this from the coatmaker late last night. The coolest peacoat made in Malaysia in the last couple of years. Don't you think?

Wait, what do I hear back there? Not feeling it? Not doing it for you? Jajaja.

DSC01667.jpg?raw=1

A more literal pic of the back. I've come to like peacoats now, seeing how this turned out. It has the effect of the previously discussed rockstar leather jacket, except, it is business-appropriate. It makes you look unfuckwithable.

Turns out the recession is just a blip. Like a full bladder, there's only so long you can hold it back. Unlike a prolonged recession that is brought about by a decline in asset values (stocks, real estate, currency), the one JT has just experienced was due to uncertainty, and the revelation of the 1 trillion national debt. There was no destruction of asset values.

An avalanche of demand has descended upon JT.