kotmj

The suiting thread

So he was wearing a two-tone Datejust with Roman numerals on a jubilee bracelet. Fluted bezel. It is super bling and unmistakably Rolex. I mean, your eyes just keep wandering to the watch.

I said, ah, a two-tone Datejust. He said it was a gift. His father-in-law says, a Rolex must always have gold. I thought this is an interesting perspective.

DSC03571.jpg?raw=1

Second semester interior design students from Inti with their lecturer. They were here to learn more about Workspaces for Artisans. Earlier in the day, they visited a jeweller's workshop.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kenterong said:

Ah, youth. 

They were more tolerable than expected. To conclude their visit, I asked them what they felt could be improved in the interior design of my studio. One of them felt that the area which receives the customer---the Muji oak table---has insufficient pomp and circumstance. It felt too proletariat to him. 

3259201_orig.jpg

(He was expecting something more like this.) 

indian-marriage-traditions.jpg

(Or like this) 

A student asked me: Where's your resting place? I said my hours in the shop are like a sprint, not a marathon. I get in when I need to, quickly get my tasks done, and get out. I don't spend long hours in the shop. 

Anyway, huge developments today. Ground-moving. Literally. 

IMG_20190907_154930.jpg?raw=1

I was at this place just now and was amazed that these retail units

1. are in the open air, but not facing a busy road with all the feeling of unsettled-ness and the air pollution that comes with that

2. have sun decks! I can imagine stringing a hammock between my two frangipanis on the sun deck. The sun deck is accessed via a spiral stair from the interior of the unit, as you see below. 

IMG_20190907_163352.jpg?raw=1

3. have light from two sides. This is the most light-filled retail unit I have seen. But because of the squarish layout, there is a darkish core. 

4. are quite large. This is important if you don't just sell, but also manufacture on-premise. 

5. are across the road from my current location.

About 80% of the units here are unoccupied. But they were previously occupied. This means that most of the units have been renovated. Which means the floor has been tiled. Many even have air cons. One of these vacant units once used to be an F&B outlet, so it has a covered sun deck with ceiling fans installed. This saves me money. 

IMG_20190907_163903.jpg?raw=1

Those units without a sun deck have balconies. I much prefer those with sun decks. 

It looks like I will be hiring another employee, the one I mentioned I interviewed. I offered to train him to become a coatmaker. 

I: Hey WS, do you know what coatmakers do? Is that something you'd like to become?

WS: Hi Mr. Jeremy, in my context, a coatmaker is one who makes, repairs a jacket or coat. One that requires a certain savoir-faire expertise to create a perfect pattern to fit a clients measurement.

I’ve always picture myself working under atelier tailleur (tailored section) of a haute couture house. As for now, I’ve like to expand the possibilities as well set my skills to perfect the art of tailoring.

DSC00908.jpg?raw=1

Fused jacket for Julian. It looks better than it really is.

DSC00907.jpg?raw=1

We don't normally do such hand finishing on fused jackets. This is an exception.

• Like 1

IMG_20190908_151524.jpg?raw=1

This gives you an idea of the sun deck. The glass cube is what covers the spiral staircase. Notice that the neighbouring unit has a tiled roof instead of a sun deck. Two other units have covered sun decks. 

You will also notice the skylight roof towards the left of the picture. The windows in the unit not only are full length, there is even a skylight. The architect really was gunning for maximum daylight. 

IMG_20190908_153430.jpg?raw=1

The most promising unit of the lot. It has a partially covered sundeck, skylight, and wonderful views of foliage and a verdant hill. It used to be a vape shop. 

IMG_20190908_152105.jpg?raw=1

The reason the interior of the unit is not brighter is because all the glass windows including skylight have been dark tinted! Naturally I will remove the tinting should I move in. 

There is only one problem with this new place: there is negligible footfall. Which means that moving in here will not increase revenues. 

I went to this place again today to better understand the place. Whereupon I realised that two of these retail units will actually increase revenue. Just two out of the several dozen units have a clear road frontage. Which means if you drive past on the road below, you will see a big window display. The other units have a front facing the road, too, but they are obscured by trees. Only two units have no trees obscuring their windows. One is occupied. One is not. 

The one that is unoccupied is owned by a mega loan shark based in Johor. He's like a loan shark syndicator. He's a datuk. He will have one of his guys call me tomorrow. 

• Like 1

This guy starts work at JT on the 17th.

IMG_20190911_004056.jpg?raw=1

I notice he's popular with the ladies. He's 21.

IMG_20190911_003757.jpg?raw=1

Ever the chronic overachiever, it took me only 8 years before I hired my first full time employee. Why u laughing? But I may have redeemed myself by taking only 4.5 months to go from one FTE to two FTEs. 

IMG_20190912_020542_753.jpg?raw=1

Sebastian Ng, editor of "M for Malaysia" in a linen jacket and wool trousers by JT during the premiere yesterday. The jacket is fused, due to budgetary reasons. 

IMG_20190912_020542_751.jpg?raw=1

I watched the movie. What a movie! The way the movie was made is the antithesis to everything Najib and BN. It is so real, so authentic, so unvarnished. It showed people at their most vulnerable, staring at the caprice of the almighty BN government. That's why it's so emotive. Everything you see is real. 

Only those who know themselves to be on the right side of history can be this transparent.

• Like 1

https://www.thestar.com.my/metro/central-region/2019/09/15/animal-rescue-groups-badly-hit-by-economic-downturn

What an interesting article. What Christine Lai doesn't know is that the contraction doesn't last very long---maybe 3 months. People are just scared, so they stop most forms of non-essential spending. But after a few months, unless there are new reasons for fear, they return to their normal spending habits.

The downturn this animal shelter experienced is 100% what I have observed in my business. But demand has revived since about two weeks ago, and is stronger than ever.