kotmj

The suiting thread

Yeah. The competition was very credible. Some very beautiful buttonholes were made in Ipoh today. 

Tomorrow, we have the static competition (jackets on mannequins) and the live model fitting competition. 

A gala dinner in the evening. Then, the day after, some will participate in a suit walk through Ipoh town. I won't be participating in that. 

Such national tailoring conventions are held once every two years. Each time, its a different town.

Then there is the Asian tailoring convention, also once every two years. The previous Asian tailoring convention was in Taipei. The next one will be held next year. The city? Kuala Lumpur. 

5 hours ago, kotmj said:

We're all in Ipoh today. As I type this, the Golden Finger competition is underway. The last two contestants in the clip above is Employee #1 & #2 respectively. 

Where were the competing tailors from?

DSC03660.jpg?raw=1

Here, someone employed a questionable construction method. He fused the front edge of the jacket. It's like a chef at a fine dining joint using MSG. 

It's well intentioned, but people can see what you've done. 

IMG_20191103_113230.jpg?raw=1

Sunning myself by the hotel swimming pool. A large portion of the population is Vitamin D deficient due to lack of skin exposure to noon-time sunlight.

• Like 1

Father and son duo. The mother is out of the frame. When I was apprenticing with the sifu years ago, the young guy on the right was also apprenticing, but he started 6 months before me. I would often ask him how to do certain things because sometimes the sifu is busy. Today, he works as a coatmaker at a workshop that accepts orders from any tailor.

IMG_20191103_162603.jpg?raw=1

I've owned this suit a couple of years, but have never pressed it. Was drenched at least once in the rain. Still didn't press it after it dried. Bigger priorities in life. It looks sort of OK in person, it's just the strong side light that brings out all the surface irregularities. 

Going to the gala dinner. I was told we won something. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kotmj said:

IMG_20191103_162603.jpg?raw=1

I've owned this suit a couple of years, but have never pressed it. Was drenched at least once in the rain. Still didn't press it after it dried. Bigger priorities in life. It looks sort of OK in person, it's just the strong side light that brings out all the surface irregularities. 

Going to the gala dinner. I was told we won something. 

Surface irregularities is sprez. Like gazman

In the lift, coming up to my room, was the President of the Hong Kong Tailor's Association and his wife. Earlier in the day, I was also in the lift with him, and he entertained me with his amusing and charming way of interacting with strangers like myself. He was in a t-shirt, shorts and sandals. He's young and funny, maybe early forties. 

Now, he was in a tux. Speaking Cantonese to them, I asked how long they'll be staying in Ipoh. Oh, we're leaving tomorrow. For Genting. Then, we go to KL and fly off. I told them I'm in Genting all the time. Live nearby, I said. 

IMG_20191103_152736.jpg?raw=1

This is the first prize jacket. It won because of its incredible construction. Stylistically, it is a difficult sell today. 

I am 80% certain it was not made in Malaysia, though it was submitted by a Malaysian tailor. Maybe made in Taiwan.