kotmj

The suiting thread

My primary coatmaker's father died. He's out of commission for a couple of weeks. He was crying in front of me just now, about how he didn't manage to get back in time before he died. 

Of all the coatmakers I've worked with, he's the best. He has a high output, something like two jackets a week, compared to the one jacket a week that others manage. The communication with him is superb: he's always scolding me via voice record on WhatsApp. If he sees something slightly off, or a lapse, he will enthusiastically be berating me. He does it even at 1am. He has criticised me for my choice of sleeve lining (he says its too thick, which causes the sleeve not to fall smoothly), he will hurry me to complete the pattern editing, and has criticised repeatedly in many aspects. I mostly agree with him and do something about it. 

His fit and finish is curiously good. I wonder why the others aren't more like him. Nowadays, most of my jackets are made by him. When I've stuffed him with too many jackets, or its a lower priced suit, or CMT, I give that to my other coatmaker.

s-l400.jpg

A Hashima iron. I saw this iron in the Pakistani technician's apartment, and was amazed by the feel and the appearance. It oozed quality. But, he told me, the heating element is shot. He plans to refurbish it by transplanting the heating element from a donor iron. I asked how much he plans to sell it for after refurbishment. RM200, he said. I told him I'm buying it. I gave him one of my Panasonic 2kg irons as a donor. 

I had a job interview today with a recent graduate in Civil Engineering who won the equivalent of the Dean's Award,with a cpga of 3.92. Straight A's in SPM etc. Between SPM and uni, she spent 9 months at Louis Vuitton The Gardens. 

She was deciding between another four years at school for a PhD, or doing something she really likes. For some reason, she thinks JT is extremely relevant to her. She asked for an internship. 

(BTW, once upon a time, I told a customer that I had a job interview yesterday. He said, but why? I thought you're doing what you love? I then told him I interviewed a potential hire.)

After some prodding, I discover she has a problem with what she calls "office life". What's so bad about office life, I asked. She said it's not appealing to go to an office before the sun has properly risen, and to leave it only after it has set. I'm not sure how long I can do that for, she said. 

I didn't say much about that. At JT, we do not lose the connection with the sun. Our workspace is flooded with daylight.

• Like 1

The CEO of one of the Mercedes dealership chains was in the shop today. The wife was very unimpressed with everything. She rolled her eyes at everything. How curious.

The husband wanted shirts. One shirt. I said it has to be at least three. I showed a bolt of fabric. The wife gave an expression which suggested it was insultingly bad cloth. I then showed another bolt---this time, it is a very high quality crisp Italian poplin. Same facial expression from the wife. 

I thought, fuck it. I brought out the Alumo. Same facial expression from wife. I brought out the Soktas. She knows Soktas, and perused the book briefly. She wants to leave. 

They left, the husband apologetically. 

Ridiculous. 

She's very pretty, yes. Mother of two. 

The husband is definitely CEO material. CEOs are like models; not physically, but temperamentally. They are instantly likable, and appear genuine and completely trustworthy (whether they actually are is a different matter). 

17 hours ago, kotmj said:

The CEO of one of the Mercedes dealership chains was in the shop today. The wife was very unimpressed with everything. She rolled her eyes at everything. How curious.

The husband wanted shirts. One shirt. I said it has to be at least three. I showed a bolt of fabric. The wife gave an expression which suggested it was insultingly bad cloth. I then showed another bolt---this time, it is a very high quality crisp Italian poplin. Same facial expression from the wife. 

I thought, fuck it. I brought out the Alumo. Same facial expression from wife. I brought out the Soktas. She knows Soktas, and perused the book briefly. She wants to leave. 

They left, the husband apologetically. 

Ridiculous. 

His mistake was bringing his wife along to the tailors'.  

Perhaps they were having a squabble before this appointment, and this is her way of screwing it up for the husband.
And you, dear JM, are just the tool. Lol