kotmj

The suiting thread

We're in one of the worst recessions in recent memory. Yet, in the last 7 days, I sold 5 suits. For the next week, I have multiple appointments for more suits. The demand is unexpectedly robust.

IMG_20200630_130134.jpg?raw=1

I checked out a new potential place for JT today. It's at 10 Boulevard PJ. I'm pretty sure most of you have passed by this place countless times. It's along the Sprint highway, adjacent to Damansara Uptown. It's opposite the police station at Uptown, the one where I made my substantial contribution to the police on behalf of my employee's father. 

It has a much more upmarket feel compared to the Parklane Commercial Hub. The floor plans of the units are nearly identical. The common areas have pretty good landscaping. A unit here would cost some RM1300 more per month than Parklane. 

That's RM1300 per month to buy this thing called "image". What if, instead, I used this money to purchase human hours, and used these human hours to increase the labour content of our products? 

IMG_20200630_125008.jpg?raw=1

Above is a very typical shoplot interior. Real estate people call it an "intermediate" unit. An intermediate unit has light at both of its short ends, but none along its side. 

I want to have nothing to do with such an interior. It is necessary to find a corner unit. 

IMG_20200630_125901.jpg?raw=1

These corner units have windows along their long sides. Moreover, there is wrap-around glazing along one of the short ends. The effect on the interior is substantial. 

DSC04126.jpg?raw=1

Introducing the Jeremy Tok Court-Dweller. Its admirable silhouette makes winning more gratifying and losing more stylish. Its intrinsic quality makes tedious court sessions more bearable. Also making this lawyer a bar jacket. 

We're also making another Court-Dweller for a bona fide DPP. 

IMG_20200702_180037.jpg?raw=1

Largely without exception, tailoring is done very poorly in Malaysia. This mostly has to do with its practitioners: they're the dumbest, lowest IQ people I've encountered in my life. Almost on the level of toll workers.

It is not possible to run a tailoring operation alone. Not in the way you can be a lone music composer or graphic designer or author of novels. So even if you are very smart, since tailoring is labour intensive, you have no choice but to have large portions of the value creation be done by other people. These people are extremely dumb. They are even illiterate.

One part that is executed so poorly (that it almost makes me cry) by almost every one is the sleeve head. More precisely the wadding, which is the structure underneath the sleeve head. I've encountered such disasters in this area. Maybe even delivered a couple, but let's not go into that. 

Now, I'm turning my attention to this. Above is the most sophisticated sleeve head wadding I've seen described. It's so cool. It comprises 5 parts. Many Malaysian tailors do a single part wadding. The most complex wadding I've seen a tailor do in Malaysia is 3 parts. 

Since I'm supposed to be getting serious about this, I went and sourced a critical ingredient: 100% wool wadding.

IMG_20200702_210141.jpg?raw=1

IMG_20200704_135522.jpg?raw=1

Today, I drove to an antiques shop in Shah Alam to buy this boiler steam iron made by Osaka Denki Kogyo, one of about three such manufacturers in Japan, the other two being Naomoto and Hashima. It is almost new, with some sticker glue mess on the handle that should clean up easily. I paid RM150. 

This model isn't meant for tailors. It's a laundry iron.