6954 replies to this topic

#6941 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:02 PM

One way to gather more information about the behavior of the jacket is to unbutton it. Does the lapel still gape? How are the stripes/checks oriented when the fronts are unbuttoned? Etc.

#6942 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:26 PM

I got invited this morning by email to a most unlikely event. I was still lying in bed, unwilling to get up when the email came in. I had to make sure I was really awake, that it wasn't a dream because the title was surreal.

I was told that the organizer, someone who approached me earlier in the year to be featured on his wedding portal, is inviting me to a coaching session titled "Dynamics Of Collaboration Amongst Competition".

Isn't collaborating with the competition akin to negotiating with terrorists who had just taken a big group of hostages? I thought the competition was put by God on Earth so you get to kill them. Like deer for a hunter.

Has Malaysian businesspeople now become as gentrified as the SGporeans? Where even the triads are polite and will issue receipt when you pay protection money.

It's to take place in a hotel. I don't think I'm attending. I need all the leisure time I can find because I have so little of it.

#6943 Cyborg

Cyborg

Nanotimer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:43 PM

Maybe they are approaching the topic from the POV that competitors are unconsciously helping each other out by their individual promotional efforts? In their drive to expand their individual market share, each competitor is in fact helping the pie to grow bigger for everyone?

#6944 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:58 AM

Textbook concepts don't always manifest in real life. Like, when you see a mosquito, you have to kill it because they spread diseases and are a nuisance. Likewise with competition. Besides, I am not interested in growing the pie for the mutual benefit of everyone. I want a monopoly. It's for the sake of customers! With a monopoly, I would have the scale of adequately serve customers.

Besides! On which side would you err? A vibrant and multitudinous competition, or a dead competition?

The last two days have been unusually restful. Did little on Tuesday except send off some parcels and see a lady customer. I really didn't have the energy to do both, but had no choice. Yesterday, I did nothing. Vegitated at home. Felt so good to be doing nothing.

But today, sigh, had to do some heavy lifting. Having a display jacket made for the Intermark fair. It will be a Laksamana.
DSC05510.jpg?raw=1

#6945 kasparov96

kasparov96

Nanotimer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:48 AM

When will this Intermark fair be held? 

#6946 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:19 PM

DSC05539.jpg?raw=1

More heavy lifting today...

DSC05547.jpg?raw=1

All four H&S Swan Hill Super 160's + 5% cashmere

#6947 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:43 PM

Today and tomorrow, there is a tailoring association convention/competition in KL. This is for Malaysian tailors---there are regularly-scheduled conventions for Asian tailors, and I think also for tailors the world over. Last week, I was given the registration forms to fill out so I could attend---but I told the person who gave them to me I don't think I will go because I am exhausted. So yeah, I'm not going. I'm trying to restrict my activities to the bare minimum. I've been doing too many things over too many years. I think, over the last six years, I've compressed 12 years worth of work into it.

This morning, the cloth distributor asked me if I would be there. I said I won't. Gave him the reason. I can see he couldn't believe/understand.

Also, I've been trying to retard the number of suits sold especially to new customers. For instance, the lady customer I saw a few days ago: I need a "plus size" lady customer as bad as I need a hole in my head. So I sort of overlooked her email. Which did not deter her, because she whatsapped me. I overlooked that too, but my conscience got the better of me because I know plus sized females have it a bit harder than others. So a couple days later, in a moment of misguided magnanimity, I replied, signalling a readiness to engage. Boom! she was in the shop. Can't even say no.

And this Tuesday somebody will be in the shop, and on Friday another guy will be in the shop, and on Saturday another guy. That's like one suit every 1.5 weekdays. I have to retard the rate at which I sell the stuff.

#6948 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:31 PM

Annnnddd... another guy just called, wanting to come today for a suit. It's gone completely out of control, the demand.

#6949 carbman

carbman

Megatimer

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • LocationPJ

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:15 PM

you sound burnt out. I see it all the time in my line of work.

#6950 zjchen

zjchen

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:03 AM

i hope your approach doesnt apply to existing customers...

need to make some more orders for suits....

#6951 Petepan

Petepan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted Yesterday, 01:40 PM

Up your prices la

#6952 zjchen

zjchen

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted Today, 12:30 PM

petepan - dont give him ideas la.

#6953 kasparov96

kasparov96

Nanotimer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted Today, 12:53 PM

Increasing the price is not going to make it any better for him. Why should he deter prospective customers? Should be enough by retarding further new orders from time to time. 

#6954 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted Today, 02:11 PM

Sold two suits this morning. Tomorrow, a BCG guy from SG is coming for two, potentially three suits. Based on existing appointments, I expect to sell one on Thursday and two on Friday. But, you know, calls are coming in everyday.

Maybe it's time to hire an assistant after all. But they are all so dumb. Just warm bodies who want a job. Anyone I hire should ideally be smarter than me. Maybe I should print out some IQ tests which I sit for, and potential job applicants must also sit for. They will only be considered if they score higher than me. (The bar isn't that high. I'm not THAT smart.)

#6955 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted Today, 04:41 PM

IMG_9498.jpg?raw=1

Not everyday that I make a DB...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users