7116 replies to this topic

#7041 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,690 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:29 PM

The movie guy is asking for shots of the shop, of a needle being threaded, of tools/implements being used. Basically he's like the director now, and I'm the cameraman. Which is how it should have been from the beginning.

I think the primary failure of the video so far is that very few shots are pretty to look at. I put too much attention on the narrative. It turns out for a promo video/commercial to work, above all each shot needs to be emotive. Then comes the narrative, if any.

So basically we are moving away from plot-centricity towards shot aesthetic-centricity. Let each shot be beautiful to look at, then put a jumble of them together like a slideshow, except unlike a slideshow, each shot is a video.

#7042 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,690 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:17 PM

Got the director two shots of the shop
https://youtu.be/6HpFcde4Hnw

#7043 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,690 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:54 PM

The TV host, Sherkawi, had this WhatsApped to me through the producer:

Salam. Bagi tau Jeremy. Semalam saya pakai suit yng dia sponsor for recording. Wow, suprisingly the guest commented that ianya sangat cantik.

#7044 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,690 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:06 PM

https://youtu.be/1plvYYIGclU

"Hero" shot

According to the latest philosophy, it's all about making pretty-looking shots.

#7045 carbman

carbman

Megatimer

• Members
  • 348 posts
  • LocationPJ

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:42 AM

Did you use a gimbal for the shop shots? Really steady

#7046 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,690 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:01 AM

I caused the camera to levitate with my chi.

#7047 carbman

carbman

Megatimer

• Members
  • 348 posts
  • LocationPJ

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:02 AM

Really steady chi

#7048 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,690 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:00 PM

I actually have quite a lot of video equipment. I don't talk about them here. I don't use them much since I don't shoot video much. Video shooting is no fun as a solitary activity. It works best if you have people helping you. Otherwise, you spend two hours preparing for a 4-second shot, which is what happened with the shop shot and hero shot.

#7049 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,690 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:09 PM

Cuff shot. Will need some stabilisation in post.

https://youtu.be/EpLEvGdkH4U

#7050 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,690 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:23 PM

Really rough cut just for fun. Some parts really wonky.
https://youtu.be/dirEWiujh7I

I want more humans to appear in the commercial (apart from Coatmaker B ) but that will only be possible this weekend when the part timer is available to shoot me, and for me to shoot her.

#7051 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,690 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:36 PM

You'll notice that a shot looks boring whenever the camera is stationary. The camera should always and forever be moving, preferably smoothly.

#7052 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,690 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:44 PM

DSC00001-Edit.jpg?raw=1

#7053 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,690 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:10 PM

Just had an interesting conversation in the shop. This guy is a veteran with tailors. He has used so many. Unlike most people I meet, he was very clear on what cloth he wants: Holland & Sherry Cool Breeze. I showed him that book, and also brought out the heavier brother, Crispaire. The latter he dismissed quickly: Oh, he said, I have one in that---too heavy!

I learn that he has two suits in the Cool Breeze, and he is interested in two more. He has visited most of the leading tailors in KL and has suits from quite a number of them.

The people I meet differ in what I call "takt rate". That is, how quickly they process things, make decisions, cause things to happen, etc. Some people have a low takt rate---it takes them a while to make a decision, they don't know how to think about a problem, and generally not much happens with them. Others, OTOH, think through many issues rapidly, make many things happen over the course of a day. They are like a high clock-speed Intel processor. Generally, they become like that because of the demands of their jobs. Well, this guy today is high takt rate.

#7054 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,690 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:50 PM

Just made the young Malay undercutter a job offer.

#7055 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,690 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:06 PM

It came to him, as you would imagine, as completely unexpected. After all, I had barely spoken two sentences to him in the several months I've known him. Only today did we have a real conversation, in which I learn he has been working for his boss/master-cutter for five years. I imagine he started work after SPM, which means he's early 20's in age, which is also how he appears to me.

I see all kinds of people nearly daily, some are very senior not just in age but also position. I've really dealt with them all: ministers, CEOs of public listed companies, senior partners at well-known PSFs, etc. Even one bank CEO. I lost all fear of talking to senior people years ago. I see them as just human beings. Which they in fact are, as most of you already know. Once you've done it a few times, it's peanuts.

When this young Malay guy was talking to me, he was practically trembling. With fear. I imagine it's like Carlos Ghosn of Nissan saying he wants to talk to you and you show up at his office. He has a reputation for aggression and intensity, and you are not sure what he wants of you and how you are to talk to him.

In the five years under his boss, he has always worked in the back room, never seeing customers, not even Malay ones (his boss is Chinese). His boss is also his relative. This means he gets along, and also he is not fed up with the work yet. Some people are quite restless and would not stay in one position for this long.

Especially not at such a pay. I asked, but he wouldn't tell me. When I told him how much I was paying, it didn't wow him but I can see it is higher than what he is currently making. Seeing he was not particularly impressed, I told him I can still do something about the pay.

#7056 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,690 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:21 PM

The latest cut
https://youtu.be/C3ubqrBLF8M

There is 3 seconds more to go, which we will fill with some shots of me tomorrow.

#7057 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,690 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:50 PM

BTS
https://youtu.be/JxnMZKbqgV0

#7058 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,690 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:01 PM

I nominated today to be my work-free day, so I mostly did what I wanted today, as opposed to what I must. So on an off day when I could do anything I want, what did I do? Mostly just four things:

1. Slept till I naturally awoke and could sleep no more
2. Had a vegan, low cooking oil lunch
3. Had a good coffee
4. Went exploring the golf course with the dog
5. Write on this forum

I have a relatively well-funded bank account (thanks to some of you), so lack of funds is not an impediment to a more cash-intensive day. I find that, the older I get, the cheaper I am to maintain. Who would have thought?

I felt very reflective the whole day. I reflected mostly on the dynamics of the tailoring business. In particular, I thought about the competition. They have become noticeably more sophisticated. There are also new entrants. Nothing particularly interesting, however. For a number of years, I had a constant recurring thought: that a business is like a bird table. I've never had a bird table, but I read somewhere that not all bird tables attract birds. Even when generously heaped with bird feed, some bird tables remain exasperatingly vacant of birds. To have birds flocking to a bird table, you need to understand the psyche of birds more than you need good feed. Here an excerpt from the British Bird Lovers website:

"Place your bird table where it is quiet and the birds will not be disturbed, so if possible put it in your back garden rather than the front. Don't place it by a path or other area where there is a lot of human traffic. However, remember that part of the fun of feeding birds is that you can watch them so don't place it too far from the house.

"Make sure the birds have a good all round view from your bird table so they are safe from predators such as cats and squirrels when they feed. Avoid placing it near fences, trees and dense bushes.

"Your bird table should be positioned in sheltered spot so that it does not get too much direct sunlight or cold wind.

"A small bush or tree about 2 metres from the bird table gives the birds somewhere safe to perch so they can see if it is safe to feed. They can also use it for queueing up for a place on the table and retreat to it quickly if they are disturbed.

"A raised bird table is easier to view so either get one that is already mounted on a post or one that you can hang from a branch. Some birds such as blackbirds, thrushes and chaffinches prefer to feed from the ground so think about getting more than one feeding station."

And you thought all you need is some sunflower seeds, huh?

I'm surprised at the improvements the competition have made to their bird tables. They've made great advancements in non-traditional areas of competition. I thought they'd continue sleeping.

I've always tended to avoid competition. Mostly because when I compete, I lose. The wisdom of avoiding head-on competition became even more apparent to me when I was in university, because unlike in the real world, university is packed with super smart people. Good news is, once you get out of university, the people in the real world look so dumb.

But to get back to my point: I minted a competitive strategy for myself during my hyper competitive university days (when there were constant competitions against very smart people). It boiled down to a single mantra: Outsmarting smarter people. The problem with smart people is that they are like very muscular wrestlers. They always seek head-on competition within the rules set by the organisers. They want the gold medal. They want the sort of success that everybody sees as success.

In reality, the possibilities afforded by life are limited only by your imagination. It is not necessary to compete with others, especially not in an arena fenced by ropes with a referee and watched over by organisers. You can do something where nobody thinks to compete in, and do very well. No competitors. No arena. No fence. No referees. No organisers. You do your own thing. The field of endeavour is wholly unorganised. And the gold medal? What do you do with one?

Anyway. Now that there are smart competitive people putting their bird tables close to mine, I was wondering today how the future should be like. Where do I do things, so as not to be too close to them (metaphorically speaking).

#7059 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,690 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:30 PM

While typing the above, I was reminded of something a boss told me once. He said unless I fixed one aspect of my character (I can't remember what that was; I think he just found me unmanageable), he will not send opportunities my way.

It struck me then as the dumbest thing I heard in a long time. Amongst us are some people who are not passive, compliant receivers of opportunities you give them. They create opportunities for themselves and others. They cannot help themselves. It's what they habitually do. They are opportunity creators.

That was one dumb boss.

#7060 badeggcat

badeggcat

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:27 PM

Pride.

Rather amusing given your loathing for gluttony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users