7102 replies to this topic

#7081 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:29 PM

So I met with the says.com writer today. She's an avid photographer, who is also a Sony A7II user (I used to own that camera myself). We also both own the Sony A6300. She's very into photography, much like myself.

She said she heard about me through her colleagues, which was why I was included in the list. The way she described it, it would appear I am relatively "known" amongst these circles. Reflecting on this now at night at home, this tells me how important it is to have an accessible price point offering for young (20-something year old) urban Chinese Malaysians. It's a lot of work for not much money, but it means you come into contact with the broader society. Over the years, I've become more upmarket, and with this comes a certain isolation from "regular" people. Hopefully if the young Malay cutter decides to work for me, I can re-introduce the lower end offering. As well as start accepting shirt-only customers again. I actually want to remain a mainstream option, and not become elitist. It's like how Mercedes used to make large, expensive sedans and nothing else. Then came a change of strategy: to make the premium offering in every category of cars, hence now the A, B and C-class Mercedes. Eventually, even Porsche went this way.

I asked her many questions, but the question which elicited the most useful reply was: "Most of us tailors do not understand digital marketing. Typically, you open shop in either a shopping mall or in a shoplot in a commercial square and rely on the human traffic outside the shop for your customers. Knowing what you know, what would you do differently?"

She was faced with such a question for the first time, and was flailing.

I said: Assume your father is a tailor and he is retiring. He wants you to take over. Business has been declining for the past few decades. What would you do by way of marketing, knowing what you do as a digital marketeer?

Her answer, though not new to me, is something that I want to do sooner rather than later.

#7082 takashi

takashi

Megatimer

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:45 AM

Well in SG such an example exist, LC Via?

#7083 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:33 AM

Ah. It turns out Leong Tailor is dead. Practically every older Malaysian tailor knows of Leong Tailor. Once upon a time, one of the leading tailors in Singapore. One day, an even bigger idiot than myself will be running JTT and he will run it into the ground just like whoever it was who last ran Leong Tailor. Not that it matters. Just an observation.

#7084 badeggcat

badeggcat

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:58 PM

Disapproval? Nah... it’s more like puzzlement. What’s the end goal for these projections? To be an “icon” like a Soup Nazi? Or is the answer simple, that you’re just a scorpion.

#7085 badeggcat

badeggcat

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:09 PM

I’m a fan of how you market yourself but you’re rather fond of writing stuff that are inconsistent with the message.

#7086 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:57 PM

There is no end goal. In a couple of decades, none of us here will be alive. Life is experiential, not existential. Think of it as play.

After lunch with the digital marketeer yesterday, a whole new vista for engagement with a broader audience opened up. So interesting. Not sure if I should write about here, due to the competitors reading this. The most important aspects of the business are actually secret, and I do not talk about them, though sometimes tempted to.

#7087 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:51 PM

Just now, a moviemaker was in the shop. He shot the above *while on holiday*. I'm so impressed. I tried to get an idea of how much I have to compensate him for a video, and it sounded OK to me. I might hire him for my next video.

#7088 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:52 PM

Above all, he was eager to shoot for me.

#7089 carbman

carbman

Megatimer

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationPJ

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:52 PM

Wow! That's how holidays should be archived! Not the thousands of stills that never see the light of day. I like how the shots varied in motion and speed, as well as in stability.

#7090 zjchen

zjchen

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:33 AM

So I met with the says.com writer today. She's an avid photographer, who is also a Sony A7II user (I used to own that camera myself). We also both own the Sony A6300. She's very into photography, much like myself.
She said she heard about me through her colleagues, which was why I was included in the list. The way she described it, it would appear I am relatively "known" amongst these circles. Reflecting on this now at night at home, this tells me how important it is to have an accessible price point offering for young (20-something year old) urban Chinese Malaysians. It's a lot of work for not much money, but it means you come into contact with the broader society. Over the years, I've become more upmarket, and with this comes a certain isolation from "regular" people. Hopefully if the young Malay cutter decides to work for me, I can re-introduce the lower end offering. As well as start accepting shirt-only customers again. I actually want to remain a mainstream option, and not become elitist. It's like how Mercedes used to make large, expensive sedans and nothing else. Then came a change of strategy: to make the premium offering in every category of cars, hence now the A, B and C-class Mercedes. Eventually, even Porsche went this way.
I asked her many questions, but the question which elicited the most useful reply was: "Most of us tailors do not understand digital marketing. Typically, you open shop in either a shopping mall or in a shoplot in a commercial square and rely on the human traffic outside the shop for your customers. Knowing what you know, what would you do differently?"
She was faced with such a question for the first time, and was flailing.
I said: Assume your father is a tailor and he is retiring. He wants you to take over. Business has been declining for the past few decades. What would you do by way of marketing, knowing what you do as a digital marketeer?
Her answer, though not new to me, is something that I want to do sooner rather than later.

1. Most 20 odd year olds have a price threshold of uniqlo. are you sure you want that kind of market?
2. Definitely a lot of Instagram and pictures of men wearing your stuff should do the trick.

#7091 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:30 PM

DSC00264.jpg?raw=1

Dunno who this belongs to...

#7092 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:24 AM

1. Most 20 odd year olds have a price threshold of uniqlo. are you sure you want that kind of market?
2. Definitely a lot of Instagram and pictures of men wearing your stuff should do the trick.

1. I have very many customers in their twenties. They pay many multiples of uniqlo. They seem perfectly fine with my prices (obviously they are self selecting, those who aren't fine do not show up in the shop).

I think it is important to have a sub-2K offering. Something I currently am too busy to offer. You reach the broader population this way. I won't be seeing those customers (someone else will). It makes JTT part of the conversation out there. 4K for most people is interstellar. If that is your starting point, you are relevant to very few people and nobody talks about you and you are not part of the consciousness of the public. When that happens, not even those who can easily afford 4k will find out about you. It's like you do not exist.

But that is not an offering we glorify. The marketing collaterals will continue to feature our top end offering. I will continue to create myths and romance around the apex products. Through photos and videos and stories and by association with certain people and events and organisations, we increase the density of the intangibles that form the aura of each suit.

2. Concocting an approach presently...

#7093 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:05 PM

IMG_20180114_171325.jpg?raw=1

#7094 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:14 PM

Supposedly my logo together with H&S' have been aired in the end credits of Ruang Bicara Astro 502 since 1/1/18. 10-11pm weekdays. I don't own a TV and don't watch it so I haven't seen it myself. Once the commercial is ready, it will also be aired during that programme.

#7095 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:33 PM

The H&S distributor in Singapore wanted a video of the end credits, so I suggested he instruct his (sole) Malaysian employee to shoot her TV screen with her phone.

Turns out she doesn't own a TV either.

Malaysian TV sucks so bad, not even Malaysians watch it.

#7096 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:15 PM

I then told the part timer she should film the start/end credits. She said she, too, has no TV.

#7097 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:27 PM

There was a lull in business in Nov/Dec. Coatmaker E, not having any jackets to make, decided to make another go at the Laksamana. He made two previous attempts but they failed.

This time he succeeded. I hope to take pics of it tomorrow.

#7098 kenterong

kenterong

Megatimer

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:44 PM

With concave shoulders?

#7099 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:44 PM

DSC09262.jpg?raw=1

Laksamana

#7100 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:18 AM

I'm currently planning a photo and video shoot in March. It will be shot in Top Secret Location 1 and Top Secret Location 2. There will be two models, Mystery Model 1 and Mystery Model 2.

Last shoot, the clothes were modelled by an 18-yo kid. Could almost have been accused of child labour. We've matured now as a company. This time, the clothes will be modelled by 19-yo kids.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users