kotmj

Cool, remarkable or just beautiful things

Lawyers are usually poor marketers, and that is a fine example. What a stupid idea.

Still, a poor second to a firm I saw advertising divorces on a buy one and get one free basis.

Pretty cool video, I thought was beutifully made.

http://thisismadebyhand.com/

I just watched the video on the knife-maker. This is fantastic, thank you for the link.

A few points of note from that video:

1. It took him 15,000 hours (roughly 2 years) to get to day 1 (which is the day he made a knife he found acceptable). This is roughly in accord with what Malcolm Gladwell asserts, that it takes roughly 10,000 hours of deliberate practice to be proficient in a field of endeavour. I approach this from an investment manager's expertise angle, but it is surprising how things/concepts are equally applicable across seemingly disparate industries.

2. The difference in handmade items are all in the details.

3. You need a consumer base who is willing to be educated (forget China at the moment).

4. The goal is to reach the pinnacle of craftsmanship, but the reward is rarely monetary, it is more in the relationships/quality of life that ensues.

There kotmj, more material for your interview.

I think a lot of what makes great products so difficult to bring to market is that greatness comes from the pursuit of a certain ideal, and that this ideal is worth pursuing because it is far removed from "industry standards". So great products are great because they are not standard products.

The problem when you are developing something very different from industry standard is that the excellence cannot come merely from yourself. Most products are very complex and require contributions from many suppliers. Your product isn't just yours -- it's also your suppliers'. What are the chances that you can get your ecosystem of suppliers to deliver products which are vastly different from what they are used to producing?

Many suppliers won't bother. They know where the money comes from -- sell more of their existing products, make them more cheaply. To go on speculative development projects with a crazy guy is ambiguos, takes up energy, and may not pay off.

So the reason why most products are average is that it takes huge amounts of energy, persuasion and fortitude to achieve a noticeable elevation from the average. It helps to be very vertically integrated, because what you fail to persuade can then be dictated by executive fiat.

To be a real luxury producer requires vertical integration.

This thought came to me after I tried over the last month to get a great business card out of this designer but all she could deliver is a generic one.

Man, the graphic designer is so mediocre. Have a find a better one pretty soon.

There is a lot of demand for minimalist graphic design. We're talking lots of wide space, sans serif fonts, light grey elements, etc.

There is some demand for retrospective designs. Old fashioned designs. ("Distinguished" some would say.) So Garamond fonts. Dark type.

But nobody does designs which engender a strong sense of occasion and wonder.

This is one of Cirque Du Soleil's setups. What a great design.

cirque-du-soleil-rainphoto.jpg

I was at a customer's apartment. He collects art. So all around were paintings and prints. I saw two new prints he had framed -- one was captivating. He got it from the Guggenheim. Camille Pissarro's The Hermitage at Pontoise. The quality of the print is astonishing. I could not tell if I was looking at a reproduction or an oil painting. The cracks in the paint - are those real or just ink? Only USD20 from here

http://www.guggenheimstore.org/pisposheratp.html

The painting is also very affecting. It doesn't look special in online pictures but in person it's difficult to stop looking at it.

Lawyers are usually poor marketers, and that is a fine example. What a stupid idea.

Still, a poor second to a firm I saw advertising divorces on a buy one and get one free basis.

Very astute observation...I can bet you there is no such card being exchanged at the moment. In the world of advertising this is known as a scam...a piece of eye-catching creativity (that often ignores logical considerations like usability) done just to win an award for creativity.

Interesting you bought all in one Mcintosh, they're usually known for the amps. How's the sound anyways? And the price if you dont mind me asking?

I find myself wishing Apple would make a calculator. How cool would that be, instead of the Canon crap I have to use.

Interesting you bought all in one Mcintosh, they're usually known for the amps. How's the sound anyways? And the price if you dont mind me asking?

I used to own separates and could never get over the obsessive upgrading of components...theres always a better tube, cable or power conditioner and it drove me nuts.

This allows me to get out of that mode and just enjoy the music. The musical signature is very mcIntosh..warm, tubey, very analog and superb musical separation. I love it.

Ong sells it in Sin and Msia for some godawful markup, which I feel is unjustified ....needless to say they did not get my business....the worldwide RRP is USD6.5K.

I used to own separates and could never get over the obsessive upgrading of components...theres always a better tube, cable or power conditioner and it drove me nuts.

This allows me to get out of that mode and just enjoy the music. The musical signature is very mcIntosh..warm, tubey, very analog and superb musical separation. I love it.

Ong sells it in Sin and Msia for some godawful markup, which I feel is unjustified ....needless to say they did not get my business....the worldwide RRP is USD6.5K.

I have an entry level separates, i got when in my student days. Thankfully i'm not really into upgrading so it stayed pretty much the same. I am getting jaded with the system, was contemplating all in one Denon or an AV sytem. I've got an affinity towards Denon. Cant bloody afford the McIntosh even the all in one system. Crazy man at that prices you can get reasonable separates. Well its McIntosh, you get what you pay for.

I'd like recommendations for a good A4 paper to print on. I've extensive experience with the usual brands like "Double A" which is commonly used in offices. The problem with papers of this quality (they're all the same) is they become fuzzy and mushy after a tiny bit of handling. Say you print out your AirAsia boarding pass on it. By the time you reach your destination, the paper is no longer presentable. It looks like a wad of tissue paper.

I admire the Japanese-made exercise books Muji used to sell. The quality is fabulous and the paper starts off crisp and remains crisp even after much handling. Another example of really good paper is this Maruman memo pad from Kinokuniya.

PB100004.jpg

I used it to jot down shirt specs for the shirtmaker, and even after much handling, the memo paper comes back wrinkled, yes, but still crisp.

I am looking for an equivalent in A4 size, plain, for the laser printer.

Thanks!