kotmj

Cool, remarkable or just beautiful things

closer to home. disturbingly beautiful.

60856_146959055341875_1159419_n.jpg

60293_146959488675165_3350783_n.jpg

60493_146959332008514_7102471_n.jpg

59327_146959282008519_3314184_n.jpg

just noticed this. went there twice to dive. not to forget, a great place to escape from it all (pretty much no mobile phone coverage).

I've been looking at brochure designs yesterday, and cannot believe the junk that is paraded as "inspirational" brochure designs. If there is one industry that is broken, it is the business of designing brochures.

The problem with these stupid designers is that they think the end customer is buying cool graphic design. So the brochures tend to be very "designery". Which I find irrelevant. Just look at some of the junk here:

http://www.designyourway.net/blog/inspiration/print-inspiration-from-55-splendid-brochure-designs/

They're all like that.

Those sort of brochures totally do not work, and I am amazed there is such a big industry populated by the comatose.

You know what works? Show the fucking product. Just the product, in the best possible light. Graphic design should be so minimal, it's almost zero. IKEA is the master at this.

20121.jpg

fy13_cat.jpg

• Like 1

A train of thought just came to me. What sort of graphic design language would be instantly interpreted by people as "stratospheric", as in belonging to the stratosphere where the air is thin. Like standing on the pinnacle of Mount Everest.

One thing led to another -- here's Luigi Colani, industrial designer. He speaks exactly like my former boss who I've always liked and respected. Colani is amazing. He designed the futuristic Canon T90, an astonishingly futuristic design for its time and which is still the template for Canon cameras today.

Bad in terms of what?

Ok, one concrete way the ipad is truly bad: sometimes I want to write something longish on this forum, but the ipad is the worst typing tool around, so I don't. The ipad encourages consumption, not creation.

I got myself the Surface. I'm typing on it now.

It is a real computer, unlike the toy-like iPad. It multitasks; right now there's a youtube vid running in the background. Try that with the iPad.

The Type Cover 2 is awesome -- it's backlit, ultra thin, yet has physical, mechanical keys. Typing on this is so satisfying, unlike the unbearable pain of typing with the iPad.

The kickstand props the tablet up at an optimal angle. The whole setup with the kickstand and the type cover is very stable on the desk. Miles more stable than an iPad in a cover/case.

I would throw the stupid iPad out of the window if it isn't worth second hand as much as a new Surface. I am astounded such a fantastic product as the Surface is such a big flop while the far inferior iPad was such a hit.

I've just been using the Surface RT to do emails, schedule appointments for this weekend, etc. and wow! what a big difference over the iPad in sheer pleasure and efficiency. OneNote is amazing, as is the option of going to desktop view where the Surface functions just like a laptop. It is really a tablet and laptop in one. So much more powerful than an ipad, even the photo viewer is significantly more powerful than iPad's fantastically lame equivalent. All this power without having to jailbreak anything or download an app for every single thing you want to do.

The Surface RT shames the iPad. I even find the build quality better.

Here is the setup. I find I prefer the full sized Apple keyboard over the Type Cover 2, so I'll use the latter only while on-the-go. The Surface is amazing.

IMG_4629_zps1a43e0f8.jpg

The Surface RT is the tablet I've been needing all this while. And today, I have found the perfect case for it. My pulse rate went up when I saw the case... there is genius in it.

I present you the Cocoon Grid-It Wrap 11".

IMG_4640_zpsd60e95b5.jpg

It has these siliconized elastic bands you use to secure various bric a brac. USB sticks, SD card readers, pens, power cords, earphones, etc. A neoprene flap covers it all.

IMG_4641_zps19f0397e.jpg

This Mulsanne video is almost 5 years old. Concentrate on how the product is presented, not the product itself. I've always liked how it makes me want one, for no obvious reason.